Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 09:42 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy View Post
Why spare tires don't come with most Class A's always intrigued me. I have an '04 Cross Coutry on a Freightliner chassis. There was enough room between the rails and behind the fuel tank to mount "L" shaped steel bars to nest a full size mounted wheel in between. It sure did come in handy last year as a rear inner tire had a blowout. I called roadside and swiftly they arrived to our aid. The roadside tech told me that we saved a lot of time by having a complete wheel setup as its not always convenient to acquire our particular tire size and wheel should the wheel been damaged after the blowout. He told me that although you have a large truck tire but the actual rim/wheel is not as easily acquired being slightly different dimension than the wheels that are typically on large tractor trailers or town equipment .
So locating the correct wheel sometimes can delay getting you back on to your travels.
No spare for Class-A for a variety of reasons. Liability is a major factor. The theory as I understand it is that owners do not have tools, strength or training to handle 200# wheel & tire. How can you safely jack the axle up? How do you properly torque the lug nuts on if you manage to get them off. How do you ensure proper inflation of spare? Cost is also a factor. Even with Class-A at $200k to $500k and up expecting the owner to call road service is the plan. This works except when the RV mfg selects an odd size tire which can cause hours or days of delay for service folk to find a replacement.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
No spare for Class-A for a variety of reasons. Liability is a major factor. The theory as I understand it is that owners do not have tools, strength or training to handle 200# wheel & tire. How can you safely jack the axle up? How do you properly torque the lug nuts on if you manage to get them off. How do you ensure proper inflation of spare? Cost is also a factor. Even with Class-A at $200k to $500k and up expecting the owner to call road service is the plan. This works except when the RV mfg selects an odd size tire which can cause hours or days of delay for service folk to find a replacement.
Liability can certainly be the reason for manufacturers not providing spares. Hence the call to roadside assistance to come to the rescue. You are totally correct that these individuals have the proper tools and know how to change the tire safely.
Although for the sake of expediency and road safety having the spare available gets the rig moving along the highway and off the shoulder more swiftly.
To all...safe travels .
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Biggest problem with 22.5 tires is the lug nuts. You carry an air wrench capable of over 600 ft lb torque?? It won't come off easy.
Another good point. They DO make a geared wrench that will loosen, and tighten those lug nuts. We always carried a spare 22,5 and sometimes two on the roof of our Bluebird. We had a davit and cable winch to get them up and down. But then, that was in the days of steel body coaches. And yup, I've changed an inner on US1 coming out of the Keys. Lift the coach most of the way on its jacks, then use a bottle jack to get the tires off the ground.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:33 AM   #24

I carry a spare tire and wheel fully inflated. I have a 2007 Georgetown 373ds and I have a trunk in the rear of the coach that is specifically for a spare. It was a bear getting it in there. I had to use 6' 2x8 boards and walk it up to slide it in. I have been on the Olympia peninsula in Washington state and have experienced the loss of Phone signal.
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
I carry a spare tire and wheel fully inflated. I have a 2007 Georgetown 373ds and I have a trunk in the rear of the coach that is specifically for a spare. It was a bear getting it in there. I had to use 6' 2x8 boards and walk it up to slide it in. I have been on the Olympia peninsula in Washington state and have experienced the loss of Phone signal.
I just check with COACH-NET, their ROADSIDE Assistance would cost $600 per 5 years and the TIRE PROTECTION cost $900 per 5 years.

While it all sound good, but even with the TIRE PROTECTION, it subject to the tire availability. If they have to order the tire to get me going, it may take between 2 to 4 days lost the use of my RV or delay my arrival to the destination. If you have the spare tire, then it is just the matter of switching out the tire out and I am on my way, only lost few hours of waiting for service.

Even though tire blowout may not be a normal/regular event, it will happen sooner or later, especially if you are on your way to Alaska on the Alaskan/Canadian Hwy.

I did some poking around and found the Roadmaster Tire carrier for Class A. This gadget cost about $600 bucks, and the full tire and rim may cost me another $1000, which total around $1600 give or take. I could have this instead of buying the TIRE PROTECTION from COACH-NET. The only disadvantage is it will take away the weight allowance on my cargo depending on how heavy the spare tire and rim would be.

Another thing, I am assuming that the ROADSIDE ASSISTANT will help me to put on my spare tire to the coach, which I think they would.

What do you think?

Here is the link to the RoadMaster Tire Carrier Video.
Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier - By Roadmaster | HitchSource.com
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #26

Also,

Does anyone know what is the weight of the 22.5 wheel including tire and rim? My guess was around 300 lbs, but not sure.

It looks to me that all 6 wheels including front and rear wheels are the same style of rim. Is this correct,

I have not taken one off, only by observation, they look the same with the exception of the outside rear wheels were turned inside out or other way around.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:28 AM   #27

If you have polished aluminum rims, the inner rear wheels will be steel. Makes sense you never see them. If I was ever going to carry a spare I would buy the steel wheel rim, a little cheaper.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:32 AM   #28

[QUOTE=tamdle;1274494]Also,

Does anyone know what is the weight of the 22.5 wheel including tire and rim? My guess was around 300 lbs, but not sure.

QUOTE]

It's been a loooooong time since I mounted and dismounted one, but I'm thinking closer to 200.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #29

[QUOTE=Springerdad;1275283]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
Also,

QUOTE]

It's been a loooooong time since I mounted and dismounted one, but I'm thinking closer to 200.
Thanks David and Vicki for the tire information.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #30

On my Motor home I do have steel wheels on the inside rear wheels. I went to a junkyard and found a burned out motor home that still had the rear wheels and tires in good shape. I was replacing the front steer tires on mine and saved one of them for a spare. I got the steel wheel from the junkyard for $50.00. They wanted to sell me the tire also but I decided that I did not want it because it was much older than what I had on the front. It cost them more in labor to remove the tire and wheel assembly and dismount the tire than what they quoted at $50.00. I suggest you get a steel wheel because it will be able to be used in any wheel position if needed. The aluminum wheels are thicker and you may not be able to mount 2 aluminum wheels together due to the wheel stud length. Hope this helps.
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
On my Motor home I do have steel wheels on the inside rear wheels. I went to a junkyard and found a burned out motor home that still had the rear wheels and tires in good shape. I was replacing the front steer tires on mine and saved one of them for a spare. I got the steel wheel from the junkyard for $50.00. They wanted to sell me the tire also but I decided that I did not want it because it was much older than what I had on the front. It cost them more in labor to remove the tire and wheel assembly and dismount the tire than what they quoted at $50.00. I suggest you get a steel wheel because it will be able to be used in any wheel position if needed. The aluminum wheels are thicker and you may not be able to mount 2 aluminum wheels together due to the wheel stud length. Hope this helps.
That makes sense. Thank Paul!

Tags
class a, tire