Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #1

2012 Georgetown center stack

Ok. I'm finally getting started on my new center stack. This is my cardboard template. I'm not sure on the angle on the front yet where it drops down to the front of the dash. It looks a little to square. I may make it rounded, but I would like to leave it flat at the top so I can install some type of tray. I have the face angled 2" to the drivers side. My plan is to install a double din touch screen radio to use as a GPS and a forward facing camera monitor next to the rear view monitor. I'm going to move everything up about 10 inches. I'm also going to build a floor console so I don't have to bend down to pick up a drink. The stack will be covered in matching material as the dash. The face will be stained the same as the old face. This should make it much more driver/passenger friendly.

I'll update or make a new thread depending on when I start building it.

This is the before.

The red circles will be a power outlet and 2 USB outlets. The squares are the switches and hour meter fo the generator.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #2

Impressive!
Mike60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #3

A moot suggestion, probably already in your mind, but switch the monitor and radio around, so the radio is more easily accessible as you drive?
But I agree: impressive!
Lanny7436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:34 PM   #4

Looks good, I've been considering doing something similar, but having trouble with coming up with a design I like. Please post progress photos, I'm very interested in seeing your design!
Outtahere100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #5

looks awesome! keep us posted

2020 Chevy Equinox Silver sled
seasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #6

Thanks
Keep updating your photos
Barry789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #7
Senior Member - Retired

When project finished it would great if you were able to supply dimensional drawings and a parts list. Even better, offering to supply the custom console as a kit. LOL
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #8

Thakis everyone. I will update as I progress. However I’m not doing the cutting, building. My neighbor is a woodworker/custom cabinet maker. So he will be doing most of the cutting assembly. After looking at it I’m probably going to round the top of it so it slopes to the dash. It just looks to squared off to go with the dash.

On the radio/ monitor setup. I haven’t quite decided on that yet. I just wanted the radio easily accessible so my wife can use it also. I use the monitor all the time. So I wanted it’s location a priority over the radio.

Not sure on offering it as a kit or anything LOL. I never really have the time to do things for myself as I’m always doing plenty of other things. But I will post some of the needed dimensions. The biggest one is fitting it to the dash contour. Once that is done the rest is pretty easy!

Old 10-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Thakis everyone. I will update as I progress. However I’m not doing the cutting, building. My neighbor is a woodworker/custom cabinet maker. So he will be doing most of the cutting assembly. After looking at it I’m probably going to round the top of it so it slopes to the dash. It just looks to squared off to go with the dash.

On the radio/ monitor setup. I haven’t quite decided on that yet. I just wanted the radio easily accessible so my wife can use it also. I use the monitor all the time. So I wanted it’s location a priority over the radio.

Not sure on offering it as a kit or anything LOL. I never really have the time to do things for myself as I’m always doing plenty of other things. But I will post some of the needed dimensions. The biggest one is fitting it to the dash contour. Once that is done the rest is pretty easy!
On my 2018 FR3 the radio & rearview are combined. This was my solution for the rearview. I would love to have my dash redone. I look forward to see the final product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I do not like taking my eyes off the road to look at the radio. I installed a new Monitor to the left of the steering wheel so I could see the rear all the time instead of only when I am in reverse. I have used it since June 2018 and love it. Only problem is I need a pole to wash the camera when it's dirty. It gets fuzzy when it rains.

From an older (June 2018) Thread: Rear camera monitor

Amazon: Padarsey 7 Inch LED Backlight TFT LCD Monitor for Car Rearview Cameras:
Price: $27.99

I installed a 7' monitor to turn on whenever the engine on. I used the RCA video cable going to the radio. It the shows rear view all the time except when the turn signal is on, then it show the turn view. I have used it for a year and love it.

The photo was taken while on an empty road. It is only powered when the engine is on.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #10

Thanks for the link. But I want to try and keep stuff off the dash. However with the height of the new center stack I may be able to incorporate it in. But I believe my existing monitor is a 7” display.

I will check it out.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:19 PM   #11

dog house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Thanks for the link. But I want to try and keep stuff off the dash. However with the height of the new center stack I may be able to incorporate it in. But I believe my existing monitor is a 7” display.

I will check it out.
I was wondering how you will remove the engine cover?
Don
Old 10-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donlock View Post
I was wondering how you will remove the engine cover?
Don
Well....with the way it is now I still need to remove the cup holders on the floor and then remove the center stack. I can't just remove it because it sits to low to slide it out. So the process to remove it isn't much different.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:22 AM   #13

More progress with pictures!

Ok. So I have been working on this off and on. Finally got the console cut and assembled last weekend. I was able to fit it up to the MH on Saturday, fit like a glove, i was impressed that my template was that accurate! LOL I had the face cut out to fit today with backers for support, stability and a place to mount the oak front panel to. Tonite I was able to lay out where I think I want everything.
The open spot on the left below the monitor I’m leaving open. I’m hoping to get a TPMS system and I will probably mount the monitor there, as well as a USB port for the radio. The little round circle at the middle right will be the existing power outlet. Then from there the generator hour meter, and all my switches, I’m adding 2 more for future use. The large circle at the left side will be my new USB charging outlet with built in voltage display. The open area at the bottom will not be used. I am going to make a console with built in cup holders and hopefully if I have the room a small drawer under that. That will be after I get the console installed back in the motor home.
Here are some pics.
In th first pic you can see how much higher and closer the monitor and radio will be.

I don’t have all the supports installed for the front panel/face yet. The face will be installed with small machine screws with T-nuts in the wood supports. This way I don’t have to worry about stripping out the wood where the screws would go in. The console is a little tall but it doesn’t block my view out of the windshield. It’s no higher than the speedo cluster. From the outside it stands out. But I have a plan for the front of it that you can see from the outside. I’m wrapping the console in matching vinyl if I can find the color. If not I’m going with a dark brown which will be a nice contrast and match the interior. The oak face I’m going to stain to try and match the plastic wood look of the original console. I’m done for now till after Christmas.
I’ll update again if I do anything else.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:08 PM   #14

Ok small update. I have most of my cutouts done. Still have the radio left and I need that formte cuto out dimension. Hopefully the wife will be giving me that for Christmas! Along with a few other small things.

I still have 2 outlets to cutout for either sod of the switches. One is a double USB with voltage reading, and the other is a standard 12V. The opening below the monitor is for the TPMS when I get it.

I still need to frame out the openings from behind so I can mount the 2 monitors and AC controls. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get those pieces cut.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:01 PM   #15

Project looks great keep us all posted. I think we all want to do this.

Happy Holidays

2020 Chevy Equinox Silver sled
seasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:15 PM   #16

Ok made some progress. Got the oak face cutout, still waiting on the radio (hopefully for Christmas) then i can make that cutout. I got all the spacers for the back side to mount everything. Still trying to find the material to wrap the console, probably go with a dark brown.

The monitor is temporarily mounted. I'm thinking of just using some 1/4" oak to mount it. It's a little floppy right now. Or I may use another piece of channel at the bottom to hold it solid. The small cubby is for the TST TPMS color monitor. I still need to cutout and install 2 power outlets, 1 on each side of the switches.

I'll update again after I get the radio mounted up.

Old 12-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #17

Ok. Small update. My wife got me my radio and surprised me with the TST tire pressure monitor. Everything fits great.

I’ll update again soon.
Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #18
H3N

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. Please have a happy Christmas!

H3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:19 PM   #19

Another update!

Well I am just about done. Only thing left is to cut and stain some oak trim to cover the staples. Turned out pretty good. The Stan is abit dark, but it should be close to the dash wood look trim.

I'm not sure on the stainless screws! I'll leave them for now, but if I don't like them I'll get some black oxide screws so they don't stand out.

Now I need to get the MH home and install it. Then I can work on my lower console with the cupholders.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:22 PM   #20

Update 3/8/20

Ok finally got the MH home and got the new console installed and wired up! Fits great and works just like I wanted. The radio is a bit out of reach but my wife will be the one controlling it on the road. The apple CarPlay using the maps for GPS works better than I expected.

No more reaching down to the floor to control the heat/AC. The monitor is in a better position for viewing as well as my tire pressure monitor. The next little project is the cup holders.

I wasn’t sure on the dark wood finish so I covered it with a vinyl carbon fiber look wrap. But it didn’t look right. So I removed it. This was before I installed it. So now to just order some black screws and washers instead of the stainless. And best of all......the dash is tight and no longer vibrates or rattles!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C3C79C7B-9F5D-4072-B1F0-47A3FF4D3E6A.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	224775   Click image for larger version

Name:	1294AB9B-DAC0-431C-8214-65159DC17133.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	224776   Click image for larger version

Name:	BA7678E9-C0DA-4390-A782-5F352C8E986C.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	224777   Click image for larger version

Name:	A935E1E3-8AD9-472E-81EF-8ECF77773112.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	224778  

Tags
2012, georgetown