Old 02-16-2016, 09:19 AM   #1

2015 364TS Tripping Shore 115V GFCI

Hey everyone, have one that has stumped me (licensed small appliance electrician) and the service department for Forest River coaches. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

When we plug into shore power 115V GFCI to keep the batteries charged in storage, the GFCI trips as soon as we plug in the coach. We have been storing it here for 8 months and never had an issue until after we received it back from MHSRV (Service Dealer). We had an issue where the Gen was frying the circuit board on the auto transfer switch. We went through 4 auto transfer switches before we finally found out that Onan had an issue where the gen was sending too many volts to the auto transfer switch. So, they replaced a board on the generator to fix the issue. Now that we have the coach back this issue has started. Please see a list below of everything we and the dealer have already tried before you list your idea.

1. Turned off all breakers on the main breaker panel and shore GFCI does not trip.
2. Turn on Main 50 amp breaker and the shore GFCI trips
3. Disconnect the Line coming on from the generator to the auto transfer switch and the shore GFCI still trips
4. Tried a new power cord and the shore GFCI still trips
5. Tried a new Auto transfer switch and the shore GFCI still trips
6. Tried a new 50 amp breaker and the shore GFCI still trips
7. Tried a new 50 amp to 30 amp reducer and a new 30 amp to 115V reducer and shore GFCI still trips
8. Nothing is plugged into the outlets in the coach (which I assume are tied to the main 50 amp breaker since there is not a breaker labeled Receptacles)

So, basically the only thing connected to the shore pole 115 GFCI plug is the Main cord to the coach, the auto transfer switch and the main breaker

So, what are we missing? Thank you for your help, we are so frustrated at this point.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by handman View Post
Hey everyone, have one that has stumped me (licensed small appliance electrician) and the service department for Forest River coaches. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

When we plug into shore power 115V GFCI to keep the batteries charged in storage, the GFCI trips as soon as we plug in the coach. We have been storing it here for 8 months and never had an issue until after we received it back from MHSRV (Service Dealer). We had an issue where the Gen was frying the circuit board on the auto transfer switch. We went through 4 auto transfer switches before we finally found out that Onan had an issue where the gen was sending too many volts to the auto transfer switch. So, they replaced a board on the generator to fix the issue. Now that we have the coach back this issue has started. Please see a list below of everything we and the dealer have already tried before you list your idea.

1. Turned off all breakers on the main breaker panel and shore GFCI does not trip.
2. Turn on Main 50 amp breaker and the shore GFCI trips
3. Disconnect the Line coming on from the generator to the auto transfer switch and the shore GFCI still trips
4. Tried a new power cord and the shore GFCI still trips
5. Tried a new Auto transfer switch and the shore GFCI still trips
6. Tried a new 50 amp breaker and the shore GFCI still trips
7. Tried a new 50 amp to 30 amp reducer and a new 30 amp to 115V reducer and shore GFCI still trips
8. Nothing is plugged into the outlets in the coach (which I assume are tied to the main 50 amp breaker since there is not a breaker labeled Receptacles)

So, basically the only thing connected to the shore pole 115 GFCI plug is the Main cord to the coach, the auto transfer switch and the main breaker

So, what are we missing? Thank you for your help, we are so frustrated at this point.
And those outlets that are not breakered including the coach GFCI's.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If the generator was running too many volts through the transfer switch, it could have fried the converter. I would look there.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
And those outlets that are not breakered including the coach GFCI's.
Hi Bubbles, so you are saying that the coach GFCI's are not breakered? How are they getting power?
Old 02-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
If the generator was running too many volts through the transfer switch, it could have fried the converter. I would look there.
Thanks aquaman, however, we unplugged the converter and inverter, so the only thing connected was what I listed above.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

When you turn on main 50 amp breaker, are the other breakers still off? If so, and the GFCI still trips, I would think something in the breaker panel is amiss. With the 50 amp on, and all breakers off, the only power going downstream of the breaker would be in the panel itself.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Have you tried replacing the GFCI?
Old 02-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #8

Quote:
When you turn on main 50 amp breaker, are the other breakers still off? If so, and the GFCI still trips, I would think something in the breaker panel is amiss. With the 50 amp on, and all breakers off, the only power going downstream of the breaker would be in the panel itself.

Quote:
Have you tried replacing the GFCI?

We thought the same thing about the panel. But the dealer told me it would be just a bad breaker, the entire panel couldn't go bad. :/

Regarding the gfci, are you referring to the shore gfci or coach gfci? If coach gfci no, we have not replaced that. If shore, we have tried multiple outlets and several different locations.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:31 AM   #9

Quote:
We thought the same thing about the panel. But the dealer told me it would be just a bad breaker, the entire panel couldn't go bad. :/

Regarding the gfci, are you referring to the shore gfci or coach gfci? If coach gfci no, we have not replaced that. If shore, we have tried multiple outlets and several different locations.

Have you tried a standard outlet w/o ground fault? (Shore power).
Since the wet spaces are protected, a supply GFCI is not required or recommended.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

I was talking about the shore power. It still remains that if all the breakers are off and all is fine, then flip the main on (with all breakers off), and the GFCI trips, there is something between the 50amp main and the other breakers that is tripping the GFCI. Assuming all the other breakers are good (I would test each), the panel is the only thing downstream of the main. Nothing should be tied to the main breaker except the panel itself. In a working coach, if the 50amp main was tripped or turned off, nothing in the coach would work. Does everything work with generator running? If so, have you checked for a "hot skin" condition?