Old 07-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #1

22.5 Class A Spare Tire

I could not image why I should have a spare tire for my GT XL 352QS. If I have a flat or blow-out that could not be fixed by one, two or three of "fix flat" cans, I would leave the job to the "roadside assistance". However, hypothetically, if I am boondocking in any of BLM or National Park, and run into a flat on a rough road and could not fix with the "fix flat", and it is too far for any roadside assistance, then maybe the spare tire would save me... ideally. But maybe I am too old for that stuff.

What would you do in that case?

Has anyone been in that situation described above, or carry a space "22.5 tire" for their class A, just in case of emergency, or have you ever change one of that humungous tire yourself before? Or could we even do it at all.

Comment and input is greatly appreciated.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2016 Nights Camping - 6 nights and 2 shake down and love it...
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #2

My Class A had a complete spare mounted under the rear area (gaser) My one blowout I had Road side take care of, some folks carry just the carcass and not a complete tire to save weight and have roadside assistance do the changing. My trucker friends all do this.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I personally would never put "Fix-a-flat" in any of my tires. Would sit by the road and wait for roadside assistance.
2015 - 41
2016 - 81
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
My Class A had a complete spare mounted under the rear area (gaser) My one blowout I had Road side take care of, some folks carry just the carcass and not a complete tire to save weight and have roadside assistance do the changing. My trucker friends all do this.
My GT XL 352QS does not equip with any of the spare tire carrier, therefore no spare tire. If I need a spare tire, then I have to retrofit a tire carrier for that matter.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Old 07-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I personally would never put "Fix-a-flat" in any of my tires. Would sit by the road and wait for roadside assistance.
In an ideal situation, yes, I would do the same, waiting for the "roadside assistance", because that is I am paying for.

However, I am just thinking far ahead of a scenario that when I am in a remote area such as BLM or National Park or certain stretch of the Alaskan highway which does not have cell phone signal or too far for a roadside assistance to come, "Fix-a-fat" may not be a right choice, but if it is necessary, it may be the only choice. If that fail too, then spare tire or not is the debatable subject.

The spare tire is not only heavy, taking away the load allowance for the RV, but also heavy for some folks to handle it as well. That is why I ask the question to see that how some experienced RVers would handle the emergency situation like this.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Old 07-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
I could not image why I should have a spare tire for my GT XL 352QS. If I have a flat or blow-out that could not be fixed by one, two or three of "fix flat" cans, I would leave the job to the "roadside assistance". However, hypothetically, if I am boondocking in any of BLM or National Park, and run into a flat on a rough road and could not fix with the "fix flat", and it is too far for any roadside assistance, then maybe the spare tire would save me... ideally. But maybe I am too old for that stuff.

What would you do in that case?

Has anyone been in that situation described above, or carry a space "22.5 tire" for their class A, just in case of emergency, or have you ever change one of that humungous tire yourself before? Or could we even do it at all.

Comment and input is greatly appreciated.

You might find this video informative.

If you run a TPMS and stop before damaging the tire it may be repairable but using "Fix-A-Flat" can 1. make the tire non-repairable and/or 2 void any tire warranty.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

About the only way fix a flat is going to work is if you were already stopped and noticed your tire was flat. If you're rolling the chances are great that it will pop the bead and or be shredded. That aside, the thought of jacking up an 11 ton motorhome on the side of the road, with most likely a bottle jack, does not sound like my idea of fun, not to mention lifting a couple hundred pounds of tire and rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 - 41
2016 - 81
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #8

If the tire is not destroyed I have used the plug system and my pump to get us to a tire shop but last time we had a tire shop come out and fix the tire on the road.. Had us going with horses in 45 minutes and they replace both of the duallys on the one side of our class A by hand.. Very impressed
Old 07-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
Commercial Member

If you have lost more than 20% of your air the tire is technically "Flat" and should never be driven on. If you have a steel body tire (22.5) running flat can fail the steel body cord and re-inflating can result in explosion (check You tube "exploding tire".) So you should never do more than add a few psi to your tire unless it is in safety cage or chained down and you use a LOOOONG hose.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #10

lug nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
If you have lost more than 20% of your air the tire is technically "Flat" and should never be driven on. If you have a steel body tire (22.5) running flat can fail the steel body cord and re-inflating can result in explosion (check You tube "exploding tire".) So you should never do more than add a few psi to your tire unless it is in safety cage or chained down and you use a LOOOONG hose.
Biggest problem with 22.5 tires is the lug nuts. You carry an air wrench capable of over 600 ft lb torque?? It won't come off easy.

Tags
class a, tire