Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2019, 07:30 AM   #1

2014 Georgetown with only 4400 miles

Hello....new to this forum as we are looking at trading in out Thor Outlaw for a Georgetown XL 377

We have come across a nice model that is a 2016 with 4400 miles. An older couple that could not handle it traded it in for a small C.

Anyone have any experience with a model with several years but so less mileage? We are hesitant as maybe it has sat for too long - but then again we do not want to move into one that was heavily used. catch-22 sometimes. We will be full timing in a couple years and this will be our coach.

Constructive comments appreciated....thanks in advance
JeffnBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #2

Just inspect it carefully. Have he chassis inspected. Hopefully it wasn't parked on gravel or dirt, because that makes them rust quickly underneath. Check it for water leaks. It's gong to be just like one with more miles. I would continue with the purchase if it checks out good.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:34 AM   #3

If you like the layout and the price go for it.
I would think the price should be around $79,000 or less.
I have a 2012 Georgetown 378TS XL and have over 73,000 miles on mine.

See link for value
https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2014/...6532247/Values

Things I would look at to negotiate a lower price.
1. Tires are over 5 years old probably have a 2013 DOT date on them.
They may need to be replaced.

2. If the front tires have unusual wear on them it may need a front end alignment.

3. Has it had any oil/filter changes since new?
Do they have any records of this?

The rest is superficial and all equipment needs to be tested to insure it all works.

Biggest thing I would spend time checking is the hydraulic levelers and slide out system. Check for any hose leaks underneath or around the pump and levelers themselves. They have had problems of hose bubbling and hose ends not properly attached and leaking.

The XL is the top of the line for the Georgetown and has many options that are great. Paint job, larger 22.5" tires and aluminum rims, power drivers seats, usually plumbed for washer/dryer combo, 2 ac units, double pane windows, electric side mirrors, Tinted exterior glass to mention a few things.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
If you like the layout and the price go for it.
I would think the price should be around $80,000.
I have a 2012 Georgetown 378TS XL and have over 73,000 miles on mine.

Things I would look at to negotiate a lower price.
1. Tires are over 5 years old probably have a 2013 DOT date on them.
They may need to be replaced.

2. If the front tires have unusual wear on them it may need a front end alignment.

3. Has it had any oil/filter changes since new?
Do they have any records of this?

The rest is superficial and all equipment needs to be tested to insure it all works.

Biggest thing I would spend time checking is the hydraulic levelers and slide out system. Check for any hose leaks underneath or around the pump and levelers themselves. They have had problems of hose bubbling and hose ends not properly attached and leaking.

The XL is the top of the line for the Georgetown and has many options that are great. Paint job, larger 22.5" tires and aluminum rims, power drivers seats, usually plumbed for washer/dryer combo, 2 ac units, double pane windows, electric side mirrors, Tinted exterior glass to mention a few things.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for the pointers....will definitely be checking systems and will inspect the leveler hoses. It's a very clean unit, but i would expect that with only 4400 miles.... my wife previewed it Tuesday and I'm going to look at it today (I was out of town for business)...it's nada is 89k to 103k and they listed at 98k...so room to negotiate
Old 12-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #5

Price varies in what part of the country you are located.
I entered my zip code for Phoenix AZ to get that price.
If you go back tot he link you can change it and see what the value changes
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #6
GeorgetownAZ

Love Our 2017

We have a 2017 and have had no major issues. Definitely check the underside. Also ask if there has been any warranty work or modifications to the sway bars, etc. Alis run the generator and see if it takes over 110v power. Good luck and enjoy!
GeorgetownAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:57 PM   #7

A 2014 even with very low miles is no where near $98k. FWIW, I paid $64 this spring for our 12 350TS. So a couple years newer even with low miles should be around $75k no way are they going to get $90k!!!!! Even if NADA lists it at that.

We were looking at them back at that time period. With the discounts they were selling around $90k brand new!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #8

Another concern is the fuel system and how long has fuel been sitting. Also the carb for the generator, they gum up. Also all the batterys.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #9

I have a 2017 Georgetown 364ts full body paint built in 2016 and agree with all the things to check above! Batteries tires leaks and the generators are made to be run a lot the Onan generator service center dealer told me and problems happen when you don’t use them. But that is probably a minor expense compare to the total cost. Also was it stored inside? That can help make it worth more I believe. Good Luck I wish mine had that heavier chassis like the xl but no problems so far.
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:44 PM   #10

Others have given you lots of idea to check. I will only jump in to say that we have a 2013 377XL and absolutely love the floor plan. Not sure if yours has the upgrade to 4 batteries from the 2 that I have but that is the only downside to mine. Very hard to run more than overnight without plugging into AC or turning the generator on.

2013 Georgetown XL 377TS
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Craiginok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffnBeth View Post
...it's nada is 89k to 103k and they listed at 98k...so room to negotiate
I have a smaller 2015 G'town with 60k on it.
I want to tell you that NADA is WAYYYY high on the price. EVERY model G'town could be had brand new in 2015 for between 85k and 100k fully loaded. I paid 90 for mine then so a 98k nada is grossly overstated. I would certainly give credit for the low miles but the average coach might hive 25-30k on it for that age so it is not THAT big a deal. Of greater concern to me is how long the coach sat without anything being operated. I agree with everything Iggy said and you are certainly gonna need to spend $2500 or so for 6 tires. Has the GENERATOR which should be operated under load at least 1/2 hour a month...been exercized? How about the engine rubber parts wires, gaskets? How about the roof and hatch covers and cowl vents sun damage?
Any sign of mice or bugs...I would not offer not more than 60-65k even if nothing other than tires seems to need replacement. That said...if you can get it at a good price and it checks out well, you'll have yourself a good deal on a great RV!
Here's a bunch of G'towns brand new on sale so you can make comparison evaluations on price and features today vs. 2014 & NADA.
https://www.mhsrv.com/forest-river-rv/georgetown
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #12
drw

i bought a 2016 last year. Basically little to no issues. Had only 7000 miles when i got it. Put several thousand miles on it my self in one year. Biggest thing was figuring out everything. Did not have any instruction manuals, this forum has help and google has as well. So would be glad to share what I have learned about things.
drw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #13

We bought a 2014 GT378 with 7500 miles on it last year. Had all of the fluids changed, new tires and batteries negotiated in the purchase price. We got ours OTD with a 4 year extended warranty for a click under $80K.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #14

Three thoughts for you:

1. Search the Internet for like-models and their asking price. Price is WAY high.

2. I once did what you are considering: Buying a low mileage rig with a few years on it that was traded in because the owners couldn't handle a larger unit.

It worked out great for us.

3. When you get it home or on your first outing you will find issues. Keep in mind that if you bought it new with 1,500 miles on it (delivery miles), you would get it home or on your first outing you would find issues.

And keep in mind, if you just accept the notion that every time you go out, something will break or need adjusting, it makes camping much more pleasant. 'Stuff' just happens when you take a house and vibrate the dickins out of it.

My list of things to do:

1. Check the tires. They are probably due for replacement due to age. They are expensive.
2. Check the batteries. They are probably due for replacement due to age. They are expensive
3. Pretend you are 5-years old and turn on EVERYTHING. Don't rely on the dealer doing this for you, in front of you. You do it, in front of the dealer.
4. Check the electrical outlets and make sure they all work on the inverter.
5. Check the battery box for corrosion from battery acid. Require it be cleaned and painted.
5. Look for stains on the ceiling that indicate leaks. Look CLOSELY as they may have been cleaned or painted over.
6. Walk on the roof looking for new or patched leaks.
7. If there are decals vs. full body paint, look for cracking or peeling.
8. Look carefully inside each basement compartment. Never know what you'll find.
9. Be aware that much of the nice interior wood is plastic-wrapped particle board.
10. Do all basement lights work?
11. Is the water filter new?
12. Since you plan to full-time, does the rig have a full winter package?

I currently have a 2016 Georgetown 31L5. I bought it new. It had LOTS of issues in the first 90 days (two page list). It was even missing the steering column boot (gasket where steering column goes through the floor).
Old 12-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginok View Post
Others have given you lots of idea to check. I will only jump in to say that we have a 2013 377XL and absolutely love the floor plan. Not sure if yours has the upgrade to 4 batteries from the 2 that I have but that is the only downside to mine. Very hard to run more than overnight without plugging into AC or turning the generator on.
It has 4 house batteries (replaced them all since this is now "new" to us)
Old 12-26-2019, 04:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drw View Post
i bought a 2016 last year. Basically little to no issues. Had only 7000 miles when i got it. Put several thousand miles on it my self in one year. Biggest thing was figuring out everything. Did not have any instruction manuals, this forum has help and google has as well. So would be glad to share what I have learned about things.
The manuals are no help anyway and I have them all...lol

Google searches are the answer but not always have what i need. First thing we noticed was the hot water not being very hot...searched high and low for something and finally found out about he access cap under the water heater and the bypass valve was not closed....problem solved
Old 12-26-2019, 05:06 PM   #17

If a Suburban Electric/propane water heater, you can use both to heat the water for showers. We do back to back and don't run out.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:11 PM   #18
NXR

Since you already bought it, consider hiring an inspector from here https://nrvia.org/locate/ and getting a full report. There are several located within fifty miles of you.

Ray

Tags
2014, georgetown