Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

2013 Georgetown 329 A/V questions/ideas

My current situation.

TV in the main cabin. Head unit in the dash of the RV. there are 4 ceiling speakers and one small subwoofer up by the feet where the passenger sits. To watch a DVD you have to play it through the head unit. Also when you just want to listen to the radio while driving it plays throughout the 4 ceilings speakers.

1. Has anybody changed this set up in their rig?
2. The stock ceiling speakers are horrible?
3. The subwoofer I don't think even works?
4. I hate the fact that I can't listen to the radio while driving up front and someone else can just watch a movie.

I am thinking of doing at least a speaker change all the way to a whole new system.

Any thoughts, ideas, things you have done and are happy with.

On a side note and completely separate we hooked up a DVD player to the back tv. Didn't work so I ended up taking the tv off the wall, not easy, to find they had the red/white RCA jacks in the wrong spot. Very frustrating.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Retired US Army CW4

I ran an HDMI cable from the main TV down to the AV component space under the counter for a Directv box. Not much fun, but I got it in there. If you remove the bottom screws on the TV mount and loosen the top scrrews a couple of turns you can swing the TV out far enough to get behind it without removing the whole thing from the wall. I picked up an HDMI switch box from Fry's and put a BluRay player down there too (since the dash unit doesn't do BluRay). That way I can play movies on the TV without using the head unit in the dash at all and it's in HD. I've been looking at the front speakers also. It would be pretty easy to install additional speakers in the front and put in an A/B speaker switch (also available at Fry's or Radio Shack).
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Kat View Post
I ran an HDMI cable from the main TV down to the AV component space under the counter for a Directv box. Not much fun, but I got it in there. If you remove the bottom screws on the TV mount and loosen the top scrrews a couple of turns you can swing the TV out far enough to get behind it without removing the whole thing from the wall. I picked up an HDMI switch box from Fry's and put a BluRay player down there too (since the dash unit doesn't do BluRay). That way I can play movies on the TV without using the head unit in the dash at all and it's in HD. I've been looking at the front speakers also. It would be pretty easy to install additional speakers in the front and put in an A/B speaker switch (also available at Fry's or Radio Shack).
So when you play a Bluray now where is the sound? Just the TV? I assume you can't get sound through the speakers if you are by passing the head unit.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Retired US Army CW4

I can still get sound through the overhead speakers when I'm using the BluRay player. I don't know if you have the same head unit I do but if you switch to "Aux 2" whatever is playing on the tv will play through the overhead speakers (DVD, Directv or regular TV). You can test this by turning your TV on, turn the sound down, turn on the head unit and cycle though the Aux inputs. One of them should play whatever is on the TV.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #5

Ok. I will have to check this out. Are your speakers the little 3 in white ones? Mine are horrible.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Retired US Army CW4

Yep, same Chinese fire sale speakers. I'm looking for replacements that won't break the bank. It's probably going to include an external amp and a new subwoofer too.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #7

I've just been working on this myself. I'm going to wire an A-B selector switch between two new speakers in the cab and the REAR speakers. I figure going down the road, I can use the front 4 speakers, I wouldn't normally want the rear speakers on driving down the road anyway. The best I have found for a dash mount selector is Niles Audio Corporation
but I'm still looking to find something smaller to mount in the dash (and black)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networx View Post
I've just been working on this myself. I'm going to wire an A-B selector switch between two new speakers in the cab and the REAR speakers. I figure going down the road, I can use the front 4 speakers, I wouldn't normally want the rear speakers on driving down the road anyway. The best I have found for a dash mount selector is Niles Audio Corporation
but I'm still looking to find something smaller to mount in the dash (and black)
I really want to add 2 car speakers up front and be able to listen to the car stereo while driving and then the kids can watch a movie in the back with the normal ceiling speakers. Just not sure that can happen as the system uses the head unit up front for the DVD.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #9

I gotcha. I think you have to add an amp for that, but I'm not an audio expert or anything. Our main TV is covered up by the slideout so you can't watch it on the road anyway. I'm trying to decide if I want to add a DVD player in the bedroom or just replace the TV with one that has a built-in DVD.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networx View Post
I gotcha. I think you have to add an amp for that, but I'm not an audio expert or anything. Our main TV is covered up by the slideout so you can't watch it on the road anyway. I'm trying to decide if I want to add a DVD player in the bedroom or just replace the TV with one that has a built-in DVD.
We added a DVD player to the back bedroom. Damn thing didn't work so I found out AFTER unscrewing the TV that they installed the wires backwards into the back of the TV. Now that works great. I did add a TV outside in the compartment and that one was a TV/DVD combo from Best buy. Now if I can just figure out the main cabin and up front I will be good to go.

The speakers are horrible and I just dont like the DVD being up in the dash. I would prefer a DVD in the compartment below the counter. Then if I do that though then I am not sure about the speaker wires so know I am running new wires and I am not handy enough for that.

At the end of the day I think I am go to have to just replace the crappy speakers. Then I bought a portable (like a Bose) speak box to have up front when I am driving.

Anyone else replace the stock ceiling speakers yet?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #11

I gave up after the THIRD RCA piece of crap DVD/AM/FM Surround sound died. Never liked the junk in ceiling speakers and the worthless RCA subwoofer. Now that I've got that off my chest...Installed a Samsung sound bar below the TV with a wireless subwoofer that I put behind the couch. Cost us about $260 on sale at BestBuy. Also bought a BluRay DVD player and installed in the cabinet, along with the Directv receiver, below the TV. So much better. Can actually hear the TV when the livingroom a/c is on high.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
I gave up after the THIRD RCA piece of crap DVD/AM/FM Surround sound died. Never liked the junk in ceiling speakers and the worthless RCA subwoofer. Now that I've got that off my chest...Installed a Samsung sound bar below the TV with a wireless subwoofer that I put behind the couch. Cost us about $260 on sale at BestBuy. Also bought a BluRay DVD player and installed in the cabinet, along with the Directv receiver, below the TV. So much better. Can actually hear the TV when the livingroom a/c is on high.
OK. I like this. Keep going. With the sound bar did you need some sort of power amp or receiver? Or is the sound bar powered? From the DVD player up to the TV did you run HDMI cable and how easy was that? This wireless sub you mention, who does that work?

This may be another option I was not even thinking about.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #13

I installed a Vizio powered Soundbar/wireless Subwoofer, bought re-furbed at BestBuy.com for $89.00. Works beautifully, and fits perfectly under the 32" Vizio over the dash.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
I installed a Vizio powered Soundbar/wireless Subwoofer, bought re-furbed at BestBuy.com for $89.00. Works beautifully, and fits perfectly under the 32" Vizio over the dash.

Hey, Freds342, you replaced the old TV over the dash in you 2005 GT with a Vizio? Did you do the work? Do you have pics?

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
Hey, Freds342, you replaced the old TV over the dash in you 2005 GT with a Vizio? Did you do the work? Do you have pics?

Bill
Piece of cake. The hardest part was removing the 80-lb. tube model that was in there!

Once I got it out, I framed in 2x4's just deep enough to allow a 3/4" piece of birch-faced plywood. Mounted the plywood using a piano hinge and slide latch, so I could access the cabling behind, and drilled holes for the power, HDMI, and audio cables. I used a solid mount for the TV. It has a limited amount of motion (about 15-degrees on both axes) for strength.

I originally centered the TV on the plywood, but had to move it up an inch or so when I added the sound bar. Still looks great.

I did the same with the rear TV, going from the 19" tube to a 23" Vizio, and got an extra linen closet to boot!

I ain't got no stinkin' pictures, but could take some if the description isn't sufficient.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
Old 05-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
OK. I like this. Keep going. With the sound bar did you need some sort of power amp or receiver? Or is the sound bar powered? From the DVD player up to the TV did you run HDMI cable and how easy was that? This wireless sub you mention, who does that work?

This may be another option I was not even thinking about.
Totally self contained. The subwoofer is blutooth linked to the soundbar and the soundbar does all the setup. The Bluray player is hooked to the TV via a HDMI cable run thru the back of the cabinet. I use nothing in the overhead compartment that came with the MH except the switch for the ant/cable settings and the sat dish control is located up there.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #17

I went on to Best Buy. I think I am going to trash the whole system. I like the sound bar and wireless woofer idea. I am thinking I could do the sound bar and mount it under the TV that is hanging with some sort of bracket. Then put the sub where the current sub is up front as that doesn't really matter. Then at the same time add a Blu Ray/DVD player in the glass compartment under the counter. Only issue may be running a HDMI cable from the cabinet up to the TV and the mounting of the sound bar.

I then think I am just going to add two car speakers in pre-made boxes up front (driver and passenger footwell) and run them off the head unit so the whole system will be a little more traditional.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
Retired US Army CW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
I went on to Best Buy. I think I am going to trash the whole system. I like the sound bar and wireless woofer idea. I am thinking I could do the sound bar and mount it under the TV that is hanging with some sort of bracket. Then put the sub where the current sub is up front as that doesn't really matter. Then at the same time addition a Blu Ray/DVD player in the glass compartment under the counter. Only issue may be running a HDMI cable from the cabinet up to the TV and the mounting of the sound bar.

I then think I am just going to add two car speakers in pre-made boxes up front (driver and passenger footwell) and run them off the head unit so the whole system will be a little more traditional.
I ran an HDMI cable from the cabinet under the counter up to theTV. There is a PVC pipe that runs up the wall from the AV cabinet under the counter to the area behind the TV. If you remove the bottom screws on the TV mount and loosen the top screws you can swing the TV out far enough to get to the wires behind the TV without removing the TV from the wall. The bottom of the PVC pipe comes out where the cable wires come out of the wall in the back of the AV cabinet. I ran a fish up the PVC pipe and then pulled the HDMI cable through. It's tight but it will fit. Make sure you buy a long enough cable. It's a longer run than it looks. I put in a 6 foot cable and it was just barely long enough.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Kat View Post
I ran an HDMI cable from the cabinet under the counter up to theTV. There is a PVC pipe that runs up the wall from the AV cabinet under the counter to the area behind the TV. If you remove the bottom screws on the TV mount and loosen the top screws you can swing the TV out far enough to get to the wires behind the TV without removing the TV from the wall. The bottom of the PVC pipe comes out where the cable wires come out of the wall in the back of the AV cabinet. I ran a fish up the PVC pipe and then pulled the HDMI cable through. It's tight but it will fit. Make sure you buy a long enough cable. It's a longer run than it looks. I put in a 6 foot cable and it was just barely long enough.
Awesome. Thanks. That sounds doable.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #20

TigerDirect.com has the Viizio Soundbar with Bluetooth Wireless Subwoofer on sale right now for $89.

It's the same one that I have, and it works beautifully