Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttincali View Post
Pretty sure the Santa Ana's we get regularly out here (in fact as I speak at 70mph gusts) are much worse than anything you experience in the midwest! - I lived in the Detroit area for 30 years and never experienced winds like we have out here - but for sure don't miss the cold, snow & salt!).

I did a little research on the 2014 F53 frame (which I have) and ours comes equip'd with a front track bar, wondering if this is why mine seems to handle well stock? Did the pre 2014's have this front track bar?
I also have a 2014 351ds, thats what the title of the gt shows, but the title of the Ford chasis shows it as a 2013. Where did you find out about a track bar on the ford frame? The frame title calls it a F5DR.
GABoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #62

Nevermind, found the specs for the 2013 frame online and it does show the track bar standard for the front.
GABoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT4six View Post
I sure will, once I get. I'm just a bit leery of the fact that they first sent me the right model with wrong brackets, which leads me to believe they are not keeping up with models. Ours is 2013 which could be a 11 or 12.

how big of a ride difference was after installing it?
Now that you say this, I wonder if I received the correct brackets but not the bar. I can't remember exactly how much I had to cut off, but I think it was about an inch. I contacted them with the issue and they never got back to me so I took care of it myself. Something else that crossed my mind was that maybe the rear axle was installed a little off center and why the bar wouldn't fit. I couldn't verify it, and not sure if it's possible for it not to be centered.

You know how the rear end is constantly swinging and has the feeling that you are in a boat. Well, by securing the axle to the frame yet allowing it to move up and down, you get rid of most of it. The biggest improvement we noticed for our coach was the CHF and the correct tire pressure. I would say the correct tire pressure or CHF is no.1, then the Tiger Trak is no.2 Not sure about a steering dampener since we don't have one. I did order front Konis and we will see what they do for the ride.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttincali View Post
Pretty sure the Santa Ana's we get regularly out here (in fact as I speak at 70mph gusts) are much worse than anything you experience in the midwest! - I lived in the Detroit area for 30 years and never experienced winds like we have out here - but for sure don't miss the cold, snow & salt!).

I did a little research on the 2014 F53 frame (which I have) and ours comes equip'd with a front track bar, wondering if this is why mine seems to handle well stock? Did the pre 2014's have this front track bar?
Wow, that is very windy. So, with winds like that, let's say 30 mph winds, your coach doesn't get pushed? We also have a 2014....well, the coach is 2014, but I'm willing to be the frame is either 12 or 13. Ours also has the front trak bar, and without any mods it would get pushed by winds, truckers passing, and bad roads. It has improved little by little with the correct tire pressure, CHF, and rear Trak bar. Not sure what the difference is between your coach, ours, and a lot of other folk, besides wheel alignment. Ours is a 351DS.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #65

I still need a hand doing the CHF. In ft lauderdale now headed home to md on Friday.
k3wtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3wtf View Post
I still need a hand doing the CHF. In ft lauderdale now headed home to md on Friday.
I'd gladly give you a hand with it if I was closer. It's so easy to do that I did ours on a campground. I initially did it at home and traveled to FL only to find out our wheels where off the ground a couple of inches. It was a spot with a bad slope and we were there for a week. I disconnected the links to let the tires drop and then reconnected them before we left. I always carry some common tools and that's all that's needed. You don't even need to apply Loctite since the nuts are self locking.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #67

I got off passenger side but could not get bolt out on drivers side. Even with a bottle jack could not move bar to get close to going in back holes.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #68

Quote:
I got off passenger side but could not get bolt out on drivers side. Even with a bottle jack could not move bar to get close to going in back holes.
I could move ours about a 16th of an inch with my hands and it took very little effort with a bottle jack. I think it's time to take it to a mech to get it done.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #69

Quote:
Take both bolts out before trying to raise the bar, start with the driver’s side.

Spray some WD40 on the bolt.

If you use a jack don’t lift the bar MUCH, ½ inch or so.

Here’s a picture with a guaranteed way to get the bolt out don’t damage the threads.

Luck
ab&jb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0270a.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	51318  
Old 05-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #70
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
Now that you say this, I wonder if I received the correct brackets but not the bar. I can't remember exactly how much I had to cut off, but I think it was about an inch. I contacted them with the issue and they never got back to me so I took care of it myself. Something else that crossed my mind was that maybe the rear axle was installed a little off center and why the bar wouldn't fit. I couldn't verify it, and not sure if it's possible for it not to be centered.

You know how the rear end is constantly swinging and has the feeling that you are in a boat. Well, by securing the axle to the frame yet allowing it to move up and down, you get rid of most of it. The biggest improvement we noticed for our coach was the CHF and the correct tire pressure. I would say the correct tire pressure or CHF is no.1, then the Tiger Trak is no.2 Not sure about a steering dampener since we don't have one. I did order front Konis and we will see what they do for the ride.
I guess I'll find out when I get the whole package replacement. I will let you know since I will be able to compare one set with the other...and furthermore, I should be able to make a god comparison of what you mention which sounds very logical....tire pressure, CHF, tiger Trak...next up the steering.
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #71

News flash. 2200 miles of white knuckles may soon be over. I was changing the oil after our 1st big trip and looked down at sway bar. The bolts are below the leaf springs. I guess I had coach jacked up too high when I tried before and could not get the bolts out. We will try again thurs after work. Sat appt for front end alignment. McCarthy tire in Manassas Is going to do it. So maybe we can tame the beast!!!!!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #72

I am finally getting mine back from some warranty fixes so I will also try the chf.
I have read some people say that forest river will pay for a front end alignment. Is this true? Anyone know or been through that process?
Old 05-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #73

FR will pay for it in the 1st 90 days.

5742067600 I spike to Kevin Stratton.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #74

129.95 for alignment Everything was in line except toe. Did the front CHF and much better drive now. Even got the bolts in correctly. Will try to do rears this week. Question is now what? I had safety plus and rear track bar on class c we had. Those made a real difference.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #75

Forest river will cover alignment in the first 90 days.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #76

i finally got my wife to drive the RV this weekend. it was just a short trip up the highway and back to exercise the coach to make sure all is well before we start taking trips at the end of the month.

right away she noticed that the steering wheel is not centered when going straight. it isnt way off but it is off. i dont have any issue right now with the way it drives but now im debating the whole front alignment thing...nuts.

Oh and now she loves driving the RV...
fullenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #77

Quote:
129.95 for alignment Everything was in line except toe. Did the front CHF and much better drive now. Even got the bolts in correctly. Will try to do rears this week. Question is now what? I had safety plus and rear track bar on class c we had. Those made a real difference.
The blueox rear trak bar made the most difference for me. Night and day.
fullenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #78

The steering wheel has to come off to center. Air bag and all that I said no. I was just happy to get the alignment done.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #79

I spoke with Kevin and he confirmed that they will pay for alignment in first 90 days. He said if go through your dealer, dealer will file under warranty. Or go local and send him receipt for a check to pay you back. Doing 2nd option as our dealer is 850 miles away! So taking her in.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #80

Great. My toe was in others in spec. Did front CHF and wow.

Tags