Old 09-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #1

2012 378xl front tire wear

Have 7000 miles on my george town 378,front tires are worn down 1/4 inch more than rear.Went by a ford dealer today and was told that because of the weight and the ford twin I beam that the front tires wear a lot faster.has any one had a problem with there front tires wearing faster. Coach came with Michlin tires.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by manvel View Post
Have 7000 miles on my george town 378,front tires are worn down 1/4 inch more than rear.Went by a ford dealer today and was told that because of the weight and the ford twin I beam that the front tires wear a lot faster.has any one had a problem with there front tires wearing faster. Coach came with Michlin tires.
I have 22,000 miles on my 22.5" tires Michlins and you can net tell they are worn at all. I don't thing they are worn 1/4" yet. They look the same as the rears. Are you sure they wore down 1/4" which is a lot.
The wall sticker says to run all tires at 90 psi but I bumped all of mine up to 100 psi. That and a good front end alignment at 2,800 miles is all I have done.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

Have you ever had the front end aligned.

Mine front tires were wearing fast after 2000 miles. Had the front end aligned, which it was way off, now you can't event tell there has been any wear at all. It now has 5400 miles.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #4

I am going to get the front end aligned,shop close to home is book up today.Found Ford will not aligned under warranty. Forest River wont cover because coach is over a year old,Only 7k .Ford said Forest River should of check when coach was built.From all the things i am still finding on my coach that was not done i don't think it was check!!!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #5

I had the front end alignment done on my coach,it was way off.I put the front tires on the rear,had to dismount and re balance to use same rims on front.Talk to Forest River,sent them all the paper work,they would not cover because motor home was over a year old,only 7 k miles. Wrote motor home magazine hot line,they resent to Forest River,I then receive a check from Forest River to cover repair.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #6

Another thing to worry about that perhaps FR forgot to do...wheel alignment. Ours rides really good, but how do you make sure the alignment is within specs unless you take it in to have it checked? Things like that is what really chaps my hide with manufacturers.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #7

No way to know except have it checked. I had mine done, it was not tracking well, and found it was toed out, had it toed in to max specs, and what a difference. From two handed all the time to one hand if I want. Also do the free suspension fix, makes all the difference in the world.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
Originally Posted by manvel View Post
I don't think the 378 has the twin I beam front end.
Did anyone at the Ford dealers look at it?
My F350 pickup with a heavy PowerStroke engine and twin I beam front end got a lot more miles on the tires before they showed any wear.
If you take it to a heavy truck tire shop and have them check the alinement I think you will get to the bottom of this.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #9

2012 378 has a single I beam

2012 Georgetown 378XL
Toad 07 Lexus RX350
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:23 AM   #10

I manage a Cable TV operation With a fleet of over 75 Ford F series…..250,350.450 and 550 Vans, pickups and bucket trucks. Each and every time we take delivery of a new unit we load it with all the day today equipment to get it to the normal operating weight and before it goes in service it is sent out to our tire supplier and have it aligned. This is an added coast to putting a new truck in service but well worth the money and it also gives us reference paper work from new to go by for future frontend work. By the way most every time the vans with independent suspension will need camber bushing installed because there so out of whack.

2013 days camped 16
wayne in florida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, 378xl, tire