Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

2014 Georgetown 270S Rooftop

Can you help me identify what is on my rooftop? I was originally trying to find a TV antenna and thought it was the small dome shaped item on the thin rod. According to owner's manual, antenna is an option and I don't see anything that looks like a crank to lower it. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	87638  
lludvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #2

TV Antenna question

From right to left - in your picture ... the TV antenna is the 3rd one. If you go on the roof of the motor home, then have someone inside pull down on the antenna direction knob - and rotate. You'll see the antenna rotate.
rhutzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #3

No you won't its stationary
Don
Old 09-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #4

The "small dome shaped item on the thin rod" is your antenna. FR just hasn't updated the manuals to reflect the new omnidirectional (stationary) antenna yet...imagine that!
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #5

It is a Omni-Directional antenna and doesn't have any crank like the old ones.
Here is a link to Camping World and what I think you have.
Winegard RoadStar Omni HDTV Antenna - White - Winegard RS-3000 - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhutzler View Post
From right to left - in your picture ... the TV antenna is the 3rd one. If you go on the roof of the motor home, then have someone inside pull down on the antenna direction knob - and rotate. You'll see the antenna rotate.

Really?? Are you joking? This is wrong. This antenna has no hand crank. You're gonna love it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:56 PM   #7

You all are AWESOME! Thank you for your replies. Before posting this thread, I suspected it was the antenna, looked for a crank inside my coach, and did not find one. I looked in the manual and it briefly addressed it as an option.

My next question is: If I am at a site and get an error on the TV that I don't have a signal (or signal is weak), is there a way to adjust this antenna? I see cables connected to the back of the TV. Do I need to select whether or not it is cable or antenna signal that I am using? If so, is it in the settings menu of the TV itself? Thanks!
lludvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:26 AM   #8

You have to let TV auto program at each location and set antenna or cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #9

If you have it set to Antenna and get a weak signal error, that's exactly what it means. You are apparently in an area where reception is poor.

Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #10

BUT first you have to look inside your front passenger side cabinet for a white switch plate with a green led and a small black button to push in.Once the led is lit you will have the boosted antenna signal.You should also have a small box with a three position antenna,cable,satellite switch that needs to be set. Turn off green lite whenever you are not on antenna or you will have lots of snow.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
It is a Omni-Directional antenna and doesn't have any crank like the old ones.
Here is a link to Camping World and what I think you have.
Winegard RoadStar Omni HDTV Antenna - White - Winegard RS-3000 - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World
The new Forrest Rivers in our area the domed flying saucer TV antenna come from a company in Ontario, CA and I think their brand is LAVA. I just replaced my always worthless Wiengard 2000 with one and now get 5 to 10 times more channels. Omnidirectional. Looks like an AC front and rear and between your front ac and the flying saucer TV ant looks like a vent cover, which will allow travel with that vent open
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
If you have it set to Antenna and get a weak signal error, that's exactly what it means. You are apparently in an area where reception is poor.

Tech note. That little push button are usually on the cable connection plate for the antenna to the TV, turns on a power supply that sends 12 volts DC back up the coax to an amplifier that's built into the antenna. Without the amplier it doesnt receice much. Although most online blogs said my Wiengard 2000 was a piece of junk, I suspect that the internal amplifier was going out after 9 years of sitting in the Sun. With my new antenna up there only a week and a half , I have to say it is an amazing antenna.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, georgetown, roo, roof