Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2016, 06:04 PM   #1

2016 Georgetown 364TSF Cheap handling fix

I took delivery of my 2016 364 TSF in Ottawa on a very cold January 29th. I drove home to Montreal in 30 KM head winds and many passing 18 wheelers.

I have to say that the 364 handled it with aplomb. I never even felt the 18 wheelers and the ride was very comfortable. While I did feel the winds effect, I never felt out of control or even perturbed. The 6 speed tranny and 2016 chassis was extremely easy and relaxing to drive.

The one negative is the rather copious amount of steering input needed. I am not sure if that was the wind or something else but it was a little tiring after some time.

I brought it to have the alignment checked before I stored it but was dead on so I had them do the CHF while I was there.

The rig immediately felt more 'sure footed'. The lean was drastically reduced but I can't say if the ride was harsher, it felt just as cozy to me. I certainly need a few more hours driving to say for sure and my wife will need to chime in, but so far so good.

The side to side rocking was also (and obviously) reduced and it did not seem to need as much steering input, but then agin, there was no wind. It could be that the rocking pulled the rig left and right as it swung back and forth. I am NOT an experienced Motorhome driver so it could be inexperience talking.

The only negative is that the sway bar bushings make a lot more noise in the cold. I plan on installing aftermarket poly bushings so that should help.

Next mod, trac bar and steering stabilizer. I will do one at a time and report back. Unfortunately that will only be around May.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have been thinking of doing the Roadmaster sway bars, front and back, but will wait until after our March trip to FL. I only have one trip under my belt so far, and that was just from OH to NC and back. Didn't have any problems, with the exception of 1 time, when a truck pulling tandems passed me doing about 85 on a rainy night and it felt like the back end let loose. I kept calm, reduced speed, held it straight, and pulled over at next rest area to empty my pants.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #3

Try a track bar before the sway bars. A friend of mine makes them for $285.00 USD, I will be putting one in as soon as it comes out in April.

By the way, the dealer told me to store it with jacks up but most people say down.

Whats the right way?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmike View Post
Try a track bar before the sway bars. A friend of mine makes them for $285.00 USD, I will be putting one in as soon as it comes out in April.

By the way, the dealer told me to store it with jacks up but most people say down.

Whats the right way?
I don't put my jacks down. But I do get it out and drive it around every couple weeks or so, just to rotate the tires a bit.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:20 PM   #5

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Kinda figure that my vehicles have spent their entire lives with the wheels down, it's not going to hurt my GTown.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #7

CHF

I have a 2014 335 and did the CHF it helped but I also bought the brackets to add steering stabilizer but not the 400 dollar stabilizer I bought the Monroe stabilizer shock for 50 put it on being careful to center it and have been using it for months with no problem and it helps with the constant steering corrections.
siskom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #8

OK, I give. What is a CHF.
TSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #9

Cheap Handling Fix
siskom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSman View Post
OK, I give. What is a CHF.
It is called cheap handling fix because all you do is move your sway bar suspension links to the second hole on your sway bar.

If you google CHF or 'cheap handling fix' there are numerous and detailed threads on it.

Nothing to buy and It is something you can do yourself.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #11

Thanks!! I should have figured it out.
TSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to carluv
CHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskom View Post
I have a 2014 335 and did the CHF it helped but I also bought the brackets to add steering stabilizer but not the 400 dollar stabilizer I bought the Monroe stabilizer shock for 50 put it on being careful to center it and have been using it for months with no problem and it helps with the constant steering corrections.
Did you do the back bar also? I did the front and put on a Roadmaster stabilizer with the spring. Helps some, but in wind doesn't help a lot. I have the same MH.
carluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #13

I did both but don't feel new sway bars will help enough to justify.

Wind and truck blow by will be helped a little by sway bars but the real problem is the rear of the coach moving from side to side on the frame.

A rear track bar is what you need. My buddy is starting production on a cheap one and I hope to install it by the end of the month.

I will let you know how well it works. You can always get one from Roadmaster or other vendor. I believe they go for about $500 USD.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #14

ModMike....will that fit all the F53 chassis sizes? Keep us posted on how it works for you. After our X-country, I was happy with our front Roadmaster steering stabilizer but occasionally on some roads, the rear sway would make itself noticeable. At $600+ that isn't an easy decision for a regular rear sway bar...I will be interested in your in use comments on the track bar.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:15 PM   #15

I am not sure. I believe it will fit everything 2009 an up, including my 2016 chassis.

I will be sure to update you but I am in Canada and in storage until march.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #16

Thanks Mike...no rush...no huge trips till summer... I may want to pick your brains on Quebec parks as well by then!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #17

Mont Tremblant or La Verendrie. PM me when it's time and I will give you site numbers.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #18

I have a 2012 360 and have not made any of the modifications. Tracking, handling and steering have all been excellent. I have to remind myself to keep both hands on the wheel in case of emergency. The only issue is sway on hard sharp turns and uneven driveway enterences at fuel stops. My solution is simply to go very slow when making sharp or very uneven turns. A typical semi passing me gives only a slight push but the occasional trucker blowing by at way over the speed limit can be annoying.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #19

Tried it all on my 2015 GT 364TS with only moderate results:track bar, front and rear Roadmaster anti-sway bars, steering stabilizer and CHF. The dealer undid the CHF because it made the OEM sway bar strike the frame. Still having to make constant steering input. Staring farther down the road helps a bit. Don't know if it makes much difference, but the early 2015s came with 19.5 inch wheels.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #20

Check out my other thread, detailed suspension talk there.

Tags
georgetown