Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #1

2008 Georgetown 340 steering stabilizer

Fighting winds from Louisiana to Utah I’m in Southwest Utah in Zion NP right now looking for a good shop to install a steering stabilizer and any shop/ make recommendations? We’re between Cedar city in Saint George UT
ffalgoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #2

[QUOTE=ffalgoust;1816376]Fighting winds from Louisiana to Utah I’m in Southwest Utah in Zion NP right now looking for a good shop to install a steering stabilizer and any shop/ make recommendations? We’re between Cedar city in Saint
coffeegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:39 PM   #3

[QUOTE=coffeegrinder;1816404]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffalgoust View Post
Fighting winds from Louisiana to Utah I’m in Southwest Utah in Zion NP right now looking for a good shop to install a steering stabilizer and any shop/ make recommendations? We’re between Cedar city in Saint

Look on the internet for Roadmaster Steering Stabilizers. I had one put on my Georgetown and a stabilizer bar. The coach now handles like a sports car compared to a Frito truck
coffeegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:02 AM   #4

Steering stablizer

Had an Saf-t-plus stabilizer installed two years ago....should have done it before our Alaskan trip. Great deal of improvement...lot less of two handed steering with semi trucks and wind shears in valleys or over bridges.....Bob
margesdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #5

ffalgoust, you are looking for a steering stablizer? Is this new equipment or replacement equipment?
Old 05-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #6

I hope you find one! I have trip coming up towards the end of June from Dallas to Panama City Florida. I have only made one longish trip from Dallas to Port Aransas Texas and the trucks kinda pushed me around some. I was constantly checking my mirrors for passing trucks trying to be ready and compensate for the "push". It wasn't terrible but it was exhausting.

After reading your post, I just ordered a Roadmaster system today. In addition to the safety benefit of helping during a blowout, I hope it will help the "push".

Good Luck!
Old 05-22-2018, 11:57 PM   #7

Camping World in St. George has Saf T Plus stabilizers. I have one on my GT280 and it DOES help as gusts and truck winds hit the coach and of course makes blowouts less dangerous. Don't expect miracles though. Stabilizer bar in the rear and the CHF or a bar in the front are the other two pieces of the puzzle.
BTW...the Stabilzer is quite easy to install...even Camping World can do it in a half hour or less.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffalgoust View Post
Fighting winds from Louisiana to Utah I’m in Southwest Utah in Zion NP right now looking for a good shop to install a steering stabilizer and any shop/ make recommendations? We’re between Cedar city in Saint George UT
I have the Blue Ox TruCenter Steering Control (steering stabilizer) and the CHF (cheap handling fix) on my FR3.

The TruCenter has a button to recenter in a cross wind.
Blue Ox TruCenter Steering Control

I drove about 4,000 miles last summer. When I had a cross wind, I am able to recenter the steering with a push of the button. It was like hitting the cruise button. I give it a two .

There is a dealer in Saint George UT.
Indy RV
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:44 AM   #9

I also just installed the Roadmaster stablizer on our new to us 2008 Georgetown 373 and did the CHF which made a huge difference. I know you are traveling but the install was pretty easy and if you can get the part most any garage or mechanic could do the install. It would be easier on a lift but I did it on the ground and it wasn't too bad.

Good luck and you will enjoy the added safety ease of driving.

2008 Georgetown 373DS
jmck1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #10

Installing a safe-t-steer tomorrow on my 378 with 18k. Will let you know how big a difference it makes. Already did the CHF....
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #11

Thanks. We did the CHF before and it made a big difference. We installed a white Saf T Plus and it did make a nice difference. My neck no longer hurts after 5 hours of driving, it helps with wind gust and big rigs don’t push as hard when they pass.
ffalgoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:06 PM   #12

I second the Roadmaster. Pretty easy install if you are already in alignment. That is a must to get your bang for the buck with any of the steering add ons. My second add on was a roadmaster rear sway bar. Those 2 have made the drive much less stressful. Was able to go 450 miles a couple of weeks ago without feeling like a babbling drained shell of a person any more
Old 05-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #13

My George Town 31L5 is now a breeze to drive. I made a change that took care of the 'wandering' front end and most of the push from passing trucks.

Forest River put a sticker on the wall just behind the driver seat with specs.

Included on the sticker is the psi for all tires. I carefully followed that requirement for the first 7,000 miles.

Then, when I got my coach back from servicing, the tech had put 98 psi in all tires. I thought ill of the tech at first, but no more.

Since the Goodyear tires are rated at 110 psi (on the sidewall), I decided to give the higher psi a try.

WOW!! What a difference. No more wandering front end and very little push from passing trucks.

I'll now keep the tires at 98 psi, but may try a couple of pounds higher to see if that makes any difference.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
My George Town 31L5 is now a breeze to drive. I made a change that took care of the 'wandering' front end and most of the push from passing trucks.

Forest River put a sticker on the wall just behind the driver seat with specs.

Included on the sticker is the psi for all tires. I carefully followed that requirement for the first 7,000 miles.

Then, when I got my coach back from servicing, the tech had put 98 psi in all tires. I thought ill of the tech at first, but no more.

Since the Goodyear tires are rated at 110 psi (on the sidewall), I decided to give the higher psi a try.

WOW!! What a difference. No more wandering front end and very little push from passing trucks.

I'll now keep the tires at 98 psi, but may try a couple of pounds higher to see if that makes any difference.
I noticed that on my tires also. Interesting. Anyone else doing this? I have mine at 82 which is recommended pressure on the sticker behind my seat.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #15

I run mine at the recommended 82-85 lbs and have no handling issues but I do have a steering stabilizer. Running at higher than recommended levels may be needed if you are loaded to weight capacity on that axle....but if not...then you should keep an eye on TREAD WEAR...too much pressure will wear out the center of the tread faster than the edge... too little pressure will wear out the shoulders faster than the center. I wouldn't run my 19" wheels much over 90...even with a 110 max rating for the tire itself even though it would not be dangerous to the tire...it affects braking and handling if the tire does not roll flat across the tread.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
Installing a safe-t-steer tomorrow on my 378 with 18k. Will let you know how big a difference it makes. Already did the CHF....
Follow-up.... Had my 378 aligned and safe-t-steer installed... Now 1500+ miles later. CHF done 10k miles ago. CHF makes the biggest difference and is free. At first I couldn't describe the difference with the stabilizer. It just makes the coach "behave". Much more comfortable driving. Now cruise comfortably at 65 instead of fighting 62. Still feel the road crown. Less issues with passing semis. Find myself less tired after 300 miles than I was at 200 before. Bottom line - well worth it.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #17

2008 Georgetown 340 steering stabilizer

Just returned from out west trip to all 5 Utah NP, Las Vegas and Grand Canyon. Going out there, winds and truck passings were brutal. Decided to get my rv front aligned in Las Vegas at A Arrow Alignment, Decatur Blvd. The difference was night and day! Piece of cake driving home. Of course, there’s gonna be some wind movement as you’re driving a solid mass. But, I wish I had done it when I first bought it. I drive a Geo XL, 2017.
patyoung1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown