Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

2014 Georgetown 335 Power Step Issue

Ok, question. Why will my power step not retract after I turn my coach batter disconnect off? My last motorhome the power steps still worked even when I turned the coach battery off to prevent parasitic drain. I tried being inside the coach, with the steps retracted and then cut the battery disconnect. The unit has a "last man out" feature which still puts the steps down one more time. Any help would be much appreciated.
BigGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Retired US Army CW4

I spent at least an hour trying everything I could think of. Here is what I came up with for my 2014 329DS. Close the screen door, reach through the opening and turn off the power switch and then close the main door. If anyone comes up with a better idea, please let all of us know.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #3

That's how I do it.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #4

You can also get a magnet and stick it by the door switch to simulate the door being closed
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhanson View Post
You can also get a magnet and stick it by the door switch to simulate the door being closed
Magnet all the way! Exit the coach leaving door open, put a magnet on the door frame sensor and the steps retract, reach in and turn battery switch off, close and lock door. When you return just open door, stand to the side and remove magnet and steps will deploy, turn battery switch on and you are in business. I'm 6 feet tall and I can't reach thru the screen door and hit the battery switch.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I was doing the magnet thing also but now just close the screen door first and reach in and shut off the switch.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #7

I would suggest that your last MH had the Kwikee electric step system and it could be reset to stay retracted as you say. The system you have now, I believe, is the Lippert system and it is functioning normally. I also just reach through the closed screen door and turn off step and storage switch after retraction.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #8

I will try these suggestions this week. Thank you fellow Forest River Pals.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #9

Reaching through the screen door opening worked like a charm. I do not know why I did not think of that. Like my Grandfather use to say, "Buy you books and send you to school and what do you do, eat the covers." Thanks all!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #10

After having my house batteries run down from the "junk" still running after I use the disconnect switch I bought a big battery disconnect that goes on one of my batteries. I close up, open the big knife switch and EVERYTHING is off without me having to remember stuff. Weeks and weeks later my batteries are still good to go. Some times it's the simple things that work best.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfive
After having my house batteries run down from the "junk" still running after I use the disconnect switch I bought a big battery disconnect that goes on one of my batteries. I close up, open the big knife switch and EVERYTHING is off without me having to remember stuff. Weeks and weeks later my batteries are still good to go. Some times it's the simple things that work best.
X2
Old 05-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
Kanadian Kamper

Attention all Georgetown owners..............

Not all models have their switches within reach of the screen door opening. Depending on what model and what year, you WILL have to use a magnet type trick to have the steps retract. The bank of switches is located in different places amongst the Georgetown models.

Be very specific which model you are discussing with your problems and resolutions.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #13

I solved this issue on my coach by doing a simple wiring change. On my coach there is a fused wire coming directly off the battery to the steps. This is what allows the step to extend with the battery disconnected. My battery control centre is just above the battery bank, and it contains the solenoid activated by the battery disconnect switch. The live connection (direct from the battery) and the switched connection are extended to the outside of the battery control centre on the right side. They are easy to locate if you take the cover off the battery control centre to see the solenoid. I moved the step power wire from the battery positive terminal to the switched side of the solenoid. Now there is no power to the steps once the disconnect switch is activated.
leomosley is offline   Reply With Quote