Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by samething View Post
it cost me 15M$ for the repair!
Was that in Pesos from the 1980's?!?
Old 07-26-2018, 07:31 PM   #22

I certainly hope this is not the case with all of them.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:26 PM   #23

i am afraid so......there is no way around except if you can keep it protected from the uvs when not in use....
samething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:01 AM   #24

Speaking of protection....is there a partial cover made to only protect the roof? Is there UV protection that can be applied once or twice a year to help shield the roof?
Old 08-02-2018, 10:43 PM   #25

RV Armor
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:17 AM   #26

I believe my strategy will be to be vigilant with my roof and seams. Hopefully I will be able to notice issues before they become a problem. Maybe apply some sort of UV protectant on it once a year.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #27

Not a happy camper aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by excoppa View Post
In May of 2017 I purchased a brand new 2017 Georgetown 31l5. Due to my job, we have limited use. We are on our fourth trip, and just like the first three, nothing but problems.
Trip one, both A/C units dripping inside Coach. Trip two, same A/C issue, and water leaking from the roof near driver's window, and by sink. Recieved recall letter on roof issue.
Trip three, our Christmas break, all outlets not working and breaker keeps tripping. More water leaks, and A/C units still dripping unside.
February, brought in to have recall done, and repairs. A/C units not installed correctly. Short in electrical system causing outlets not to work. Recall done on roof. Now I am not the smartest man in the world, but the recall was to install metal stripping down both sides, yes, screwing it into the roof, then run caulking the whole length. Looks awful. Well, after two months in the shop we got it back.
We are now on our fourth camping trip and here we go again. Roof leaking so much, had to put Coach on a tilt so the A/C water would run off.
Have contacted or should I say, tried to contact Forest River, to no avail.
This thing is an absolute piece of junk!
Guess we shall see if they will stand by their product. Will let you all know!
I bought a 2017 gt5 31l5 got delivery in november 2017.Had to call dealer as I was getting a terrible vibration on steering wheel and the all front of the coach at 55 mph and above right out of the gate. The dealer recommend to take it to ford dealer and have wheels balanced and they will pickup the tab.Quess what I still have a terrible vibration at 60 & above took it back to dealer and said they could not find anything wrong that it was the characteristic of this vehicle. I took it to another ford dealer 2.5 hours away and they could not find anything that it was the characteristic of this type of vehicle.I had same issues with water leak on right front side window it was in dealer for 2.5 months-went to pick up after repairs notice water marks on inside of windshield another leak had to reschedule to bring it back in. Are there any Georgetown out there with a vibration after 60 mph and above to 70 mph gets really bad. I also had problem with refrigerator right door swing open over bumps & turns one time pantry shelfs flew open and hit door scratching 7 denting door finish-the top section pantry had only one door catch I installed a second one. The refrig door had up & down play of 1/4 inch the catch was just barely locking door. Now in hot summer weather the front ac leaks inside.
jray378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #28

I have a 2018 31l5 and have just returned from the ford dealer due to a vibration in the front end that occurs about 65mph. They checked it all out and rebalanced the front tires. I was told they put on about 5 ozs on each tire. The stretch of freeway between the dealer and home is fairly rough so I'm not sure how much the balancing helped. It is interesting to hear that others have the same issues. Please keep me informed as to what a fix for the vibration is.
Swprdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by excoppa View Post
In May of 2017 I purchased a brand new 2017 Georgetown 31l5. Due to my job, we have limited use. We are on our fourth trip, and just like the first three, nothing but problems.
Trip one, both A/C units dripping inside Coach. Trip two, same A/C issue, and water leaking from the roof near driver's window, and by sink. Recieved recall letter on roof issue.
Trip three, our Christmas break, all outlets not working and breaker keeps tripping. More water leaks, and A/C units still dripping unside.
February, brought in to have recall done, and repairs. A/C units not installed correctly. Short in electrical system causing outlets not to work. Recall done on roof. Now I am not the smartest man in the world, but the recall was to install metal stripping down both sides, yes, screwing it into the roof, then run caulking the whole length. Looks awful. Well, after two months in the shop we got it back.
We are now on our fourth camping trip and here we go again. Roof leaking so much, had to put Coach on a tilt so the A/C water would run off.
Have contacted or should I say, tried to contact Forest River, to no avail.
This thing is an absolute piece of junk!
Guess we shall see if they will stand by their product. Will let you all know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swprdog View Post
I have a 2018 31l5 and have just returned from the ford dealer due to a vibration in the front end that occurs about 65mph. They checked it all out and rebalanced the front tires. I was told they put on about 5 ozs on each tire. The stretch of freeway between the dealer and home is fairly rough so I'm not sure how much the balancing helped. It is interesting to hear that others have the same issues. Please keep me informed as to what a fix for the vibration is.
I have a 2017 Georgtown 31l5 series with same problem took it to 2 ford dealers and they could not find the problem they both said it was characteristic of this type of vehicle mind you I am an automotive tech and there is something definetly out of balance something is wrong here.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:52 AM   #30

My 2017 31B3 also vibrates at about 61 MPH. After purchased it in Feb it was very noticeable. I took it to a private big truck alignment shop for balancing. It got better but is still there.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #31

It must be a problem with putting a large body on this frame. Even a slight imbalance is amplified. Would reshocking help? I haven't had a chance to give it a fair test drive due to rain and wind but it sounds like it's going to be the same. One reason I bought new was to not have to work on things constantly...oh well.
Swprdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:47 PM   #32

I had same problem with vibration on my class C and on my new FR3. Front tire not out of balance, out of round. Raise front wheels of ground and rotate you may find the wheel out of round, rotate high side of wheel to bottom, lower back on ground then loosen lug nuts a little, Rim will move slightly on hub. You will hear it move, retourque nuts. Worked for me
Woodsyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #33

I have a 2017 32L5.

At 65 or even at 70 mph I have absolutely NO vibration.

Unrelated to your problem, but still a handling issue: To improve the handling, the wandering all over the road, I increased the tire pressure from the recommended 92 psi to 98 ps (tires are rated at 110 psi).

I believe your Ford mechanics that say your issue is characteristic of the chassis are just flat not telling you the truth. What they really meant was, "Duh, I don't know."

I recommend you get in touch with FORD directly and ask for help.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #34

I have to agree with Jim. I have 8500 miles on my 2017 31L5 and it rides great and at 70 mph no vibration. All of the tires are set a 90 psi as recommended by our Goodyear Truck Tire Center. I also do not tow a vehicle.

If you have a truck tire center around might be worth you time to check with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
I have a 2017 32L5.

At 65 or even at 70 mph I have absolutely NO vibration.

Unrelated to your problem, but still a handling issue: To improve the handling, the wandering all over the road, I increased the tire pressure from the recommended 92 psi to 98 ps (tires are rated at 110 psi).

I believe your Ford mechanics that say your issue is characteristic of the chassis are just flat not telling you the truth. What they really meant was, "Duh, I don't know."

I recommend you get in touch with FORD directly and ask for help.
dolfan1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #35

Not a happy camper aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan1981 View Post
I have to agree with Jim. I have 8500 miles on my 2017 31L5 and it rides great and at 70 mph no vibration. All of the tires are set a 90 psi as recommended by our Goodyear Truck Tire Center. I also do not tow a vehicle.

If you have a truck tire center around might be worth you time to check with them.
thanks again for your comments

After visiting another ford dealer and charging me 154.00 dollars for multipoint check and telling me this is the characteristic of this type of vehicle for the second time !bull!. I did call ford spoke to a technical assistant and found out that my problem is the tires he said that my motorhome was sitting from november 2016 to october 2017 anything over six months is not good on tires sitting for long periods of time with heavyload on them.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #36
Kanadian Kamper

jray....

Just asking, but, how the he** would a Ford rep know how long the RV was sitting?

Agreed, it’s not a good thing to have tires sit an incredibly long time on any vehicle, but the Ford rep has no idea what goes on with an F53 chassis and it’s tires after they release it from the assembly building. Only an RV dealership might now how long a unit has sat around and not moved.....but I’m not sure they’d even tell you truthfully.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #37

I believe a Ford rep could find out if the unit had ever been titled. The VIN number tells a lot about a vehicle and Ford would have that information if for nothing else than warranty issues.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #38

Check with a truck center that does tire working ask them if they can re-round a tire (shave it). M class A had a vibration in the front, took it to get balanced, they found the tire slightly out of round. They re-rounded and balanced both steer tires and she is smooth running now. Cost was about $120 and change.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #39

Ford rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
jray....

Just asking, but, how the he** would a Ford rep know how long the RV was sitting?

Agreed, it’s not a good thing to have tires sit an incredibly long time on any vehicle, but the Ford rep has no idea what goes on with an F53 chassis and it’s tires after they release it from the assembly building. Only an RV dealership might now how long a unit has sat around and not moved.....but I’m not sure they’d even tell you truthfully.
They know by vin numbers when vehicles are delivered to dealers. Just had my tires replaced by goodyear and still vibrating at 60mph & above-came back to to tire dealer now they are telling me rims are out of round-contacted ford motorhome division they said wheels maybe covered under ford chassis warranty, they gave me a couple of ford dealers 50 t0 60 miles from me so I call them and they did not want to service my unit one of them told me they only do oil changes on them and the other dealer told me to take the unit back to where I purchased if from and let them take it to their ford people they deal with. Would you imagine that ford dealers does not want to get involved with that kind of units placed on a ford chassis.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jray378 View Post
They know by vin numbers when vehicles are delivered to dealers. Just had my tires replaced by goodyear and still vibrating at 60mph & above-came back to to tire dealer now they are telling me rims are out of round-contacted ford motorhome division they said wheels maybe covered under ford chassis warranty, they gave me a couple of ford dealers 50 t0 60 miles from me so I call them and they did not want to service my unit one of them told me they only do oil changes on them and the other dealer told me to take the unit back to where I purchased if from and let them take it to their ford people they deal with. Would you imagine that ford dealers does not want to get involved with that kind of units placed on a ford chassis.
What number for ford did you contact them at. I took my MH to the dealer in April and included vibration as an issue. Went to pick it up 3 weeks later. The dealer told me they contacted the local Ford dealer and were told that they cant balance MH tires and basically left it up to me to contact Ford. I took it to a local truck shop and paid for balancing out of pocket. It got a little better but still vibrates. Would be great to have someone besides me take ownership of the problem.

Tags
georgetown