Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #1

2014 351DS Winterizing Procedures

Maybe FR will send me a check for doing their work. I believe something like this should have been included with our new coach along with other operating procedures.

Hope it helps folks winterize their 351DS.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2014 FOREST RIVER GEORGETOWN 351DS.pdf (1.60 MB, 759 views)
Old 12-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #2

Thumbs up

Great job.
Now I have to find the pump antifreeze suction line!!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #3

Wow, great job! So nice to have detailed instructions with pics specifically for my model MH. Don't usually need it where we are located but you never know. Already have the file saved for future reference just in case.
Thanks again for taking the time to provide that.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #4

Very nice documentation!!! This is something that even I could follow! GREAT job! :-)

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #5

Yes it's amazing! Thanks
zaine2451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #6

Should I turn off my water heater or is it automatic?
Old 12-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #7

Fantastic job, Al. This is indeed something that Forest River should provide - they owe you one. I'll tell them so.

What you have outlined is a very thorough winterizing routine. You've done such a great job, I hate to be critical about any of it, although I'll offer just a couple thoughts from my experience.

If you plan on using antifreeze in the lines, it's not really necessary to blow out the lines w/ air pressure. Pulling the antifreeze through the lines will displace any water that was previously in the lines. Any water remaining in the low-point drain lines will drain out by gravity.

Alternately, if you *don't* plan on using antifreeze in the lines, thoroughly blowing out all water from the lines with air pressure will adequately winterize the unit.

Does it hurt to do both? Absolutely not, and both processes are quite easy, it's just a little extra time. I've done both over the years but usually opt for simply blowing the water out of all lines w/ compressed air. Kudos to Forest River for installing the antifreeze winterization line in the water compartment - a quick twist of the valve and you're on your way toward pulling antifreeze through the lines.

Again, great job putting this together!
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #8

Yep you really helped me out. Thanks. Another question though should I put the anode back in once I drain the tank for winterization? And should I turn off the propane tank? My MH is connected to a residential home at this moment. Thanks again!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaine2451 View Post
Yep you really helped me out. Thanks. Another question though should I put the anode back in once I drain the tank for winterization? And should I turn off the propane tank? My MH is connected to a residential home at this moment. Thanks again!
It's fine to replace the anode after the tank is drained. Unless you plan on using the furnace, it's a good idea to turn off the propane valve.

This reminds me - I always write myself a note, date it, and place it in a prominent place (like on the counter top) after various winterizing procedures, which includes things like:

Propane valve OFF
Antifreeze in all lines
House water filter - not installed, needs replaced
etc.

Then I know exactly where I left off when winterizing in the fall
Old 12-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #10

Thanks! I'm starting out a notebook on how to be a better RVer! But just to make things straight, after draining the tank, place the anode back in right?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaine2451 View Post
Thanks! I'm starting out a notebook on how to be a better RVer! But just to make things straight, after draining the tank, place the anode back in right?

Yep, and I always tighten mine to operational standards when I replace it. Afraid that if I just hand tighten it, I'll forget about it when it's time to de-winterize.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #12

Don't forget to put some Teflon tape on the anode threads before you re-install it. No spring leaks then.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #13

I should have mentioned the Teflon on the plug.

Glad to hear it was useful. In the spring I'm going to service the generator and probably do the same unless the owner's manual covers it.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #14

Ok got it! Ohh I got a lot of reading to do! Thanks!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #15

You know if you get really bored maybe you can re-do one of those cables on the accuslide. Hope I never have to tackle that. Lol

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #16

What is an accuslide?
Old 12-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #17

It's the name for our slides:

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry
Old 12-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
Fantastic job, Al. This is indeed something that Forest River should provide - they owe you one. I'll tell them so.

What you have outlined is a very thorough winterizing routine. You've done such a great job, I hate to be critical about any of it, although I'll offer just a couple thoughts from my experience.

If you plan on using antifreeze in the lines, it's not really necessary to blow out the lines w/ air pressure. Pulling the antifreeze through the lines will displace any water that was previously in the lines. Any water remaining in the low-point drain lines will drain out by gravity.

Alternately, if you *don't* plan on using antifreeze in the lines, thoroughly blowing out all water from the lines with air pressure will adequately winterize the unit.

Does it hurt to do both? Absolutely not, and both processes are quite easy, it's just a little extra time. I've done both over the years but usually opt for simply blowing the water out of all lines w/ compressed air. Kudos to Forest River for installing the antifreeze winterization line in the water compartment - a quick twist of the valve and you're on your way toward pulling antifreeze through the lines.

Again, great job putting this together!
I agree with this input and just blow out my lines. One other thing is I just use a foot operated bicycle tire pump and operate by hand to clear lines of water. Have never had issues.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #19
Retired Ford Tech

I know this is an older post, but don't forget to blow out the black tank flush system or else the one-way valve will freeze.
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpezzano View Post
I know this is an older post, but don't forget to blow out the black tank flush system or else the one-way valve will freeze.
I have to check, but I thought it was included in the procedures.

Tags
winter, winterize