Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #1

2008 Georgetown Brake controller connector

We just bought a new Georgetown 315DS, it is on the F53 chassis, I am assuming it has a connector for a brake controller under the dash somewhere since it has a 7 pin connector on the rear hitch, right? Could someone with a Georgetown point me in the right area? I can't seem to find it and I am fixing to buy a tow dolly. It doesn't help that the doghouse cover is in the way and my back gets sore after 2 minutes from laying between the hump and the drivers seat. Thanks

Kevin
Old 06-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #2

We have an '09 Georgetown 378, never seen any mention of or heard of a plug in for a controller. Maybe you should call a Ford dealer and ask.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Site Team

I posted this in the other thread but thought I'd post it here to make it easier to find.

Take a look at this file. It shows the connector to be behind the center instrument panel. I read where one guy found it taped to the steering column.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/TRUCKBBAS...tml/Q119R1.pdf

You should have a pigtail to connect to it, but if not you can get one from either Ford or if you'd rather, Tekonsha makes one. Their part number is 3034-P. It goes from the 14 pin plug to the controller.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #4

You have to tap into a wire from the brake pedal that is located along the steering column. Take off the plastic cover and you will see the harness. One word of caution make sure you tap into the light green wire and not the red wire or you will create a dead short if you use the brake controller in manual mode. ( This is for the ford chassis only) The brake controller has a harness that is connected to the battery and a ground wire. Then the harness goes through the firewall and connects to the brake controller. It's not difficult, but if you have a bad back; you would be better off paying a mechanic to do the job. Again, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT USE THE RED WIRE FORM THE B.RAKE PEDAL TO CONNECT THE CONTROLLER
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #5

I'll add my experience to the thread in case it helps someone.

I'm installing the Unified Tow Brake on my Georgetown 370XL (2008 motorhome. VIN codes the chassis as a 2006 F53 V10 with 20 valves). I ran the UTB cable by followed an existing cable bundle from the rear of the coach to the front and then needed to get blue wire and connector into the cab.

I found an existing hole that wasn't used under the steering column. It was a tight fit under a metal cylinder that I'm guessing is part of the power steering. I hoping this cylinder doesn't get too hot. I will be checking this frequently on the next few trips until I get comfortable.

The hole was barely big enough to feed the connector thru, but it went after a few tries and some naughty words.

Once in the cab, I pulled the instrument panel (easy removal of some screws) and dug around in there. Found nothing.. got frustrated..

With some help from the links in this thread and the Ford fleet website I found the cable colors for the after market tow brake connector (red, green, blue, white, brown) and started looking for a matching group of cables (vs. an unused connector). I found the bundle (no connector, which I would have cut off anyway) and I'm good to go.

So if you can't find the connector.. look for the colors. Heck the cable bundle even had a Ford label wrapped on it with all the wire colors / purpose. I double checked everything and the label was actually correct!

I still have the car installation to do (2008 Saturn Vue), but that will wait for another day.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #6

I had to take the guage cluster out to find mine on a 2006. It was in a rats nest of wires and had a label on it for brake controller. There was also a wire taped into it for the dash air fan so it needs to be hooked back up. It had a connector there to wire up a brake controller I removed it and used the one that came with my controller.
appliancetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
We just bought a new Georgetown 315DS, it is on the F53 chassis, I am assuming it has a connector for a brake controller under the dash somewhere since it has a 7 pin connector on the rear hitch, right? Could someone with a Georgetown point me in the right area? I can't seem to find it and I am fixing to buy a tow dolly. It doesn't help that the doghouse cover is in the way and my back gets sore after 2 minutes from laying between the hump and the drivers seat. Thanks

Kevin
Here ya go!! Just wired mine up today. We have a new 2008 350SE TS. Took the instrument panel out. The correct harness is hard to find, but it is there. I had to pull the AC and heater duct tubes out of the way before I found the harness but I just knew it had to be there! Ford has prewired all their trucks for brake controllers since '92. Our G'towns have the same six pin connector that is used under the dash of every F series Ford I have ever worked on. View the photos and ask questions if you got any..!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	027.JPG
Views:	879
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	1818   Click image for larger version

Name:	028.JPG
Views:	557
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	1819   Click image for larger version

Name:	029.JPG
Views:	2017
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	1820  
Old 09-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #8

Hi Steve,
I'm getting ready to install a "Unified Tow Brake" on my 07 349TSF pulling a Ford Taurus X and I've gotta ask...... why can't I (didn't you) just use the existing Blue wire in the bundle that comes from the 7 pin connector with the Brn, Red, Wht and Grn wires that already power the Toad turn signals and brake light(s)? Is there some reason you ran a new wire?

TIA, Don Blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaSteve View Post
I'll add my experience to the thread in case it helps someone.

I'm installing the Unified Tow Brake on my Georgetown 370XL (2008 motorhome. VIN codes the chassis as a 2006 F53 V10 with 20 valves). I ran the UTB cable by followed an existing cable bundle from the rear of the coach to the front and then needed to get blue wire and connector into the cab.

I found an existing hole that wasn't used under the steering column. It was a tight fit under a metal cylinder that I'm guessing is part of the power steering. I hoping this cylinder doesn't get too hot. I will be checking this frequently on the next few trips until I get comfortable.

The hole was barely big enough to feed the connector thru, but it went after a few tries and some naughty words.

Once in the cab, I pulled the instrument panel (easy removal of some screws) and dug around in there. Found nothing.. got frustrated..

With some help from the links in this thread and the Ford fleet website I found the cable colors for the after market tow brake connector (red, green, blue, white, brown) and started looking for a matching group of cables (vs. an unused connector). I found the bundle (no connector, which I would have cut off anyway) and I'm good to go.

So if you can't find the connector.. look for the colors. Heck the cable bundle even had a Ford label wrapped on it with all the wire colors / purpose. I double checked everything and the label was actually correct!

I still have the car installation to do (2008 Saturn Vue), but that will wait for another day.
dpbbjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #9

Wow I haven't checked this thread in a while. Yes I found it back in June exactly like your pics behind the Instrument panel. Really pretty easy to take off and plugged right into my adaptor from my Expedition, although I ended up buying an extra adaptor so I don't have to swap it between the Expy and the Georgetown, when I tow with the Expy. Thanks again everybody.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
Canadian Georgetown 369XL

I found my wiring, but what end are you talking about

Is there a special end that will plug directly into the brake controller
Schwing2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #11

Regarding the use of the 7-pin, you can definitely do that from what I've read.

I have a 4 pin and a 7 pin on the rear of my 370XL. I ran the two wire cable under the 370 before I found/figured out the tow brake wires behind the dash.

Then it worked out anyways because the light system in my Saturn Vue is tricky given daytime running lamps and such. I would have been in diode hell.

So to keep things simple I use the 4-pin connector to run to a set of magnetic lights on top of Saturn.

The UTB is VERY nice.. worth every penny.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwing2008 View Post
I found my wiring, but what end are you talking about

Is there a special end that will plug directly into the brake controller
Depends on what brake controller you have. I have a Prodigy so this is what I use,

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...5-17-0060.html
Old 10-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #13

I just returned from my maiden UTB voyage. 800 miles over 5 days. Almost all highway. Amazing difference.

You definitely feel it kicking in. Changes the entire feel of the drive. The TOAD becomes "part of the RV" instead of an add on that pushes you around.

I bet I'll save some $$ on RV brake work over the next few years.... Now if only the TOAD could "push" and help with the gas mileage... :-)

Zero issues!

Tags
brake control, brakes