Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2012, 11:09 PM   #1

2012 george town 378

What speed have you found works for best mileage,i toll a 4000lb truck.I get a little over 6mpg,have 2500 miles on coach.
manvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by manvel View Post
What speed have you found works for best mileage,i toll a 4000lb truck.I get a little over 6mpg,have 2500 miles on coach.
I have found my sweet spot is about 2,200 rpm's. That rpm's under different wind conditions around 60-65 miles per hour which get me in the mid to high 7 mpg range pulling my toad on all 4 wheel. The best I have gotton without a toad was 8.8 mpg but It was all highway and running around 60 miles per hour and very light on the peddle. I have almost 7,000 miles on my 2012.

The mpg is not the same in all and depends on drivers, wind conditions, octane of fuel 85 -87 or higher and how many 6% to 10% hills you have to climb, maintaining proper tire pressures, etc.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I have found my sweet spot is about 2,200 rpm's. That rpm's under different wind conditions around 60-65 miles per hour which get me in the mid to high 7 mpg range pulling my toad on all 4 wheel. The best I have gotton without a toad was 8.8 mpg but It was all highway and running around 60 miles per hour and very light on the peddle. I have almost 7,000 miles on my 2012.

The mpg is not the same in all and depends on drivers, wind conditions, octane of fuel 85 -87 or higher and how many 6% to 10% hills you have to climb, maintaining proper tire pressures, etc.
What Iggy said...........
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #4

My 2011 378 does about the same as Iggy's, just a little less pulling an HHR.
ohiobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #5

I'm curious to find this out on mine. With the instant MPG on the ScannGaugeII I installed (or a Germin EcoRoute) this should be easy to see. Set the cruise to various speeds on level ground on a calm day and see what your instant MPG is.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
I'm curious to find this out on mine. With the instant MPG on the ScannGaugeII I installed (or a Germin EcoRoute) this should be easy to see. Set the cruise to various speeds on level ground on a calm day and see what your instant MPG is.

All my calculations are done by hand and not a dash computer.
The only variable is how you fill your tank with fuel so you can be consistant with your full tank measurement.

I fill my tank slowly until it clicks off the automatic fill on the handle and then continue to fill until the next full dollar. If you do this each time you will get a balanced full tank measurement so you can then get a more accurate mpg reading.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #7

Fellow campers.
I am very pleased with an 8.5 mpg average over a 400 mile long, steep hilly drive on I-5. A question that came up for me on the drive was, is it better on the engine and transmission to run the hills in higher rpms, and not load the drive train, or let the rpms run down a bit under 4000, but this puts a load/lug on the engine and transmission. I felt like the lower rpm and load on the engine and transmission heated everything.
Not being an expert at all in this area, I thought some of you out there would be able to put a better light on this for me.
Rongrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongrice View Post
Fellow campers.
I am very pleased with an 8.5 mpg average over a 400 mile long, steep hilly drive on I-5. A question that came up for me on the drive was, is it better on the engine and transmission to run the hills in higher rpms, and not load the drive train, or let the rpms run down a bit under 4000, but this puts a load/lug on the engine and transmission. I felt like the lower rpm and load on the engine and transmission heated everything.
Not being an expert at all in this area, I thought some of you out there would be able to put a better light on this for me.
No experts here but when I see a hill I increase my speed depending on the hill size and length. Last month I had to go over the Tetons Pass west of Jackson Hole. Elevation 9,000 ft with a very steep 10% grade and is about 10 miles to the top.
I really had to get on it to maintain 45 mph but this engine and transmission did it. If I didn't get on it I would have had to drive it at 5 mph with high rpms which I didn't want. When climbing if you loose your rpms you are dead in the water and will creep up very very slowly.
Now I talking a very extreme pass and not just a small hill.

On the highway hills are much more gradual and you still have to increase speed before you get to the start.

Just watch the semi's and see how they do it. The Ford V10 has a governor on it and will not allow you to go over 75 mph.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Tim & Lisa Trempert

The way I check my MPG is I go thru the dash menu to "remaining miles". If I have a full tank I divide by 80, 3/4 tank divide by 60 and so forth. I believe the remaining miles is based on the past 500 miles of driving experience. I get around 7 towing a van on a dolly. I tend to drive 65-70 which I'm sure hurts the MPG.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
The way I check my MPG is I go thru the dash menu to "remaining miles".
My 2008 (on a 2007 chassis) doesn't have that. Pretty cool that they added it. What else does it do?

All my in dash screen displays is Odometer, Trip Odometer and Engine Hours. Just those three, kinda lame.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Pete

We just finished a 5,500 mile, 4 month trip starting in Fort Worth, TX with travels to NM, AZ, So. CA, No. CA, NV, CO and back home. We drove the highs (Red Mountain and Monarch Passes in CO., 11,000+ feet) to the lows (Death Valley’s Badwater Basin, -282 feet) and in temps that varied from 48 degrees to 113 degrees and in all wind conditions.

Our MH is the Georgetown 378TS. We are full-timers and are fully loaded out. We tow a 4dr, 4WD Jeep Rubicon, four down. We run the generator while driving for A/C and computer purposes.

I try to stay at around 2,200 RPM and 62-65 MPH.

BOTTOM LINE MPG: 6.9 MPG

I feel the dash computer is as accurate as you can get over this many miles driven. Manual tracking calculations and filling your gas tank the same each time will only make a minuscule difference and is not worth the time.
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #12

Does the 378 hold 75 or 80 gallons of gas?
manvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by manvel View Post
Does the 378 hold 75 or 80 gallons of gas?
According to Ford its 80 gallons, however due to vapor space required and low fill neck position its quite a bit less.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #14

I think the tanks on the 2010 's and older are 75 gallon, and the newer ones are 80. The window sticker on my 2011 on a 2010 chassis says 75 gallons.
ohiobill is offline   Reply With Quote