Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2011, 01:03 AM   #1

2012 378ts hitch

has anybody changed out there 5000lb hitch for a 10000lb.they say bigger is better.i will be pulling a flat bed trailer with jeep on it,and 2 quads. trailer is 1500lb,jeep,4100lb,2 quads 1500lb.i know i will be over limit of hitch.my brother hauls this combo at times with a 5000lb hitch.i think he is pushing it.got to get all our toys to the woods for hunting.time is getting close to pick up my 378ts in grassvalley california.just cant wait. pete aultom
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Given that the model 378TS is nearly the largest model of the Georgetown line, and that they all have the same Ford Triton V-10 engine, you're really getting up there as to total weight capacities and towing limits. Remember that it's not just the motor power for towing that needs to be taken into consideration, but the stopping ability of what you're towing. The more weight you put behind you for all your toys, the less it leaves for the motorhome itself.

There comes a time when maybe a deisel pusher with more heavy duty considerations is the vehicle of choice.

Be careful out there.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #3

My guess you are over the GVWR allowable for this F53 chassis...You are playing with fire here and if you get pulled onto a weigh scale you stand the risk of a heavy fine and they will make you unhook the trailer or unload the weight. Don't mean to sound mean but changing out the hitch does nothing to fix the problem. Weigh your mh and trailer loaded at a scale and then look at the GCWR of your unit..that will answer your question. Safety First.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #4

378ts hitch

i think the way for us to use this motorhome and towing is to leave some toys home,i would not need to take all of them,just jeep.that way i could leave the hitch alone.jeep,and trailer would be5500lb.trailer and quads would be around 3500 lb with trailer.i got to make some decisions,to be safe. thanks for replies. and maybe tow jeep with all four down.this makes more since. thanks again pete aultom
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #5

Good choice. We tow he Envoy 4 down and leave all the other toys at home for another day...have a couple more happy hours to replace the time on the quads...meet some new people and relax and enjoy..and as you get older you will want to do this anyway...stay safe and have fun.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Hey Petey

There's a saying that goes.........

"He who has the most toys wins"

but that doesn't mean you get to bring them all with you behind the motorhome.

I think your last note makes the most sense...........pace yourself while you have fun!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
378ts