Old 06-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #1

2014 Georgetown 351DS

Hello all - I've been busily searching and reading through the forums trying to absorb as much information as possible. You are all a wealth of knowledge and I for one appreciate what you share and hope to be able to contribute to that soon!

My wife and I have decided we're ready for an RV as we have 5 kids between the two of us (ages range 9-14) and with vacations, sports, long weekends, etc it's time! I've grown up with travel trailers and really miss that lifestyle and freedom.

I've done the research and based upon our needs, how we plan to use the coach, and the price point we want to be in, we're leaning very heavily towards a 2014 351DS our local dealer has in stock and really wants to move to make way for the 2015's. I've seen the thread comparing the 2014 to 2015, the new feature I admittedly like best is the linoleum in the cockpit area. However, if I can get the price down on the 2014 low enough I do not feel I'll regret that decision (although I'm open to hearing otherwise from people that have the carpet there!).

For you 351DS owners out there, after you've used it some time, what features have you heard yourself say "I wish this coach had.....or didn't have" or what upgrades have you made over time? These are things I want to ask the dealership to work with me on.

This unit has the overhead bunk (desired), exterior entertainment system, Prestige package (Coffee color with thunder décor), generator, transfer switch, 2nd AC, dvd players in bunks, stainless package w residential fridge, 2 additional batteries, and home theater.

Things I think I want to change\upgrade now or in the future:

1. Sliding tv bracket for living room tv (dealer said they'd add)
2. Larger (?) inverter and connect at least living room tv to it (??)
3. Has 2 coach batteries, is there room to add more?
4. In-motion satellite - I think this is a topic on its own and one I need to research.
5. I hear the home theater isn't very good and worth replacing someday.
6. I'd like to upgrade the stereo for an XM radio unit (is there an input jack for an external unit or iPod?)

I'm looking for suggestions of things I might want to ask the dealer to add at time of sale as part of the negotiation. I'm sure there are things I would never think of!

I'm looking forward to the test drive tomorrow! Could be joining the ranks of 351 owners soon!

Tom

Old 06-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #2

How fun for you!!! We have a 2015 351, and have had it about a month

For us, the slide on the TV bracket isn't a big deal, as we don't have any kids and don't watch TV much when we are moving, but it would be nice to have while you were parked!

Not sure on the inverter - ours has the standard one it came with only.

Our coach has 4 batteries already - we didn't add any to it so I don't know if it was standard or what for the 2015. Our battery compartment doesn't appear to have much additional space for any more batteries either. We've had the fridge running only on battery power for up to about 18 hours, without draining it (I think it was at half when we got back to it)

Can't comment on the in-motion, although I'll be happy to draft off your research!!!

We have the home theater and it's "not bad" in my opinion. It's not great either, a little muffled and we probably will replace it someday, but we are satisfied. We do listen to CD's and our ipods A LOT. I will say that when the coach is moving, it's very hard to hear the stereo in the cab area without really cranking the volume - the speakers are in the living area only (except the bass box, which is in the passenger side corner) The stereo does have an audio in line for the ipod (must buy a cord though)

I would ask for them to install a surge proctector (ours is progressive industries) and ran us about $450 installed. Protects from high/low voltage and miswired campgrounds.

Also have them relocate the trailer hitch harness (that holds the plug for the tow) to the top of the hitch - we have heard they get knocked off pretty often when going over a low area. We had this done at the dealer as well.

Ask for the interior lights to be replaced with LED's (the 2015's are standard with them) and LED awning lights (standard in the 2015 also)

If you have Lippert steps, see if they will swap for the Kwikee, there have been lots of problems with the Lipperts (ours came with Kwikee)

Ours has a pull-out drawer in the basement area, I really like it but some people think it eats up too much storage space. That's a possibility

We've also done a few small modifications ourselves, like adding a bar on the screen door, and a screen door opener latch. Added some command adhesive hooks and other things to make our lives a bit easier (some hooks that go over the cabinet doors to hang kitchen towels, for instance) or a toliet paper holder (got a nice stand at Bed Bath and Beyond)

Good luck on your test drive, these forums are the BEST for information!!!
Garren

Old 06-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #3

Well, you are about to buy the best Class A for the money. We love ours so much we sometimes sleep in it while it's parked on the side of the house.

Lots of questions to be answered, but I'll start with the most important one that you will sooner or later ask: "How do I improve handling". You will be so excited on your test drive that you probably won't notice that handling needs to be improved so that you can relax and have fun.

Here is what you do. Tell the dealer to inflate all of your tires to 92 psi. Tell the dealer to do the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix). It involves moving the sway bar end links to the inner position so that it provides better handling.

Now, this is between you and the dealer, but you can probably get a good deal if you push them. You will eventually want two things, a rear trak bar, and a steering stabilizer. I would ask to get those at dealer's cost and install for free. Last but not least, schedule a wheel alignment soon after you buy it so that FR will cover it.

As far as other things: Will you be doing a lot of boondocking? If not, the two 12v batteries are more than enough. You have to remember that running the generator is cheap...about 1/2 gallon of fuel per hour and it's good to run it.

You don't need a larger inverter to run the TV off of the included inverter. It has an extra outlet that you could run the TV off of it, but it would be a PITA. We just run the generator if we want to watch TV on the road, etc.

Oh, and the stock shocks are total junk. You will eventually want to install Koni FSD RV shocks.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
If you do in-motion avoid trying to get receivers for both TV. One dish with 2 receivers has to sync both receivers each time the dish rotates. It's agonizingly slow and loud. The wine guard rep actually couldn't get them to sync. Good luck....
Old 06-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #5

Thank you everyone for the ideas!

Well, we drove it, really liked it, negotiated a price we were happy with and included the add-ons as part of the deal based on your suggestions what I was able to look for and verify.

We did add the whole coach in-line surge protector, the Winegard RT4035T in-motion satellite system and sliding TV mount. They'll correct some of the little odds and ends (hitch wiring mount) that I asked for, detail it and we pick it up Saturday. Wow, quick and easy!

Unfortunately this dealership is not equipped to handle any "mechanical" related items, so no alignment, CHF, rear track bar or steering stabilizer. I will be pursuing those items with our local Ford truck garage as necessary. For now, we're planning to put a bunch of miles on it and see what it needs!

More to come once we get it....thank you all again for the suggestions!

Tom
Old 06-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDaRox View Post
Thank you everyone for the ideas!

Well, we drove it, really liked it, negotiated a price we were happy with and included the add-ons as part of the deal based on your suggestions what I was able to look for and verify.

We did add the whole coach in-line surge protector, the Winegard RT4035T in-motion satellite system and sliding TV mount. They'll correct some of the little odds and ends (hitch wiring mount) that I asked for, detail it and we pick it up Saturday. Wow, quick and easy!

Unfortunately this dealership is not equipped to handle any "mechanical" related items, so no alignment, CHF, rear track bar or steering stabilizer. I will be pursuing those items with our local Ford truck garage as necessary. For now, we're planning to put a bunch of miles on it and see what it needs!

More to come once we get it....thank you all again for the suggestions!

Tom
I can understand the wheel alignment, but any dealer can just about do anything else. You can do the CHF yourself, it's very easy and the best bang for the buck...or no bucks since it's free.

Enjoy it and let us know how things go. I've gone through just about anything with ours and I'm sure more things to come.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #7

congrats again !!!!

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, georgetown