Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #1

2011 lci levelers

Today we went to look at a 2011 300S georgetown that is really nice and my wife loves it. Excellent shape and well maintained.
The owner told me that the level system will not operate if ANY electrical appliance ( quoted a cell phone charger) is plugged in ???? Asked if this was because the rv is 30 amp, response was no, that's how it operates ??? Is this correct or does this rv have a problem, cause I have never heard or experienced this on my previous georgetown.. Thanks Larry
Old 10-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #2

Have not heard of any Forest River rv's with AC power levelers and/or slide outs. My GT does call for the engine to be running for leveling and the slides will not extend with ignition on.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:56 AM   #3

I agree bubbles. The unit has hydraulic pump / motor for the slides and levelers. Sounds like he is having an electrical issue to activate the system when something is plugged in and drawing ac power. If we are serious to purchase this RV then a 2nd visit can look into this. Just wanting to check if any other 300S owners have experienced this phenomenon !!!
Old 10-20-2019, 07:15 AM   #4

I can't see how anything 120v would have anything to do whatsoever with the 12v Hydraulic controller and levelers...but the prior owner may have self-diagnosed some other 12v issue confused with this symptom.

I would also say that while it's common to believe that your engine 'must be running' in order to operate the levelers, that's probably not really true. You can simply turn 'on' the ignition, without cranking the engine, and accomplish the same thing. The system has an ignition interlock which requires the key to be in the 'on' position for the controller to have 12v power, and if the House batteries have enough amperage, the levelers can still be deployed... mine works this way.

The prior owner sounds like he is confusing some 120v plugged in item with a 12v system, which is very doubtful that the two have anything to do with each other.
You can level when you are plugged in, when the generator is running, when the engine is running, or even when nothing else is operating. Some believe that the engine must be running in order to give the system the 'ummmpph' it needs to operate the levelers, but since the House batteries power them, it's really the batteries that do the job. The engine running does provide some alternator output to the House batteries, which some believe is required in order to deploy the levelers.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #5

That was my thought, never had this issue when I had my 2006 Georgetown. Appreciate your input. Larry
Old 10-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #6

I ran into a similar problem with my 2012 coach. Turned out that my coach batteries were not fully charged and holding a charge. Causing the hydraulics to react sluggishly.
The coach charger was malfunctioning and subsequently the batteries stopped holding a charge.
Fixed the problem everything is fine.
Bill m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #7

While formerFR is correct about the ignition interlock (stated early in my manual) page 31 of my operations and service manual also states:

AUTOMATIC LEVELING PROCEDURE
NOTE: REFER TO FIG. 4 FOR QUESTIONS REGARDING LOCATION AND FUNCTIONS OF THE LIPPERT COMPONENTS, INC. ELECTRONIC LEVELING SYSTEM. NOTE: Coach must be running for LCI Electronic Leveling System to operate.
1. Push ON/OFF button on Control Panel. The system is now operational and the electronic level lights will become active.
2. Check to see that the Control Pad ENGAGE PARK BRAKE light is not flashing.
NOTE: Engage Parking Brake if ENGAGE PARK BRAKE light is flashing.
3. Push the AUTO button to begin the automatic leveling cycle.
WARNING: After starting the automatic leveling cycle it is very important that you do not move around in the coach until the unit is level and the green LCI logo light illuminates in the center of the touch pad. Failure to remain still during the leveling cycle could have an affect on the performance of the leveling system.
4. If further adjustments are necessary, simply push and hold the MAN button for approximately 5 seconds until the light under this button is illuminated. Push the appropriate leg button to override the system and level the coach to your liking.
W W W W WARNING ARNING ARNING ARNING ARNING! NEVER LIFT ALL THE WHEELS OFF THE GROUND TO LEVEL THE COACH! Lifting all wheels of the ground may result in serious personal injury or death.
5. Push ON/OFF button to de-energize the system.

Added: The alternator output does support the coach batteries via the interconnect relay within the battery control center box. The converter supports the coach batteries when connected to shore power or gen running for slide extensions.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags