Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
Road Warrior

2018 Georgetown 369 XL 12 volt issue

I think I have blown a fuse in my HDTV antennae and outdoor stereo that's below the outdoor TV. I looked at the 12 volt fuse box that aft in the bedroom but saw no fuses labeled for either of them. I called the dealer but we are away on an outing and he said these are probably on the same fuse and definitely not directly connected to the battery so it should have a fuse somewhere. Does anyone have any idea where there may be another fuse bank or where I might find it?

2015 Fleetwood Expedition Pusher
Towing a VW Beetle Convertible
mikedawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedawson View Post
I think I have blown a fuse in my HDTV antennae and outdoor stereo that's below the outdoor TV. I looked at the 12 volt fuse box that aft in the bedroom but saw no fuses labeled for either of them. I called the dealer but we are away on an outing and he said these are probably on the same fuse and definitely not directly connected to the battery so it should have a fuse somewhere. Does anyone have any idea where there may be another fuse bank or where I might find it?
Don't have that model but on my 2017 GT3 in the middle over head cabinet where my media selector is located I have a coax plate with an on/off button that is hard to see because its the same color as the plate. Took me a while to find it when my antenna booster would not power on. Maybe your outside radio is tied to that and it is off. There could also be an in line fuse located behind the plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-10_8-03-57.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	194319  
Old 01-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
Don't have that model but on my 2017 GT3 in the middle over head cabinet where my media selector is located I have a coax plate with an on/off button that is hard to see because its the same color as the plate. Took me a while to find it when my antenna booster would not power on. Maybe your outside radio is tied to that and it is off. There could also be an in line fuse located behind the plate.
Thank you so much, this is exactly what was wrong....these switches are power boosters for the old fashioned twist up TV antenna's and new HDTV antenna's do not need these as they have one built in hence the little lights that come on as you turn the knob on the control unit. There is absolutely no reason to run the HDTV power through one of these power boosters which is why I had no idea to look for one. I had to move my ant/cable/sat switch box to see it with my flashlight and like yours was a brown plate on a brown cabinet making it impossible to see till I move that switch box and used a flashlight....unbeleiveable bad design and something that is totally not required.....ugh...:

Old 01-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Thank you so much, this is exactly what was wrong....these switches are power boosters for the old fashioned twist up TV antenna's and new HDTV antenna's do not need these as they have one built in hence the little lights that come on as you turn the knob on the control unit. There is absolutely no reason to run the HDTV power through one of these power boosters which is why I had no idea to look for one. I had to move my ant/cable/sat switch box to see it with my flashlight and like yours was a brown plate on a brown cabinet making it impossible to see till I move that switch box and used a flashlight....unbeleiveable bad design and something that is totally not required.....ugh...:
Actually.... behind the wall plate is NOT a 'power booster' (as you called it) nor is it an amplifier.

It is a power SUPPLY. It sends 12v power to the amplifier which is built into the crank up style antenna or in your case it simply feeds power to the switch in the ceiling mounted unit you have in place of of the crank up one. Turn your ceiling mounted unit on and the push the button on/off at the wall plate to verify.

It also is a coax cable switch and electronically switches inputs depending on whether the button is on or off.

Depending on how your rig is wired, you may need to turn it on/off to switch between different inputs such as antenna or cable.

While you might feel it totally not required, I bet they are using the same wall plate/power supply for many different models and it is simply wired to do the desired job, however it is installed.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Actually.... behind the wall plate is NOT a 'power booster' (as you called it) nor is it an amplifier.

It is a power SUPPLY. It sends 12v power to the amplifier which is built into the crank up style antenna or in your case it simply feeds power to the switch in the ceiling mounted unit you have in place of of the crank up one. Turn your ceiling mounted unit on and the push the button on/off at the wall plate to verify.

It also is a coax cable switch and electronically switches inputs depending on whether the button is on or off.

Depending on how your rig is wired, you may need to turn it on/off to switch between different inputs such as antenna or cable.

While you might feel it totally not required, I bet they are using the same wall plate/power supply for many different models and it is simply wired to do the desired job, however it is installed.
Semantics aside it is a useless piece of equipment designed to be used for the old fashioned TV antenna's which to my knowledge has not been installed on any RV's for the last 3 years or so, probably longer than that, the HDTV ant could/should be powered like any other 12 volt system either through the 12 volt fuse panel or an inline fuse to the battery, preferably the former.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I turn the power off at the antenna after I tune it, and there’s no difference in picture. Those blue lights are bright.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Semantics aside it is a useless piece of equipment designed to be used for the old fashioned TV antenna's which to my knowledge has not been installed on any RV's for the last 3 years or so, probably longer than that, the HDTV ant could/should be powered like any other 12 volt system either through the 12 volt fuse panel or an inline fuse to the battery, preferably the former.
As said the booster (amplifier) is in the antenna (just like the crank up antenna/batwing) but also the booster panel acts as a splitter for most installs. Your coach has a source (ant/cable/sat) select switch panel and booster off is not required for you to watch park cable input but without a source select panel the booster would need to be off. In your coach you could hard wire the antenna 12 volt input but that would mean it is continuously powered. Would you install a switch to turn it off? In your coach the standard booster panel is used to allow removing the 12 volts from the antenna when not in use. I believe there is an inline fuse from the battery to the booster panel in your coach. Mine is powered from a fuse in the Battery Control Center box. HDTV antenna?? The batwing is an HDTV antenna. My old TV antenna up in the attic is an HDTV antenna.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #8
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
As said the booster (amplifier) is in the antenna (just like the crank up antenna/batwing) but also the booster panel acts as a splitter for most installs. Your coach has a source (ant/cable/sat) select switch panel and booster off is not required for you to watch park cable input but without a source select panel the booster does need to be off. In your coach you could hard wire the antenna 12 volt input but that would mean it is continuously powered. Would you install a switch to turn it off? In your coach the standard booster panel is used to allow removing the 12 volts from the antenna when not in use. I believe there is an inline fuse from the battery to the booster panel in your coach. Mine is powered from a fuse in the Battery Control Center box.
Actually it is not, there is an on/off switch right on the control as well as my previous one I retrofitted on my previous rig a 2001 pusher. In fact I have seen dozens of these and they all have had on/off switches. So as I stated this is a totally useless piece of equipment that only adds to confusion should it somehow get turned off as mine and the poster above who gave me the answer.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Why not remove it if it bothers you so?
Geez....

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, georgetown