Old 09-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #1

2014 Georgetown 329dsf peeling paint

I am new to the Forum I just upgraded my 283gts to a 329DSF class A.

unit is only 2 months old and the paint is starting to peel around all of the storage units. It looks like it was painted over the small bead of caulk that they put around them.

Has any one else come across issues like this. I checked the fourms and did not find anything.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #2

Attached is a photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1410096730442.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	62261  

Old 09-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #3

I would not be happy... What does your dealer say?
Old 09-07-2014, 11:13 PM   #4

I have the same issue. Paint over caulking. Cosmetic issue in my mind and I just decided to live with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-08-2014, 07:04 AM   #5

Take it back now while within the one year warranty. I would ask for consideration. I was once told that it cost $20,000 to paint one of these coaches. I would get a dialogue open with forest river ASAP and have lots of pictures. Money over repaint as repaint will do the same thing.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #6

I have the same issue on my 2014 328. Do you suppose the whole problem might have been avoided if they'd painted then caulked rather that the other way 'round? Im not sure how it's supposed to be done or how it's done on other coaches.
States Camped: Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, and Ontario CA.
swiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #7

I bought my unit at a dealership in SC and I live in NJ. I have reached out to Forest River to see what they say. I dont think the dealerships do paint work any way.

all of the other doors, out door shower, water heater etc, have caulk on them after the paint. My guess is that the unit is flexing as you drive and the caulk is more flexible than the paint causing it to crack and peel off.

My old unit had full body paint and I never had this issue so could just be the way they preped it.

Do you get a response from them yet, just curious what kind of reaction I should expect.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #8

Could be the caulking... But it could also be that they failed to pull back the edge moulding and bridge the wall and moulding with paint... Since the moulding is moving ,flexing, expanding different from the wall...The paint cracks and eventually peels...whatever it is..it boils down to bad prep work... You might be able to mask / repair with a bead of some colored caulking... (a paint/ clearcoat respray can cause more problems than what you have)..
Old 09-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #9

They definitely did not lift the moulding. Just painted over it.

I was thinking black caulk as well. My concern is you pay Ninety grand for some thing it should not start peeling the week after you get it.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #10

I agree you should expect better ..But to try and blend such a large panel without a solid body line would be difficult. .. Unless the guy really knows what he is doing or paints the entire panel.. Then there needs to be some serious prep and Even then a few years down the line you could get some clouding ... I would explain that to warranty people and see if they will note it and extend your warranty regarding the paint just in case it is or becomes an adhesion issue a few yrs down the line ..Some touch up paint then some clear caulking..and only you will know it's there .. Good luck

Tags
2014, georgetown