Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #1

2014 351 ds

Just picked up our 2014 Georgetown 351 DS. Have to say we are very glad we have a warranty s both residential frig AND microwave were found failed right off the lot. Anyways we should have those items taken care of soon (hopefully). Had anyone found the JVC DVD head unit to have poor playback quality? We tried it today and found black and white video to the tv (snowy pic too). We checked connections and all appeared correct. Also- any idea how to turn on the LED over drivers side? We get the passenger side to turn on via map light but no idea on drivers side. Our appointment with dealer is soon....lots of deep breaths for our first week of class A ownership!
FL family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #2

I have a 2014 360. Our map lite control for the passenger side is on the console. The driver's side is in the brightness wheel. Maybe the two units are similar in this aspect.
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #3

We have the exact same coach. I couldn't figure out how to turn that light on either and found it by mistake. Like Sbryant said, it comes on the "old school" way by turning the dimmer all the way to the brightest setting past the detent.

What went wrong with the refrigerator and microwave? It's odd that both went bad...had to be something major.

The audio/video system in our coach is junk. I will eventually upgrade the whole thing with better speakers, head unit, etc. I couldn't stand the extremely low sound quality of the bass so I upgraded that first. See my thread below for more info. On your video, it sounds like the video cable (RCA) that goes from the head unit to your TV is damaged or something. First, see if you can play with the settings to see if something is not right. If you want to verify the cable. Get a regular RCA cable (yellow, red/white) and hook it up behind the head unit to any TV....or have the dealer fix that also.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ems-52464.html

Also, if you want better ride quality do the cheap handling fix and the rear trak bar. It's the best upgrade you can do to your coach.

I would also find out if all of your video options work (i.e. cable, antenna, aux). Ours were installed incorrectly and had all sorts of video issues which cause DW to be very upset...and when DW gets upset...well, let's not go there.

Yet another thing to check is to make sure your refrigerator works on batteries. On ours the inverter was never installed and had to contact FR directly to have them sent us one. Your refer will obviously work on shore or gen power, but while one the road you can depress the inverter power button (by the steps next to the batt disconnect, awning switch) and it will run on batteries. Another nice thing about that inverter is that it has two 110vac outputs. One goes to the refer, but you can use the other one for other 110 needs. I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to run an extension from the inverter to one of the inside outlets and mark it "inverter".

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies! I am going to check the dimmer setup next time I go there (RV is stored since homeowners association does not allow RV in our yard). The gauge cluster dimmer makes perfect sense though for that light.
I have confirmed the inverter works since we drove it 8 hrs with frig attempting to work on just batteries. I even went into the basement location and removed the plastic sheet with the hand hold and inspected inverters setup. I have it plugged in to 110 now and frig will run (interior lights on and warm air blowing from ice maker) just no cooling even after hours like that. We had a appliance guy come take a look Friday since dealer is booked till feb but as he could not get to the back of frig we now have a fitter coming this tues to pull frig for repair tech to have another look. As to the microwave once it is plugged in the turntable just turns so that looks like a control board or something- waiting on dealer to just send us a complete new microwave. I wonder if perhaps the RV was plugged in (before we got it) and had some type of power surge or something. Still makes us sick why both major appliances have failed.
As to the audio/visual - I am having (Dish) satellite installed by dealer in early (feb) so will have the issues looked at then.
Another question is should I request the "kwikee" retractable steps be replaced? I thought I read that there is a voluntary recall with those. Is there a service letter or bulletin out there to reference?

I will keep this thread updated. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #5

as for the steps the Kwikee is the ones everyone wants, the ones from LCI was the ones that had the bolts fail. Your thinking about a surge or something could on the right track, its funny how both of those went out, that's my thinking. You will find that FR stands behind their product and we have been very happy with our 2012 378XL. The biggest thin is finding a dealer who is just as helpful. Good luck and happy travels...
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #6

Yeah, I thought the kwikees were the good ones.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #7

I went and bought the hard wired 50a surge setup today..little late but will be ready for future whatever's!
Old 01-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #8

FL - I picked my 2014 351DS in October - it was built in September (for the Pomona CA RV show) and came with the Kwikee steps - I had read somewhere that they stopped installing the Lippert steps this year after a ton of complaints.

As far as issues on mine:
-the sub has never worked since picking it up, apparently you have to hold the "loud" button for 5 seconds to turn the sub on - just found this out yesterday!
-no issues with the fridge or micro, except that the fridge constantly comes open on right turns. And we cant run the micro while running the generator, going to ask the dealer about that
-On our last outing a week ago, i bottomed out pulling out of a gas station and tore off my 7 pin trailer receptacle - looks like a $15 fix doing it myself and ordering off Ebay/Amazon
-Cant figure out how to make the dinette bed work - the cushions do not fit together at all
-The rear left large cargo door is not aligned and is rubbing pretty bad
-Took me a while to figure how to connect my Direct TV, works now but the rear TV's only are fuzzy and I can't locate the splitter to check the connections
-the back splash behind the stove is coming unglued
-I just posted an issue with the water heater - i have been turning on the switch on the control panel and apparently this only for propane use, we have a gas/electric model and to turn on electric mode you have to turn the switch on the unit on the outside of the coach - makes no sense to me when hooked up to shore power.

Other than that we love ours - tons of room for 2 adults and 3 kids - love the drop down bunk in the front, makes it very easy for us.
ttincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #9

Can anyone tell me the physical location of the inverter?
Old 01-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #10

We lost all sound on our radio. Do we have to hold the up volume button down for 5 seconds as mentioned above?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #11

It's the door on the right, next to the hot water heater on entry door side. Unscrew that white circle and you'll see the inverter below.

http://sdrv.ms/1a1gKze

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #12

Congratulations on your new 351 DS. We got ours the end of September and absolutely love it. Nieces and nephews love the bunks and when its just us we set the dog crates in the bunks.
We must have been lucky on the sub woofer and dvd player as we have had no problems. (antenna doesn't work though) I did install a second dvd player in line with the antenna connection at the switch box so we can watch the same movie on all the TVs at the same time.
Not sure how DW found out about it, but was told Forest River would send a large single cushion for the table when being used for sleeping space. Dealer had to order it as Forest River would only send it to selling dealer. Taking ours back in in two weeks for some window gasket replacement and other warranty work so I guess I'll find out then.
Also did the cheap handling fix. Handling is much better.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttincali View Post
-On our last outing a week ago, i bottomed out pulling out of a gas station and tore off my 7 pin trailer receptacle - looks like a $15 fix doing it myself and ordering off Ebay/Amazon
I did the same thing coming down a steep entrance to a gas station. First thing that came to mind is why would they install it there...lowest point. I'm going to relocated it by welding the bracket somewhere else.

Not sure why your micro wouldn't run on gen. Everything that runs on shore power will run on gen in ours.

I also had to adjust one of the small shut doors in ours. Kept coming open while on the road.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbryant View Post
Can anyone tell me the physical location of the inverter?
See this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...wer-51079.html
Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
(antenna doesn't work though) I did install a second dvd player in line with the antenna connection at the switch box so we can watch the same movie on all the TVs at the same time.
Not sure how DW found out about it, but was told Forest River would send a large single cushion for the table when being used for sleeping space. Dealer had to order it as Forest River would only send it to selling dealer.
Ours was the opposite, the antenna worked but not cable. It was wired (coax) all wrong. I redid it and now everything works. You should be able to hook up the extra DVD through the aux input in your antenna amp outlet.

Let us know how the large cushion for the table/bed goes. I'd like to have one also.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #16

Quote:
We lost all sound on our radio. Do we have to hold the up volume button down for 5 seconds as mentioned above?
Which coach/head unit do you have?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #17

Got Clarion back-up camera, radio, CD, etc combo. Model VX401.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Got Clarion back-up camera, radio, CD, etc combo. Model VX401.
That's a nice head unit. Wish ours came with one like that. Not sure if you have the manual or not, but here it is.

I always trouble shoot things starting with the most obvious. First thing is a visual...most things are fixed via visual. You know, loose wires or connectors or screen messages. That unit has a lot of options and it could be a setting. See if you can find a "reset to factory setting" or similar. When you say "no sound" is it both video and radio?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #19

For some reason it did not attach. I'll try again.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #20

Nope, here is the link:

Clarion U.S.A. | VX401