Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #1

2014 GT Electric Stairs

I just went to get into my motorhome and the stairs made a God awful sound. A large bolt and washer fell down. The bolt looks like it was sheared off. The stair no longer retract. I thought somebody else on here had the same problem. I had a trip planned. Any thoughts on how long it will take to repair this problem. Thanks all!
BigGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #2

Sounds like the main pivot bolt has fallen out. Is there threads on one end and a round allen wrench head on the other?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Sounds like the main pivot bolt has fallen out. Is there threads on one end and a round allen wrench head on the other?
Yes on the Allen head but no threads. The bolt has been sheared off. I have only used this thing a few times.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #4

That is your main pivot bolt and sounds like it has indeed sheared off. If you look underneath the stairs you will see where the bolt came from and should see the sheared portion still in its socket. That sheared portion has to come out to repair the stairs. You should be able to somehow bind the stairs in the stowed position for traveling if need be. Lippert part number is: 128969. I believe it's a 5/8-14 X 3 1/4 socket head cap screw. The power for the steps should be via a 25 amp fuse at one of your battery terminals.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #5

Quote:
That is your main pivot bolt and sounds like it has indeed sheared off. If you look underneath the stairs you will see where the bolt came from and should see the sheared portion still in its socket. That sheared portion has to come out to repair the stairs. You should be able to somehow bind the stairs in the stowed position for traveling if need be. Lippert part number is: 128969. I believe it's a 5/8-14 X 3 1/4 socket head cap screw.
The problem is the sheared part is up in the hole and you can't grab it to get it out.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #6

Probably going to need an easy out or some such. I don't think it bottoms out and shouldn't be to hard to remove. Just need the proper tool. Did you see I added where the power comes from 25 amp fuse at the battery? This is Sunday and finding some help may be difficult at best.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Probably going to need an easy out or some such. I don't think it bottoms out and shouldn't be to hard to remove. Just need the proper tool. Did you see I added where the power comes from 25 amp fuse at the battery? This is Sunday and finding some help may be difficult at best.
I wonder what caused that.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #8

I believe the bolt tends to loosen and then any stress on it (stepping on it) allows what you have. There has been other threads here that talk about what happened to you. I now know to check that bolt for tightness and have installed it with locktite. If you can contact Lippert customer service (look in your literature) they typically can overnight a bolt to your location. Don't know if they are available weekends. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGeorge View Post
Yes on the Allen head but no threads. The bolt has been sheared off. I have only used this thing a few times.
Open the battery access panel (the inside stairs that come out) and you should be able to grab the other end of the threads and screw it out with a pair of pliers or visegrips. Check the hole in the big gear and make sure it hasn't been worn oblong. You can also get some bungi cords and "tie" the stairs up from inside. It's a little easier than climbing under the RV.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post

Open the battery access panel (the inside stairs that come out) and you should be able to grab the other end of the threads and screw it out with a pair of pliers or visegrips. Check the hole in the big gear and make sure it hasn't been worn oblong. You can also get some bungi cords and "tie" the stairs up from inside. It's a little easier than climbing under the RV.
My battery access panel is on the other side of the unit. In have a GT 335. The inside stairs do not come out. (That I know of). I will check the gear. Does anybody have a number for Lipert?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
Navion IQ 24V

The main pivot bolt will be tack welded on top so it cannot back out or at least mine was . My dealer replaced the whole unit under warranty. It happened like 3 weeks after I purchased the unit.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildhog56 View Post
The main pivot bolt will be tack welded on top so it cannot back out or at least mine was . My dealer replaced the whole unit under warranty. It happened like 3 weeks after I purchased the unit.
Thanks. How long did the repair take.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
Navion IQ 24V

Actually I called them 1st, they ordered the steps @ 2 weeks , then when the came in I removed the damaged steps brought them to the dealer made the swap & installed them myself. Figure about an hour total. Helps to have a hyd jack to balance them on.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #14

We had the same problem about a month ago. I I used a tie down to hold the stairs in and took it to the dealer. It took a few days for the part to come in but the actual repair was pretty quick.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #15

UPDATE. Just spoke to the factory. They were extremely nice. Said this is happening a lot. They are replacing with the Quick Step. Problem is they have none and are on back order. They are making some calls for me. I will keep my fingers crossed. Thank you all for the help.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGeorge View Post
UPDATE. Just spoke to the factory. They were extremely nice. Said this is happening a lot. They are replacing with the Quick Step. Problem is they have none and are on back order. They are making some calls for me. I will keep my fingers crossed. Thank you all for the help.
Is this on all the Georgetowns? 2013-2014?
Lorigirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorigirl10 View Post

Is this on all the Georgetowns? 2013-2014?
We have the xl 377 2014, it goes back to the shop, again after July 4 th, is ths another thing we should have done at that time?
Lorigirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorigirl10 View Post

We have the xl 377 2014, it goes back to the shop, again after July 4 th, is ths another thing we should have done at that time?
We have a 2014. Not sure how far the defect goes back. It is not a recall from Lippert. To my knowledge they are only replacing the steps if they fail. I like the Quick Step better, that is what I had on my Winnebego. So at least that is good.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #19

What is quick steps? Or are you talking about steps made by Kwikee?
Old 06-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #20

Quote:
What is quick steps? Or are you talking about steps made by Kwikee?
Don't know. FR said Quick Step as the model. That was the name that was on my Winnebego. They could be made by Kwikee. I really don't know.