Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #1

2019 Georgetown GT7 dash a/c

We just purchased a new 2019 Georgetown GT7. The dash a/c blows slightly cool air but not cold. Took it to the Ford dealer for repairs. After having it for 8 weeks and replacing multiple Part and consulting with Evans Tempcon they told us it is within factory specifications of 65deg. When driving it home it is more like 70-75 degrees blowing from the vent. It is 70 when setting still and 75 while moving. Has anyone else experienced this problem? We have owned a number of class A motor homes and realize the dash a/c will not cool the cab but the air coming out should be cooler than 70. Btw we live in Florida and the outside temp was 88.
Swbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #2

Ours is the same way. When we are heading west in the later afternoon when it's 90° I'm usually sweating my butt off. I don't know if it's because the air return has to travel so far to get to the vent. My experiences the longer we have been driving(hotter theengine gets) the warmer the air.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:11 PM   #3

My 2018 as well.
mdalb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #4

Inefficient dash AC has always been a problem with F53 / E450 by Ford... We run the Coach AC if we are expecting higher temperatures...

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Walter Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:26 PM   #5

I have spent a lot of time trying to get the dash air colder. But after recharging my system several times and insulating the evaporater coil compartment which is located in the engine compartment (most cars and trucks the evaporator coil is located in the cabin)the lowest temperature I was able to get was 56 degrees. As the outside temperature increased so would the temperature of the vents. I have concluded the ford dash AC is a very poor design. On the ford f53 the condensor coil is located behind the transmission coils so this reduces the amount of heat removal from the system. There is not much that can be done to get colder air without installing a larger condensor coil. Now I run the generator and roof top AC unit when its neccessary.
jfp2673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Yeah....
I’ve conceded the A/C efficiency in these Ford F53 motorhomes is pretty poor...and other brands of motorhomes (Thor, Winnebago, Coachmen etc) all report the same.

Aside from running the roof air conditioners when really needed, here was my solution for getting bettter results from the dash air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8B83E52F-D46E-43A0-9065-FBEDF60F303B.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	186630   Click image for larger version

Name:	FAF75D5A-16F5-4E28-8D30-361FBF7858C1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	186631   Click image for larger version

Name:	DD29335F-C6E5-488C-B279-E767CAE4F7BE.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	186632  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #7

Dash AC Problems

Wow, I,ve been fighting this very problem for 3 years. I just had my 2015 Georgetown to the factory in Elkhart, ID . There is another posting on this site with all my complaints. I don't know how to direct you there however. Sorry.

However: here is what they did. Evacuated the system of 134a, all the oil and held a vacuum on it for a time. They then replaced the oil and freon to 2.75 LBS as required by the EvensTemp Con Bulletin. Improvement over the old charge was about zero (0) after driving a few miles. Go figure.

Please look up my other posts and send me a reply. I'll be glad to converse further as this issue really TICKS me off.
weatherguru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #8

Thanks for all the information from everyone. I absolutely love this coach but the dash a/c is unbearable and according to the Ford dealer it is operating within Evans Tempcon's specification. 65 degrees from the vent is sad. I do not believe it is a Ford problem. The dash a/c components are from Forest River and Ford. It becomes tricky when it comes to warranty repairs. Some parts are covered under Forest River warranty and some parts come under Ford warranty. The Ford dealer had our motorhome for 8 WEEKS and the sad thing is ....it is no better. I think it is a defective design form either Evans Tempcon or Forest River. We had a Newmar Scotsdale previously on the same Ford chassis and the dash a/c worked beautifully. Maybe techs from Forest River should visit Newmar to learn how to design a proper ac system. Sorry for the rant I am just really frustrated with the situation. We have owned several class A motorhomes and have never encountered this problem. But from the posts here and researching the problem apparently it is a common problem. I guess we have been lucky in the past.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #9

You had a Newmar -- but was it a pusher or Gas? That is a big difference.

I know the Newmar my sister had -- it was just as bad as my Georgetown in regards to the dash air (same F53 chassis).

It really is hard to believe that there is this much of an issue with getting these things to blow cold air, i really think they just figure out the most simple excuse and give it.

I end up running the generator and aim one of the roof A/C vents down on me -- not a huge amount of cool, but that combined with the "cool" (okay, being nice with that word) air from the dash, i don't sweat too bad. Running both A/C's of the genny is about the only way I have found to keep the coach reasonable -- well, at least keep the passengers from #$$@% the whole time.

Someday Ford or someone will belly up and take responsibility for a very poorly engineered system and maybe, just maybe fix it.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #10

It was a gas 2005 Newmar Scottsdale on a F53 Ford chassis. I don’t know what the temp of the air coming from the vent was... but it was cool enough to be comfortable. Maybe it is more of an issue on newer motor homes than old. Maybe mfg are cutting corners on newer models. Wold not surprise me.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swbm View Post
We just purchased a new 2019 Georgetown GT7. The dash a/c blows slightly cool air but not cold. Took it to the Ford dealer for repairs. After having it for 8 weeks and replacing multiple Part and consulting with Evans Tempcon they told us it is within factory specifications of 65deg. When driving it home it is more like 70-75 degrees blowing from the vent. It is 70 when setting still and 75 while moving. Has anyone else experienced this problem? We have owned a number of class A motor homes and realize the dash a/c will not cool the cab but the air coming out should be cooler than 70. Btw we live in Florida and the outside temp was 88.
Would putting a curtain behind the cockpit help? If the air is escaping into the camper just the dash a/c might not be enough in a larger rig.
AjayLovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:28 AM   #12

It's interesting to read this thread. One of the things I hoped for in a new motorhome was better dash A/C. The A/C in our Sprinter based class C is sorta . . meh. You have to crank it way down and put it on recirc (which Mercedes decides to turn off after about 15 minutes) to get it kinda cool in the cab area. Then the thermostat is so sensitive it goes from cold to heat in a 1/8".

When we first started looking at Georgetowns we were at a dealer on a hot day and he cranked up the engine and put the dash air on for me. I actually had to move out of the cab area because it got cold. Perhaps that was just a "good one". Time will tell I guess.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #13
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayLovel View Post
Would putting a curtain behind the cockpit help? If the air is escaping into the camper just the dash a/c might not be enough in a larger rig.
Like my posting #6?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:44 AM   #14

The curtain makes it worse. Traps all the heat from the windshield and dog house up front.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #15

2017 it’s the same. I run the front AC and open the dump flap and I’m nice and cool. Dash AC picks up the air from the front roof AC and cools it a little more and blows it right at you.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:27 AM   #16

Had the same issue with 2018 Georgetown 31L5. Took it to a Ford dealer. They had it for 4 days which included a weekend. Blows colder but still not as cold as I’d like. Not sure where you live but I took mine to a dealer in Quakertown,Pa. They were very good.
BirdeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #17

I believe the problem with MY air conditioner is that the vent hoses are not insulated and the heat under the dash eats up the cool before it gets to the driver. DW is comfy on her side.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown