Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #21

Maybe I answered my own question. My Allegro based on the older V10 being I believe 315hp was 44.44lbs. per hp. My GT with the newer V10 being 362hp is about 49.72lbs. per hp. Iggy's rig, at 22K is about 60.77lbs. per hp to haul around. I'm sure gearing and such will factor in also.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #22

A lot of experience on this thread, I have a question for you all, I currently pull. Sanibel 3500 5th wheel, we are looking at the Georgetown 378 and was looking for advantages or not of pulling a big 5th wheel vs driving the motorhome?
Thanks
Sam
Topshelf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #23
Grape Escape

Never thought I'd say this as I thought the 5th wheel was the ultimate rv setup but now that we made the switch to a motorhome I changed my mind.
Plus: easier setup, bath available for passengers while driving, tons of storage especially exterior, fiberglass roof, being able to sightsee with a much more economical vehicle, driving is a whole different experience
Only negative is I cannot double tow ie. boat, jetski
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #24

I think there is a lot written on this comparison else where on this forum. However, in a nut shell...convenience. Going down the road and having the DW prepare a snack and cold soda. Running the genny and having dinner cook in a slow cooker on your way to the campground. Sitting up as high as a semi with the picture window like vista looking out the one piece windshield. Not having a rig three times the size of the tow vehicle push you down hills and drag at you going up. Pulling into a campground at night, back 'ear in and in the matter of pushing a few buttons after connecting the shore power you are set up, cocktail time! I could go on and on as I am sure any class A owner is willing to do also. Good Luck..
Old 12-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshelf3 View Post
A lot of experience on this thread, I have a question for you all, I currently pull. Sanibel 3500 5th wheel, we are looking at the Georgetown 378 and was looking for advantages or not of pulling a big 5th wheel vs driving the motorhome?
Thanks
Sam
Hi Sam
I have been pulling RVs since the 1990's and have has one trailer, three 5th wheel and now a 2012 Georgetown 378TS XL. I nave over 23,000 miles on the motorhome which I purchased new April 2012. It had almost 2,800 miles on it when I purchased it. So I have driven about 20,000 miles myself.

DW wanted to have more convenience while travelling. Bathroom, access to drinks and food, etc. I feel it is easier to drive even though it is 37 foot long and 12.5 ft tall. The big thing is watching your turns as the rear moves out more and many have damage to the lower rear end panels. So far I have not had any accidents. It does have more storage below than a 5th wheel. Like others have said while driving you see more with the one piece panoramic view windshield. You are sitting higher and the view is great. We drove into the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks last year and I must say the view is better than any IMAX movie.

Now to get your moneys worth you must use it and can be considered expensive on initial cost and fuel. You need time and money to keep rolling down the road. My DW and I are in our early 60's and we are totally retired and ready to roll anytime we want.

The body maintenance is just like a 5th wheel but a little better.
The engine and drivetrain by Ford is rock solid.
Oil changes are just like a car with a small filter and 7 qts of oil.
The 5.5 KW generator is easy to maintain which can be started while driving if you need to use the microwave or roof AC units.

Now the 2012 model has a 4 door refrigerator that can be used by 120 volts or 12 volt with propane. While driving I am running off of 12 volt DC and Propane. The house batteries also get charged from the engine while driving.
The newer refrigerators only use 120 volts and while driving it had a dedicated 1000 watt convertor which runs off of your house batteries. This limits your use and dry camping and boon docking has been a problem with this residential refrigerator. I'm glad I have the one that uses propane and 12 volt as well as 120 volt shore/generator power.

Now I hope you know that a 378TS comes in a economy model and a XL model. The XL model has many more things that make it worthwhile.
The list is numerous but worth a few extra dollars.
Larger tire 22.5" and aluminum rims, more storage space/height underneath, 4" more head room inside, side and backup cameras, heated and adjustable side mirrors, better side compartment doors and latches, usually a painted exterior and graphics with clear coat. I'm sure more but that should give you the idea.

The biggest in the past of all Georgetown's have been the hydraulic leveling and slide system. In the past they installed bad hoses and many of us have had most replaced in the first year. For me I think I have those issues resolved but always keep a close eye on it for any leaks.

The fiberglass sheet roof has had issues but in mine still solid and no cracks or other issues.

The walls and roof seems to be thicker on my XL but I can be wrong. I do know the roof is 4 1/4" thick which I found out installing a different HD local TV antenna.

I think that is enough for now and sure others will add or subtract from my statements above.

Many folks have no or very little problems in the first year. If you do buy the 378 you must make sure everything work perfectly before you take it home.
If you have any problems even so small have the dealer take care of it then and take it home later because after you get it become a hassle to get it to the dealer many time.

Hope this long message will help you.
Good luck
John
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Damn...I was just going to post that, but you beat me to it!

Dave
Yes, kinda like the man who ask the mileage on the older 454 Corvettes and got the reply, "If you have to ask, you can't afford the Vette."
Old 12-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #27

Had an 09 38' 5th wheel and 09 GMC Dually and I have no regrets upgrading to the Georgetown 378XL. Like Iggy stated there are too many plus's to mention. Floor plan layout is what we liked and we have had a couple minor issues which have all been resolved. Goodluck in your decision.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Yes, kinda like the man who ask the mileage on the older 454 Corvettes and got the reply, "If you have to ask, you can't afford the Vette."
When my Mom and Dad bought a Mercedes (wow, 20 years ago), my dad and the sales man were horrified when she DID ask about fuel mileage!
Old 12-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #29

I used to tow a big Montana5ver with an F350. Traveled all over the US, most of the big national parks. Totally enjoyed it. Now we enjoy our MH even more. But to me the real differences that matter the most is a 5ver doesn't have an expensive drive train that just sits idle for many months of the year. And if you need/want a nice big pick up for when you aren't traveling, then the 5ver combo wins. But for all other reasons, many already explained above, the MH wins hands down.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #30

X2. I started with a Prowler TT, then a 5th wheel, Class C, 27' Southwind, 31' Southwind, 34' Pace Arrow, 34' Pace Arrow Vision, 37' Montana 5th wheel, 36' Itasca, and now a Georgetown 378TS. You notice I didn't learn my lesson when I first went from a MH to a 5th wheel. I took a bath and went back to the MH. BTW, I started this adventure in 1972, and left out a tent trailer and a slide in camper. Been in all 48 contiguous states and still going. Leaving Monday for the National Finals Rodeo in Las Vegas.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #31

Wow, you certainly had a fair share of RV life style. Why did you pick the Georgetown 378?
Happy trails back to you sir
Old 12-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #32

Topshelf3, I was intrigued by the layout and the overall appearance. The amount of room in the living area is amazing. I loved the fireplace, the fact you can see the tv from every location except the co-pilot's seat, and the huge refrigerator.

I changed out the junk couch and euro chair for a full sized Lazy Boy couch with double recliners and fold down table (the best money I every spent).

I looked at many motorhomes, but that is the first one (in my budget range) that said "here I am". I have had lots of things go wrong with it, that were all fixed under warranty by my great dealer, Mike Thompson RV in Colton, CA, but in all fairness when I look back at all of the RV's I have owned most of them had the same kind of problems. Most of them were things that were furnished by other companies, such as the levelers and hydraulic system etc.

For the money, the Georgetown is great. I can't tell you how many people say "that is a beautiful rig, it must be brand new". It is almost three years old, and the paint job is fantastic. I keep it clean and waxed twice a year, and stored in my barn when it is not on the road. It just turned over 25,000 miles, and just finished a six thousand mile trip.

The Ford V-10 and drive train are awesome, albeit a little loud under heavy throttle.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #33

The reason I asked is my wife and have been toying with the idea of the 378XL. We currently have a 2012 Sanibel 3500 pulled by my 2006 dodge 3500 mega cab w/ single rear wheels. I do like our setup, however my wife is no longer comfortable with me pulling the 5th wheel, she is in panic mode most of time going down the highway.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #34
Grape Escape

Quote:
The reason I asked is my wife and have been toying with the idea of the 378XL. We currently have a 2012 Sanibel 3500 pulled by my 2006 dodge 3500 mega cab w/ single rear wheels. I do like our setup, however my wife is no longer comfortable with me pulling the 5th wheel, she is in panic mode most of time going down the highway.
You better take an A class out for a test drive before committing if your wife goes into panic mode with the 5th wheel as I never felt that way pulling our 5th wheel. The motorhome is a whole different story as it feels like you are piloting a jumbo jet down the road compared to just driving a heavy duty pickup. I always had to remind myself we even had anything behind me with the 5th wheel as I would forget it was even there.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
You better take an A class out for a test drive before committing if your wife goes into panic mode with the 5th wheel as I never felt that way pulling our 5th wheel. The motorhome is a whole different story as it feels like you are piloting a jumbo jet down the road compared to just driving a heavy duty pickup. I always had to remind myself we even had anything behind me with the 5th wheel as I would forget it was even there.
X2

I never pulled a TT but the class A takes some getting used to. That said, it is comfortable to drive but you need to have situational awareness, just like a pilot.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #36

Thanks all, trying to get wife to test drive a class A, she thinks she would be able to and I am sure she could. I've driven passenger buses, semi and large box trucks, so I'm ok with it. You are correct when you say you have to remind yourself that the 5r is behind, I get the same sensation.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #37

Topshelf3, if your wife is a good auto driver, AND she enjoys driving, she'll have absolutely no problem driving an average size MH 34-38ft. She'll learn quickly especially having someone as trained as you guiding her. Soon she'll be heading off on girls weekends waving adios to you out the drivers window!
Old 12-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #38

Thanks, she is an excellent driver, if I can just get to test drive I think she would be fine.
Thanks again
Sam
Old 12-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #39

Quote:
That is a big beast but you are pulling it with a bigger beast

Just curious - why is DW panicing on the road - I would think your ride in your 3500 would be baby butt smooth
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #40

It started on our way back from out west 2 years pulling a 30' TT, we were traveling east on 10 in luisianna, it was raining so we were going about 50 mph, came over a grade and all traffic was stopped!! All lanes!! I tapped the brakes, trailer started to lock up, so immediately headed for the shoulder on right. I managed to feather the brakes enough to prevent lock up and thank God the shoulder was hardpack and I managed to avoid the semi's and cars and rode it out down the shoulder. I changed my shorts, but my wife hasn't been the same.
Hope I didn't boar you,

Tags
2013, georgetown, mpg