Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #41
Site Team

The WH element is usually the culprit when the shore power GFI trips. I always turn off the WH electric as part of my breaking camp routine. That way if someone plugs unit in for cleaning or other reasons you do no burn up element.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #42

Sounds like I need to start planning on connecting an inside switch with an indicator light to remind me the element is turned on.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkarper14 View Post
Sounds like I need to start planning on connecting an inside switch with an indicator light to remind me the element is turned on.
Wow. We ordered out new TT with the elect on the Suburban WH and now I wonder if those electric elements are more trouble than they are worth for as seldom as we go on hook ups anyway?
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The WH element is usually the culprit when the shore power GFI trips. I always turn off the WH electric as part of my breaking camp routine. That way if someone plugs unit in for cleaning or other reasons you do no burn up element.
This is my process exactly. When I hook up the water at a camp site, I'm standing by the water heater so I turn on the electric element (after verifying I have water in the tank!). When I remove the water hose from the trailer when leaving a camp site, I'm standing near the water heater so I turn off the electric element switch. No worries.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #45

Glad it worked out. Thank god for this forum. When I had this same problem, I had no idea what to do. I am totally clueless when it comes to electrical issues. Forum saved my but plus a ton of money!!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
This is my process exactly. When I hook up the water at a camp site, I'm standing by the water heater so I turn on the electric element (after verifying I have water in the tank!). When I remove the water hose from the trailer when leaving a camp site, I'm standing near the water heater so I turn off the electric element switch. No worries.
Sounds like a good plan, but we keep ours at a seasonal site when we are not on the road. Usually the water and electric remains connected. We just shut off the water at the spigot. I don't think it would hurt the element because water will remain in the tank, but our electric bill would go through the roof. This idiot is going to need an idiot light.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #47
Site Team

There are all kind of simple ways to remind yourself of the electric heating element being on if you don't use a checklist when making/breaking camp.

One way is to just use a clothespin and write 'water heater' on it. You can attach the clothes pin to your RV's hitch coupler (if trailer so you cannot hook to TV without seeing it) or somewhere obvious on a motorhome....that reminds you turn it off. You can do the same for steps, antenna, etc.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

You can also put these below on your Christmas list if you like:

RVminders: Safety warning system for RVs

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote