Old 02-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
Question 2011 378 Hydraulic Jacks Popping

When up on the jacks, as in parked for the night, the jacks pop. A distinct crack that can be felt in the jack and the fitting on top, this sound sort of makes me nuts after a while.

We have noticed that if we are sitting for several days the sound seems to diminish or go away after about 2 or 3 days. This seems to come from all 4 jacks at one time or the other but has nothing to do with the jacks loosing pressure, it maintains it's level.

Has anyone heard of this?? I was reading a general posting board and someone referred to the "Lippert Alarm Clock" and this occurs when the temp's drop over night then start to go back up in the morning. Has something to do with expansion or contraction of the material in the jack cylinders - I am a skeptic on that one. Another post said the had this when leveled out on concrete, we have had it on concrete, dirt, rock and asphalt, so don't know if that applies.

Any ideas out there?
Thanks, JimF

JimF, CWO, US Army Ret, 100% DAV
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2008 Dodge Caliber Toad
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member
I've never notice any sounds around the jacks when parked. Just the sound of the coach making a noise or two when the sun first hits it in the morning. I would think a change due to temperature wouldn't create a noise since it's such a gradual change but I guess anything is possible. I've been involved in the HVAC trade for 36 years and I do know that once metal is heated and then cools off a pinging or tapping noise can occur from expansion and contraction. But we're talking about a difference of ambient temperatures and a heated duct that is cooling down from that ambient temperature. The jacks are not hot unless they are being used. If you're parked for an hour or two and are hearing it I think that could be the noise you're hearing. I always hear the exhaust piping cooling down and making a clicking sound once I turn off the key. However, if it occurs constantly then that's a different story all together. At first I was thinking air in the lines but that usually goes away once you've cycled the jack in and out a couple times. Have you asked anyone at Lippert? Maybe they could shed some light on this.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
We've had this happen twice both times we were on pavement, also one of those times we parked after dark and noticed the next morning the back jacks were not touching the ground(we set jacks manually) once we releveled it didn't make the popping noise. Seems it gets in a bind on the pavement.
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Being new to this I would like to know if using the leveling jacks do any harm to the unit's frame or any other part of the unit by holding it up for a long period of time? Or should they only be used as stabilizers to keep the coach from shaking?

Also when putting the coach away for the winter months, what is the best way to take the pressure off the jacks & tires ???

Thanks in advance

DANORI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Yup had the same trouble......we re leveled with blocks under front wheels and blocks under jacks seamed to cure it. It drove us nuts, we stay 3months in TX little things will work on you. We have used this camper For 6 mo and stayed in it about 180 days before problem showed up. When it pops you can feel it in the jack, if you hold your hand on the jack. Good luck
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote