Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #1

2010 georgetown 373DS slides and jacks will not retract

I removed the Lippert hyd system and replaced the leaking seal in the pump and the overheated burnt out unidirectional electric motor reinstalled it all. Filled the reservoir. Hooked up all the wiring as per manuals and now the unit works to extend but will not retract the slides. I didn't function the levelling jacks because afraid they won't retract like the problem I had earlier after they went down from low fluid in reservoir. Could my problem now be the directional valve not working as a result of the overheated condition from the burnt motor? Can some one out there please tell me what might be wrong now after replacing the parts just mentioned. I manually levered the levelling jacks up before due to air in the system but now have to recycle all the system a few times to ensure all the air is out.
pr_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #2

May be the Lippert polarity reversing solenoid since you had a problem with the motor.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
May be the Lippert polarity reversing solenoid since you had a problem with the motor.
I said I had the unidirectional motor. The old one was burnt out as a result of the leaking pump seal. Motor was saturated with the fluid and over heated and burnt. The unidirectional motor only turns one way by use of the solenoid not bi-directional using the trombeta to revers the current to turn the motor c/clockwise
Old 05-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #4

Just a thought. Sometimes when something go's it will take out another part of the system. Hard to help with you there and me here!
Old 05-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Just a thought. Sometimes when something go's it will take out another part of the system. Hard to help with you there and me here!
Thanx for the quick response just the same. I did however just functioned the unit with the directional valve electrically disconnected and the slides did retract ok. When I reconnected the valve and when selected in or out on the slide switch it started to extend. The directional valve is working just the opposite. It looks like I will have to remove the directional valve to see what is wrong with it. MY RV dealer won't help me with it at all.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #6

Sorry to hear that. Ma
Old 05-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #7

Does any one else out there have any suggestions to why the directional valve is not changing the flow direction from extend to retract when elect power is applied?

Any help will be much appreciated and save me monies as well.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #8

Is that an equalizer system?
Old 05-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #9

Check the main breaker and hit the reset button under steps by batteries
Js2734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Here is a thought. You could have air trapped in the lines. Cycle all the jacks and slides to their full extent and back up/in. Make sure the tank has enough fluid in it and doesn't empty and draw more air into the line. If the reversing valve is not working, you will definitely know it by the sound of the pump.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Is that an equalizer system?
It is a lippert unidirectional motor system
Old 05-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2734 View Post
Check the main breaker and hit the reset button under steps by batteries
The main breaker is fine. If it was tripped I wouldn't have any power to the valves or the pump.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Here is a thought. You could have air trapped in the lines. Cycle all the jacks and slides to their full extent and back up/in. Make sure the tank has enough fluid in it and doesn't empty and draw more air into the line. If the reversing valve is not working, you will definitely know it by the sound of the pump.
There probably is air in the lines because I wasn't able to function the items due to the Bad motor. I have since replaced a seal in the pump and put a new motor on. I tried only one slide. I disconnected the directional valve and then was able to retract the slide. I will try others tomorrow as it is raining here now. I have the levelling jacks strapped up so they wouldn't fall down when I disconnected all the hyd lines at the manifold before removing the complete unit to fix the pump seal like I posted on this before.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would bet this is your problem. You may have to cycle them a couple times to purge all the air out of the system.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I would bet this is your problem. You may have to cycle them a couple times to purge all the air out of the system.
I cycled the jacks and slides several times. I had to disconnect the directional valve when I was retracting. It also wouldn't lift the jacks up once the weight of the RV was off of them. I also read on another forum that folks are having problems with the directional valves so I am assuming that is where me problem is. It could be stuck in one position and not the right one to allow retraction like it is suppose to do when power is applied to it. I'll try to remove it and check it out in a couple of days.

If anyone has a better idea, let's hear it.
Bob
Old 05-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #16

I know exactly what's wrong with your system. You have a shorted component in the wiring harness to the pump. It's also likely the root cause of the motor failure. You must immediately disconnect the reversing relay in the hydraulic control unit or it'll drain your house batteries,destroying them. I know this because I've had two of these wiring harnesses fail on my 2011 Georgetown and the first time it happened, it destroyed the house batteries because the solenoid draws power from them and, unless you have a battery disconnect, there's no way to disconnect the solenoid from them.

You need to get a replacement cable from Lippert. The new cables have been redesigned and should no longer fail this way.

I had a long talk with Lippert when the second cable failed. The circuitry in the cable is designed to introduce a delay between the time the pump starts and when the jack valves open. This lets the pump build up pressure so the jacks don't retract a little before extending further. Apparently the original cable design had a component in it that fried and "locked" the solenoid in the "push the jacks down" position. The quick cure, as you discovered,, is to disconnect power from the solenoid.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #17

jacks not retracting

I cleaned the directional valve and reinstalled it. I also ordered a new valve. I never had any problems like this until I ran out of fluid. I refilled the tank and and because the motor was fried from the fluid ingestion. I manually went into override. I tried to raise the jacks and all that to no avail. When I disconnect the directional valve I can get slides and jacks retracted, but the jacks won't raise off the ground unless I lever them up to the seated retracted position. I since changed the leaking pump seal, put a new motor on and still can't retract with out disconnecting the directional valve. The valve gets really hot when connected. Why would there suddenly be a short in the system just because I ran out of fluid, burnt out the motor? The directional valve will remain disconnected now until my new valve arrives and is installed which will be in about a week. My system has a live (red) wire from the solenoid to a small black unit about 1" square then a green wire from it to the small (+) post on the solenoid, black to the small ground on the solenoid of which is connected to the (-) post on the motor. A white wire from he small black unit to the coil on the directional valve as well as a black ground wire to the system from the coil on the directional valve. This wire harness has all been worked on by a Lippert employee at the RV dealer a year ago where I bought the MH in 2012. I can't confirm there is a short but possibly the directional valve is not functioning properly. What is your take on this?
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #18

I would venture an educated guess that when it took out the motor it more then likely took out more of the electrical till it stopped. I use a tool called a Power Probe. Best investment I ever made for tracing 12 volt elect. problems. Using a 12v bat. you can bench test units out of the vehicle.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #19

Quote:
I would venture an educated guess that when it took out the motor it more then likely took out more of the electrical till it stopped. I use a tool called a Power Probe. Best investment I ever made for tracing 12 volt elect. problems. Using a 12v bat. you can bench test units out of the vehicle.
It wasn't an electric failure that took out my motor as suggested by pmsherman. My hyd pump seal was leaking and saturated the moor. Then the motor failed and burnt as a result of the ingested hyd fluid. I am assuming the directional valve (this is the unidirectiional system using a solenoid instead of a reversing "trombeta" to change the rotation of the elect motor) got dirty from the bottom of the Hydraulic tank when it ran dry while the jacks extended on first start-up this spring to get ready for the RV season 2017.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #20

Just a thought and maybe a moot point. You said you removed the system (manifold also?). If so have you double checked the hoses connected to the manifold for correctness? You said you manually ran some slides or levelers. If so have you reset the actuators allen head screws back to the fully counter clockwise position.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, jacks, slide