Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #1

2014 GT 335DS Full Hook-Up Question

We are first time RV owners and we've heard a difference of operational procedures while fully hooked up at a camp site (electric, water and sewer).
Question.....does the "grey" tank and "black" tank BOTH get hooked up to the sewer ? If not, which one does ?

Thanks in advance......
Dan and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Always Learning

Your tanks will go to one or two sewer connections on your Georgetown. I'm a fifth-wheeler, so I don't know your camper specifically- but my expectation is that there is only 1 sewer connection on your rig. The way that your camper is likely plumbed is that each tank goes to a pipe. Those pipes come together to a common sewer outlet/connection. Where the pipes come together are going to be a pair of valves that let you open one or the other (gray vs. black) to control what comes down and out of the pipe.

You connect a "stinky slinky" hose to the motorhome's sewer connection on one end and the site's sewer hookup on the other. The kits (like I linked to) are nice because they give you a 90-degree hookup for the site because most stick straight up from the ground.

When you're at the site, you leave your valves closed so that the gray water and black water collect in your tank. Once they're full (or close to it), that's when you dump them. Some people will leave their gray tank open because it can fill fairly quick with showers and whatnot. But you always want to leave your black tank closed. If you don't, the peepees run down the tub, but the "solids" get left behind leaving you the worlds worst pyramid of doom. Having lots of water per flush and waiting for the tank to be mostly full for emptying makes sure there's enough water to send all of the "stuff" down the slide to the sewer.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #3

You have two tanks (gray and black) but only one drain. When you are ready to dump them, you first open the black and then when it's done, you open the gray. I also suggest draining the black as full as possible as it allows it to drain the crap (LOL) better. That is for a temporary camp site. For a permanent site, you always leave your gray valve open and only dump the black when it's about 3/4 full. Hope this helps.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #4

If you're asking if you should dump your black and gray tanks into the single sewer connection at your site then the answer is yes. When preparing to leave I dump in the order of dirtiest to cleanest, I have 3 tanks. So for me it goes black tank, gray tank 1 which is my shower and bathroom sink, then gray tank 2 which is my kitchen sink.
2013 Cardinal 3030RL
B&W Companion Hitch
“Trail Air” air bag pin box
jt1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #5

My Georgetown has two gray and two black tanks and two separate drains because I have two separate bathrooms/heads. If so, you will have to do the dump procedure twice. I also have two black tank flush out hose connectors. Its smart to flush the tank for a few miniutes and then add a few gallons to slosh around going down the road. That keeps any remnants from drying out and clogging things up. Drain black first, grey second, then flush black third is my system. Also, you don't need to dump your tanks everytime you just overnight. I usually dump every other night when there is 1/3 or less in the tanks. I also only carry 1/3 or less fresh going down the road. Each gallon weighs about 8lbs and nearly full tanks add a lot of weight. Also, be sure and dump the last night of your trip before getting home!
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #6

All the advice is great above, I learned the hard way years ago. I opened all my tanks thinking that this is easy no problem. After about 2 weeks my black tank started to fill up, only the water to flush and pee was running out. The other stayed in the bottom until it plugged my drain. It was like concrete. I found a product at an RV store that you have to add and let sit for 24 hrs. then it broke it up. Lesson learned the hard way. I talked to an RV repair man and he told me about it. If that didn't work I would have had to replace the black tank, he told me that he has done that alot and it was very costly.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #7

It looks like the 335DS is single bath and a gally. I dont own the floor plan, but had a Class A before moving to a 5er. Thanks to the internet picture show you have only have one sewer connection in the water bay and only two valves, one for grey and one for black.

My system for long term stays is I leave the grey (or now greys on the 5er) open and allow the black tank to fill. About once a week, close the grey for a shower or two, dump the black and then the grey water. Close the black tank and start again. I usually flush the black tank at the end of my longer stays, or about every 3-4 times I dump through the season. This was all on my old Monaco and I expect to keep the same system on my 5er.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #8

One last point. Always make sure your drain line is completely secure before opening your valves. In the dark, or when reaching under an extended slide it is easy to only catch one of the two hooks. If so, the moment the surge of heavy water hits the drain line it can pop off the connection and you will instantly have a bunch of very nasty water all over your feet. My bet is many of us (me included) have had this awful experience.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Always Learning

Bill makes a great point- I always pull my gray first for a few seconds to ensure my connections are all right.