Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
eyc

2008 roof

Ok, life has been a little hectic this last year, so I really didn’t pay much attention to the RV. After last week’s storms I received a message for the place I keep the RV that a tree fell behind the RV and hit it. The good news is that it was a small tree and just barley hit the back of the RV. It dented the radius and punched hole in the a/c shroud. The bad news is that while I was up on the roof I noticed the front of the roof appeared wrinkled. This is a fiberglass roof so I started to look a little closer to it and noticed that the sides of the roof are delaminating. The right side is almost the full length and the left side is about half the length. The delaminating is only about 4 inches wide so I don’t think it is a structural issue, but I noticde that in the wrinkled area the fiberglass is actually degrading. Has anyone out there run into this before? I think I can see where there is an issue with the caulk on the right front corner, so I am going to seal that tonight. Second question has anyone used eterna bond tape on one of these roofs? This is not a flat fiberglass; it has a people type pattern so I wasn’t sure if the tape would be able to seal it.
eyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
eyc

Looked at the roof more last night, it looks like the roof material is degrading. Found several areas with what appear to be small cracks in the fiberglass in the areas that the delaminating is in. This RV is only 3 and 1/2 years old and it looks like the roof will need to be replaced. I am going to take it to the local dealer where I bought it and see if I can get their opinion. The area that I thought my have started the issue was actually on the side of the front cap and below the roof line so don't really see where that would have caused this.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #3

Will attache some pictures? Last time I was on the roof, I noticed some hair line cracks within the fiberglass, so now you have me concerned...
lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
eyc

Tried to take pictures of the roof last night but you really cannot see the damage in the pictures. I found some area where water could have entered under the roof and sealed those up. I really wouldn't be as upset if it were just a delaminating problem that I could take care of or just not worry with. What concerns me is how much the roof material is degrading in the affected areas.