Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #1

2nd year warranty from Forest River

Just purchased a 2014 new 377ts and I was wandering if they offer this 2nd year warranty for motorhomes

kdcamper

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #2

Not for Motor Homes........
Old 12-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #3

That's just wrong I think so I just might to have to buy what our dealer has to offer

Old 12-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
WDK

You probably did not want to spend the money or perhaps it was not offered but after the manufactures warranty is up, I bought a 7 year extended warranty bow to stern for just under $1200 dollars and I will make sure I use it.
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #5

Do you have info on the company for your 7 yr warranty??
I would like to look into this type of extened warranty,
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
WDK

I will get it from my wife and post.....she spends the money.....hehe.....if I remember though we had to buy it at purchase but I am sure there are other options.

WDK
Old 12-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #7

Thank you.
Will wait for your post.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #8

Check Cornerstone in NC. Do not buy it during your first year unless it will cost more if you buy after. You will lose the 1st. year and only really be buying a 6 year for the cost of 7 years. It will not kick in until after your warranty with FR is over. A lot of dealers will reduce the deductible if you use them. My dealer will charge me 50.00 instead of the 100.00 that I have, if they do the work. Hope that helps you a little.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
WDK

We have Portfolio and it does not kick in until after our first year with FR and the warranty is 7 years from that date good at any certified RV service company nation wide.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
Tim & Lisa Trempert

The Ford chassis has a factory 36k mile 3 year "bumper to bumper" which covers the chassis, steering, suspension, motor, etc. There is also the 5 year power train warranty. Bottom line, you'd have to replace a lot of other stuff to pay for an extended warranty. I'd wait until year 4 or 6 and then buy a warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #11
WDK

I assume you have done this but though you are right about the power train, suspension and motor etc that does not seem to be good advice. For one thing, it will be much harder to get a company to insure you in years 4, 5, and 6 just as would be for any auto without charging an arm and a leg for it and there are plenty of other costly items that can go bad on your RV like the roof, the air conditioners, water damage from crimp gone bad in one of your hoses.....after the first couple of years a well maintained motor and drive train are the least of my worries.

WDK
Old 12-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #12

Not sure what we're going to yet, as we haven't even picked up the unit yet, not even sure what kind of extended warranty we can purchase, I would assume up here in Canada were probably limited to our options.

kdcamper

Old 12-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #13
WDK

Our dealer offered it at purchase and the price was negotiable. If you are your own best mechanic and handy man perhaps you may not need as much of a warranty....while it's been less than a year and half....long story of not getting what we wanted in the first place and being able to upgrade, I started out with 2014 Lance camper in the fall of 2013, bought a class C 2014 in the spring of 2014 and now have a class A 2014 bought 7 months ago, I cringe at what can go wrong with these rolling buckets of bolts and I want all the help I can getting it fixed so I can get back on the road and enjoying what my wife and I love to do like our last 5,500 mile trip from Southern California, to Kansas City, to James Town Virginia and back with no problems knock on wood for luck.

WDK
Old 12-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #14

I own a 2011 G town 378. This is the 4th mhome I have owned. I purchased extended warantees on my 1st 3 coaches.I estamate the cost of all the warantees at around a total of 5000 dollars. During the 15 years of ownership I never collected a penny.It seemed that anytime I had a problem it was not covered. This time around I decided instead of buying a contract I would take out a 2000 dollar bank account and keep it just for that purpose.The 2000 is still there after almost 5 years
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000484.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	502.4 KB
ID:	67266  
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypal View Post
I own a 2011 G town 378. This is the 4th mhome I have owned. I purchased extended warantees on my 1st 3 coaches.I estamate the cost of all the warantees at around a total of 5000 dollars. During the 15 years of ownership I never collected a penny.It seemed that anytime I had a problem it was not covered. This time around I decided instead of buying a contract I would take out a 2000 dollar bank account and keep it just for that purpose.The 2000 is still there after almost 5 years

I agree. I don't buy extended warranties anymore. I think over time, you'll spend a lot more with the warranties than without. That's certainly been my experience. For some, perhaps the peace of mind is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #16

Depends on what your aversion to risk is. One single slide failure, AC unit quitting, leveler hydraulic issue would pay for the warranty. Or play the odds and hopefully save the money.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #17
WDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
Depends on what your aversion to risk is. One single slide failure, AC unit quitting, leveler hydraulic issue would pay for the warranty. Or play the odds and hopefully save the money.

I agree, all it takes is one big thing....I would rather not play the odds......my extended warranty gives my pocket book a whole lot of peace and while I would rather be using it whenever I want being in Ca, any time it's in the shop over the next 7 years and I don't have to pay for it, I will be happy.

WDK
Old 12-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #18
New to Forest River

I went ahead and bought the second year warranty from FR. I figure that this will guarantee that I will not have any issues until day 721.

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue

Tags
forest river, warranty