Old 03-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #1

2014 Georgetown - have you replaced closet rodds / hangers?

There is a lot that I love about our 2014 GT 351, but the closet rod / hangers is not one of them. The engineer that decided those would be a good idea needs his head examined. Once you crane your neck around to look up at the rod you have to align the clothes hanger perfectly to insert into one of the holes along the track. One of them fell off completely on our maiden journey. We really want a plain ole closet rod, or perhaps a Closet Maid variety.

Has anyone made this mod? I seem to recall someone using Closet Maid products to do this, but couldn't locate the post. The main trick seems to be securing the new rod to the sides of the closet, which would no doubt require some reinforcing since it's very thin material.

-Mike

Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #2

This is what I did on our new GT360XL.
I hung a wood round dowel (Lowes) with some strong wire. Helped lots 'cause it's lower and no slots. Didn't go all the way across to leave some room for long clothes. Works great, though, for shorts/shirts.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1395696932.878519.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	48343Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1395696983.216027.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	48344

Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #3

Yup, DW did complain about those and I told her I would do something about it. I'm probably going to put a rod a little bit lower like Sbryant did. The problem is that you can't use the side walls to install a proper rod since they are too thin.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #4

Closet rod

The factory hanger strip also fell on our first trip. I re-attached it with short molly bolts. To replace the awkward individual hanger holes, I bought a piece of 3/4inch gray plastic electric conduit pipe. I then cut it to match the width of the closet. The pipe was then hung below the factory closet hanger using a number of large plastic wire ties.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
Yup, DW did complain about those and I told her I would do something about it. I'm probably going to put a rod a little bit lower like Sbryant did. The problem is that you can't use the side walls to install a proper rod since they are too thin.
Seems like the outside wall of closet would be substantial enough to fasten to, although I'm concerned about how long a fastener could be. The inside wall (tv side) is for sure too flimsy and would need to be reinforced.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #6

I got some of the expandable shower rods and some s hooks and attached the shower rod to the track they had in the closet, works great

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #7

I removed the valet rod all together and installed an extendable closet rod by cutting 2 2x6's to height and notching out an area for the rod to rest in it. Used some extra strong super glue to attach the 2x6's to the wall itself.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #8

My wife hated the metal strip with hanger holes. Like the others here, ours eventually fell from the ceiling. I installed a Closet Maid brand shelf/hanger in the bedroom closet. To do this, I added 2"x1" wood strips on the side walls in the closet to secure the Closet Maid shelf and transfer the weight to the internal wall framing. One side also uses "L" brackets to attach to the rear of the closet cabinet. Using the Closet Maid product also gained a small shelf above the hanger area. It has been installed almost a year with no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelf 1.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	50585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelf 2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	50586  
Old 04-22-2014, 01:12 AM   #9

A minor update to my post above: The added wood to support the shelf is actually 3.5" wide x .75" thick. I didn't have my tape measure handy when I wrote it.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
Cornelius,
That is a great idea.
Got a question since the side are so thin did you secure the wood to the side with screws and install the L bracket to the back wall? so the rod keeps the tension between the pieces of wood, right? can you post more photo's on wher you installed the L brackets.

Thanks

US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown