Old 02-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #21
Would the CHF fix consist moving the link to the hole closer to the back of the bus or the hole toward thefront of the bus?

kenkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #22
It would be the second hole from the end of the sway bar. This for both front and rear.

Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:43 PM   #23
I added the pic.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:51 AM   #24
Has anyone tried adding a True on steering stabilizer, I know this isn't a CHEAP fix?
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:09 AM   #25
The steering stabilizer is meant to eliminate or vastly reduce wandering, and more importantly, maintain control in the event of front tire blowout.

The track bar and the steering stabilizer are my next mods. I will be doing them one at a time to try and ascertain each ones effect.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:23 AM   #26
Please excuse the long meandering post

Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Tried it all on my 2015 GT 364TS with only moderate results:track bar, front and rear Roadmaster anti-sway bars, steering stabilizer and CHF. The dealer undid the CHF because it made the OEM sway bar strike the frame. Still having to make constant steering input. Staring farther down the road helps a bit. Don't know if it makes much difference, but the early 2015s came with 19.5 inch wheels.
I do not fully buy in to the 40/60 rule. I want everybody to be absolutely clear that I do not doubt the Ford engineers statement, I just have trouble reconciling it.

Lets start with an Top 10 Automotive Mechanical Myths and Misconceptions concerning 50/50 weight distribution:

"4. Myth: The "ideal" weight distribution is 50/50: The vehicle has the same weight on both the front and rear axles.Truth: While most sport-oriented cars do have weight distributions close to 50/50, there's much more to proper handling than just distribution. A car with 50/50 weight distribution would handle poorly if most of the weight was at the ends of the car (i.e., ahead of the front axle and behind the rear axle).

Far more important than weight distribution is the location of the center of gravity and polar moment of inertia. (The center of gravity is where a giant could balance the car on one finger. Polar moment of inertia refers to whether the vehicle's weight is concentrated in one location — which makes for a responsive car — or spread throughout the vehicle.) Something else against 50/50 being the ideal weight distribution: Most open-wheel Formula-style racecars, which many people would hold up as being the best-handling type of racecars, have 60 percent or more of their weight on the rear tires."

Secondly, I would add that the F53 is used for a variety of package delivery applications and I have no idea how an engineer could expect a 40 / 60 weight distribution when loading and unloading packages.

Thirdly manufacturers today are recommending that you restore the front axles weight when using a weight distribution system. This means that in order for steering to be safe and effective, you need to make sure the front axle has at least the same amount of weight when hitched, as it did before it was hitched. I have a lot of experience with this from my previous bumper pull trailer.

Now you may correctly say that this has little to do with a Class A rig and you would be absolutely right. My point is that the 40/60 rule seems a little arbitrary and potentially irrelevant as long as your front axle has not been lightened in such a way as to affect steering performance and you have not significantly affected the polar moment of inertia.

I personally believe perfect balance is having the same percentage of axle capacity being used on each axle. Frankly a rear tag axle will always have much more capacity than the front. When I did this calculation I came up with the following:

Weight: 6,786 LBS
Axle GVWR: 8,000 LBS
% of GVWR 84.8% of capacity

Weight: 12,125 LBS
Axle GVWR: 15,000 LBS
% of GVWR 80.8% of capacity

Actual bias for reference:
Front: 35.8%
Rear: 64.2%

If you look at % of GVWR I am only 4% off and when you look at actual weights, I am 10% off, meaning I have to move 5% forward, which will probably happen when I load my gear. Personally, I don't really think this will affect or improve anything. I will try to calculate the polar moment of inertia and follow up.

I am not trying to start a huge debate here, I am just saying that I personally believe the 40/60 rule is not nuanced enough to be a hard and fast rule.

To finally try to answer your question:

I am very surprised you have wandering, especially with a steering stabilizer and all the upgrades you have done. I would suspect the wheel size MAY have something to do with that but I would love to hear from someone who upgraded the bigger tires and report back on the improvements, if any.

The really big question though is what amount of wandering is normal for an optimized rig. Did you see any improvement with all the upgrades you made? Do you drive on worn or bad roads that pull your rig this way and that? Do you frequently experience winds?

There are many factors to consider.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #27
Update: Just spoke to Ford

I called the number Iggy was kind enough to post and spoke to the tech at length.

As suspected, they told me that the 40/60 rule is a ROUGH rule of thumb. I then asked them if loading the axles to the same percentage of capacity was more accurate. They said yes, but also be sure to be mindful of corner weights.

Moral of the story:

Don't get hung up on trying to achieve 40/60 loading. Try to achieve equal % of axle capacity loading.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #28
Moral of my story. If your new coach tracks perfect and you can steer with one finger at 70mph don't waste time and money on mods. If you make all the mods and still don't track right you probably have a weight distribution problem, axle alignment problem or frame twist problem. Scrubbed tires or uneven wear patterns will eventually show up from frame, wheel, or axel alignment issues. A little extra weight on the front axel won't hurt anything. Too little weight will be unstable with or without mods. The chassis's from Ford get shipped stacked on top of each other at least three high and can get dinged up in transit or during the factory build at FR. Even if the resting weight distribution is only a little light on the front when parked, it will be magnified as the coach's long overhang bounces up and down. I keep my lightest stuff in the rear storage and heavy items between front and rear axels. I am only guessing but I suspect there are more handling issues with some models than others.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #29
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
...If your new coach tracks perfect and you can steer with one finger at 70mph don't waste time and money on mods...
I agree 100%. Problem is he has a tracking issue and is concerned about weight distribution.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:56 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
I felt quite at ease while driving my 364, but would like to stiffen it up some of the body roll. I don't have a problem with the steering, but would like to be a little more sure footed in corners, that's the only issue I'm looking into.

2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote