Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2015, 03:02 PM   #1

2016 6.8L V10 Specs

Can someone clarify... I was curious about the thread on here about the 6-speed transmission on the 2016 F53, and so was looking thru the various Ford sites when I came across the Ford website (2016 Ford Stripped Chassis Work Trucks | View Full Engine Specifications | Ford.com) showing 2016 F53 specs, and the following was posted regarding the 3-valve V10.

F-53 / F-59
Engine type 6.8L Triton® 3 Valve V10
Engine electronics EEC-V computer
Displacement 415 CID
Horsepower (SAE net@rpm) 320 @ 4000
Torque (lb.-ft. @rpm) 460 @ 3000

Compression ratio 9.2:1
Bore x stroke (in.) 3.55x4.16
Main bearings 6-bearing
Valve lifters Hydraulic roller finger
Fuel delivery Sequential electronic fuel injection (SEFI)
Electronic throttle control (ETC) Std
Engine oil cooler Std
Recommended fuel Unleaded regular
Exhaust Stainless steel
Transmission type TorqShift® 6-speed automatic overdrive with Tow/Haul Mode
Engine block material Cast iron
Cylinder head material Aluminum

I had always read that the 3-valve V10 had 362HP and 457 Ft of torque. Is this just a stripped chassis vs. application tune issue, or is the engine being de-tuned for some reason?
BigMac8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:49 PM   #2

Very interesting. No idea on the answer but very curious.
Robert Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #3

What is also strange is that when you see the normal V10 3V HP it is ~362 HP at 4750 RPM. It would not surprise me that the HP could be 320 at 4000 RPM. But vendors almost always publish to PEAK SAE HP numbers, unless it is an industrial type engine that is governed to a certain RPM. AND I THINK that is the issue. On work trucks the ECU is most probably programmed with a rev limit of 4000 RPM. Pretty typical for some commercial vehicles. On our (RV's) engines the rev limit is set to over 5000. (At least, I know that I have had mine to 5000. That is just about the 2nd to 3rd gear shift point at WOT.. So there you go... (God, I am smart... )
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
EE, IBMer, Race Car Builder, now Retired.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
Happily Retired Member

2016 6.8L V10 Specs

Look up F550 super duty stripped chassis. I put a link on this site a few years ago. If you have F5D in your VIN# it is really a F550 SD chassis. Not sure if the F53 was the old chassis or if it is still in production.

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:19 PM   #5

This is the quote in the Ford site [URL="http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/strippedchassis/trim/f53classamotorhome/"]: "The 6.8L 3-valve V10 with 6-speed TorqShift® automatic is standard on the F-53 Motorhome Stripped Chassis and F-59 Commercial Stripped Chassis. The dependable 6.8L features a free-breathing 3-valve-per-cylinder induction system and generates an impressive 320 horsepower and 460 lb.-ft. of torque."

I think it's been detuned for 2016, possibly because of the better gearing with the 6-speed. That's interesting to me, though, because I run a 2004 2-valve V10 in my Class A with stock numbers of 310HP and 425 ft-lb of torque, except that I put a Banks Power Pak on it and did the Brazel's Ultra Tune which bumped those numbers appreciably and resulted in a much better performing motor. Only thing is that it's still mated to a 3-speed plus OD transmission. I just got back from a 5-week Western trip that included five significant climbs thru the mountains, and what I found was that even when running the engine (with comparable, or maybe better numbers that this 2016 version) in the right gear and at the supposed optimal RPMs for max HP, I still could not hold speed/RPMs and had to go down to 2nd gear (1st on one occasion) to make it up the hill. So if my performance/gearing combination didn't allow me to hold speed in these tough climbs, why would Ford detune the engine back to where I am with my 2004? It's all about managing RPMs in the hills, and it sounds like Ford is taking a step backwards by going to this lower HP rating. Is my logic flawed?
Mike
BigMac8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:19 AM   #6

It has not been "detuned" The Torque is the same. They simply set the rev limiter to a lower point in the ECU. Since HP =RPM x Torque / 5252 there will be the lower HP at the lower RPM. This is not unusual with commercial vehicles. (It keeps the workers from beating them up.) If the RV dealers don't change the RevLimit parameter, it is an easy change to do later. On my V10 (2014) the revlimit is beyond 5000 RPM.

This is only a "COMMERCIAL truck issue. NOT a V10 3v issue.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 10-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #7

Hp numbers are what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac8253 View Post
Can someone clarify... I was curious about the thread on here about the 6-speed transmission on the 2016 F53, and so was looking thru the various Ford sites when I came across the Ford website (2016 Ford Stripped Chassis Work Trucks | View Full Engine Specifications | Ford.com) showing 2016 F53 specs, and the following was posted regarding the 3-valve V10.

F-53 / F-59
Engine type 6.8L Triton® 3 Valve V10
Engine electronics EEC-V computer
Displacement 415 CID
Horsepower (SAE net@rpm) 320 @ 4000
Torque (lb.-ft. @rpm) 460 @ 3000

Compression ratio 9.2:1
Bore x stroke (in.) 3.55x4.16
Main bearings 6-bearing
Valve lifters Hydraulic roller finger
Fuel delivery Sequential electronic fuel injection (SEFI)
Electronic throttle control (ETC) Std
Engine oil cooler Std
Recommended fuel Unleaded regular
Exhaust Stainless steel
Transmission type TorqShift® 6-speed automatic overdrive with Tow/Haul Mode
Engine block material Cast iron
Cylinder head material Aluminum

I had always read that the 3-valve V10 had 362HP and 457 Ft of torque. Is this just a stripped chassis vs. application tune issue, or is the engine being de-tuned for some reason?
I did not look into anything but what was posted here, but my best guess is "Federal gas mileage and emissions rules" everyone needs to realize these numbers will keep getting tougher as time goes buy and for big vehicles like motorhomes the easiest way to meet those new laws is just take away power. Simple less power less fuel, less fuel better emissions!

Like i said did not look into this but i think it is the laws that are making all of us think twice. Either way Happy Camping to all.
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:03 PM   #8

Except: Fleet mileage laws do not apply to the commercial vehicles yet, and those numbers are commercial vehicle ratings. They did NOT reduce ANYTHING other than the top RPM limit. This won't change Emissions, or Mileage, (Unless you drive around at 4000+ RPM.) The specs above are all the same as any of the last few years of the V10 3V engine. They simply show the HP at 4000 RPM since they apparently limit it there for commercial vehicles. It is the ~368 at 5000 RPM... NOTHING has changed. Again take a look at HP = (Torque x RPM) / 5252.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR