Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #1

2014 328TS furnace noise

First trip in colder weather and furnace used for first time. First night no problems. However, last night when the furnace is running in the bedroom/back of the rig, it started to get really noisy. Not blower noise, it sounds slightly high pitch humming. Checked the vents, no obstructions, good flow with hot air. Can't really tell where the noise was coming from.

I'm not sure where to start looking. Where is motor? Didn't go outside but will this morning. Will check outside and listen for noise. Any help? Front furnace doesn't seem to be making the noise.
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #2

You can kinda hear the hum/noise outside. Checked the vents outside, no obstructions and all clear in there.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #3

My guess would be the gas valve for the furnace. It is a solenoid action type valve. One way to check if it is the gas valve is to monitor if the noise is still there after the burner shuts off but the blower is still running for the cool-down. If the noise still occurs with the blower running it could be a issue with the blower motor itself.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #4

I'm not sure how to check this. Haven't opened the grate to the furnace yet. Everything looks perfectly new and no damage. Usually when the furnace shuts off everything goes off.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #5

While the furnace is running and putting out good heat turn the switch on the thermostat to off the flame will be shut off but the fan will continue to run to cool the furnace down before it will shut down completely down.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #6

So, the "everything goes off" could mean it still might be the blower. The gas solenoid valve is within the furnace unit. They generally don't make noise but if the coil came loose it could make a humming noise. I forgot to mention a fan relay which also has a magnetic coil. At this level it has to be checked by a RV service technician. Not much user serviceable stuff for the furnace.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #7

I'm not sure where to access the furnace. Is it outside? Turned on the furnace again in the back of the rig and definitely a squeal/hum noise and it is rather loud (in my opinion). Have the front furnace on now and all you hear is the blower noise which is what you expect. Guess I'll be taking the MH home in once we get home and have it checked out. Would like to try and fix the problem now, but not sure if it's something that can be done DIY?
Old 11-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
So, the "everything goes off" could mean it still might be the blower. The gas solenoid valve is within the furnace unit. They generally don't make noise but if the coil came loose it could make a humming noise. I forgot to mention a fan relay which also has a magnetic coil. At this level it has to be checked by a RV service technician. Not much user serviceable stuff for the furnace.
Thanks, I was thinking that I may need to leave it to the professionals at this point. We brought a electric heater with us, but it's broken! LOL! We'll just use the furnace in the front of the rig tonight.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #9

Unless it's brutally cold outside you should be able to keep the coach comfortable with one furnace.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #10

Just an update: MH has been at the RV service center for over 2 weeks. They are telling me there is nothing wrong with furnace and the "noise" that I hear it completely normal. I am telling them there is a distinct difference with noise coming from front furnace and rear furnace. Front furnace is loud but has a air blowing noise. Rear furnace has air blowing AND a high pitch whine. The service guys are saying that is normal.

Has anyone else heard a difference in their MHs? Can't figure out what to do. Going to pick up tomorrow and well, I guess we'll have to put up with the loud whining noise in the rear where we sleep at night during winter/cold use. More concerned it is actually a problem they are not addressing.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnlife1973 View Post
Just an update: MH has been at the RV service center for over 2 weeks. They are telling me there is nothing wrong with furnace and the "noise" that I hear it completely normal. I am telling them there is a distinct difference with noise coming from front furnace and rear furnace. Front furnace is loud but has a air blowing noise. Rear furnace has air blowing AND a high pitch whine. The service guys are saying that is normal.

Has anyone else heard a difference in their MHs? Can't figure out what to do. Going to pick up tomorrow and well, I guess we'll have to put up with the loud whining noise in the rear where we sleep at night during winter/cold use. More concerned it is actually a problem they are not addressing.
howdy: when we got our 2012 378ts the front furnace made a humming, rattle noise, they pulled it out and fired it up on bench in shop and it was ugly, blower motor was loose, half the screws were stripped holding things in place. Back in and they both sound the same now, you will get blower noise that's normal, not rattles and squeals. Hope this helps a little. Oh by the way they take furnace out from inside. Pete
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #12

It's definitely a squeal noise. I think they don't care to truly investigate because the rig is brand new. We're doing a furnace walkthrough tomorrow....should be interesting.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:55 AM   #13

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnlife1973 View Post
It's definitely a squeal noise. I think they don't care to truly investigate because the rig is brand new. We're doing a furnace walkthrough tomorrow....should be interesting.
howdy: when you do your furnace check with dealer do not let them b...s you if it doesn't sound the same as other heater make them fix it, or take to another place. Its shame people just don't care. You will have a lot of little fixes so don't get discourage about this stuff. I worked for the Boeing company for 35 years and they want first rate products every time, but the rv industry seems to lack this. Its what they pay people I think. Stand behind your guns, good luck. Pete
Old 01-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #14

I was in the Air Force before working for Lockheed Martin for 13 years and also have a hard time understanding how some of these coaches are sold. Ours was missing an entire inverter and most of the coax cables were mixed up...so far. Not sure if it's how people are paid as much as how much they actually care. Some people are just flat out lazy and think the world owes them something. Most companies nowadays seem to have the philosophy of sell it and we'll fix it later. I believe it's cheaper that way instead of having to hire a properly outfitted operation.

petey - did you ever make it to the Mesa Apache facility in Arizona? I worked with the TADS/MTADS program and had to visit that facility a few times...pretty cool!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
I was in the Air Force before working for Lockheed Martin for 13 years and also have a hard time understanding how some of these coaches are sold. Ours was missing an entire inverter and most of the coax cables were mixed up...so far. Not sure if it's how people are paid as much as how much they actually care. Some people are just flat out lazy and think the world owes them something. Most companies nowadays seem to have the philosophy of sell it and we'll fix it later. I believe it's cheaper that way instead of having to hire a properly outfitted operation.

petey - did you ever make it to the Mesa Apache facility in Arizona? I worked with the TADS/MTADS program and had to visit that facility a few times...pretty cool!
howdy: I never made it to Arizona<but was in Seattle a few times watching them install our landing gear beams in 737,757,747 airplanes.at our Boeing plant in Oregon we made landing gear beams, motor mounts, flight controls was on the landing gear team there. Back to people doing anything for me is a hard thing for me, because of the work they do,i always fix my own stuff unless I don't have tools to do so. thanks Pete