Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilr View Post
I recently joined the forum to see if anyone else were having problems with their Georgetown. Well I quickly discovered that I am not alone.
I purchased my 2014 Georgetown 351sd bunkhouse in June of this year from a dealership in Texas. All went well until the trip home in my brand new 2014 RV. first the so called speaker "woofer" began making a buzzing sound so annnoying that i just turned the radio off. on my first outing with the wife and kids, one of the 13" tv's in the bunks went out, try explaining that to a kid as to why his sisters tv works but his doesn't. after about two weeks of haggling with the dealership they finally sent me another TV, my expense was to return the defective one via USPS with proof of mailing of which I had to proove that it was mailed to the dealership by faxing them a copy of my receipt, my follow up calls were that they had not received the Tv that I had sent. The same week I began having trouble with the darn screen door and the entrance / exit door that wouldn't stay closed i managed to make a few adjustments on the handle myself on that one. A few days later I began having trouble with the electric steps that did not seem to retract when the door was closed. my first call to the dealership i was told to give it some time. That was early July, by mid July the steps finally stopped working and of course they stayed in the open position, luckily i was parked when I noticed it. HERE is the good part. I have to manually tie the steps in place just to get home all the while hoping that the rubber straps I used would hold up on the way. callling the dealership i was referrred to forest river who referred me to a local Camper dealership that does warrarty work for forest river. First some company called "quickie" sent a motor which was not the problem, you could hear the motor whinning each tiem the door was opened and closed. I decided to take a look myself and found that a large bolt was very loose. Quikie sent a bolt.
i am no mechanic but i can tell when a bolt has been sheared and that was the problen then and its still a problem now. In the meantime i have not been able to use my New 2014 Georgetown until, and if the steps ever get repaired. Sure i have made all kinds of calls and a week ago today I finally made contact with someone in Warranty Service over the span of about 5 weeks, of which I had not been able to use the RV, i refused to hop in and hop out of a brand new 2014 RV. the warranty person assured me that they would order new steps for the RV. Thats another week and another tailgate I missed. In fact i called seversal times today only to get a voice mail.
This is one that I did not see coming. Its my first RV purchase and i have concluded that " I AM NOT ALONE". If only i could have read some forums prior to purchase instead of brochures and warranties. Hopefull i will get my new steps installed before the tailgate season ends. If not I intend to be an "X" rv owner very darn soon.

I've read all, but one has to admit $100k+ is rather disheartening for something already broke. Don't know what's worse, wondering where the next bed bug going to come from in a motel, or where the comforter has been... motor on , your feeling somewhat overwhelmed I know, just tackle one problem at a time, as you understand more the easier it gets....
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #22

I guess I am a lucky one. I bought a Georgetown XL337 in 2013 and have put 30k on it already. When I first got it there was a bad slideout switch on the control panel, and the dealer fixed it. Other than a few loose screws, fittings, etc, I have not had a problem. I went to the Georgetown plant and watched them being built. Th quality and final inspection are excellent. But components do fail. The lippert steps are junk and have had a bolt shearing problem from the start. I carry an extra stainless steel bolt just in case.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #23
Retired US Army CW4

I'm with you Jim J. The only issues I've had with my 2014 are a binding wire cable on the main slide and a mislabeled fresh water fill. This is my third motorhome and there have been a few screws that need to be tightened up and a couple of cosmetic issues. If I was unable to fix the "little things" on my own without the dealer I wouldn't own a motorhome (or any RV for that matter). I did have the LCI "stairs of death" replaced with Kwikee, but even that was minor when compared with the number of parts in these things.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river