Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2010, 11:40 PM   #1

32" Toshiba LCD TV front mount in 2010 Georgetown 350 TS

My 32" Toshiba LCD TV died suddenly after only being used 4 times. It was working great when it was turned off but now has no response when we try to turn it on with the remote or the side control panel. I've tried all the possible solutions in the troubleshooting section of the operators manual but to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem???
I ask the TV guys in Best Buy what they thought it might be. They thought it sounded like the motherboard is "fried" and it is likely cheaper to buy a new one than repair the existing one. I did not know TV's had motherboards.
If the Toshiba packs it in after less than 20 hours of use maybe it is not a good candidate for use in the RV environment. Again, I think it would be advantageous to know what other RV'ers experience has been.
I know it will be a damned hassle dealing with Toshiba. I'm from Canada visiting in the US. Their warranty statement says the warranty on a TV sold in Canada is not valid in the US. I know. The TV was sold to Forest River in Indiana but I've heard the Toshiba customer service is abominable so I expect them to make an issue out of this. Maybe they will surprise me.
What LCD HD TV lasts best jouncing around in the cockpit of a motor home?
Did Forest River choose Toshiba because they were better than the ones they were using before, or because they were less troublesome from a warranty standpoint, or because they represented better service for their valued customers, or because Toshiba gave them the best price on a bulk purchase?
What advice can you give me on this issue?
Lloyd
starburst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
camping

if your still under warranty try calling Forest River, they should take care of it.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #3

Give FR a call and talk to the tech guys for the electronics. Our friends TV had a similar problem, and our dealer found out after talking to the techs it had something to do with the hookup wires. The TV was fine. Sorry can't give more specific info. I know when I bought my new FR the TV was giving some problems and the dealer changed out the connection wire from the DVD and added another part. Haven't tried it yet as its in storage until the end of January. Good luck.
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #4

Hi all
Our TV quit working the first trip out. We were on a 6000 mile trip and just dealt with it. On returning our dealer worked with Toshiba and installed a new one which is working great. No problems with us at the dealer. He said that a lot of them have come back.
cb
GeorgieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #5

On my coach there is a thing that the TV power cord plugs into, which then plugs into the power outlet. It's a little black box. It's function is to cut the power to the TV when the engine is running. You might try bypassing that if you haven't already.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Mac

Bohica

Neither FR nor Toshiba will help you in any sort of way that doesn't make you regret being an FR owner. FR will require you to take several trips back and forth to repair centers, making appointments and ferrying estimates.

It is a cheap disposable TV made crappy in China. Don't try to fix it. Replace it.

Forget FR and Toshiba.

By investing only 20 mins of your time instead, you can pay less than $300, and have any number of 32" LCD TVs delivered anywhere you want in less than 4 days. You can even go a bit bigger if you want.

There is nothing special about the Toshiba in form or function. It has a standard panel mount. You can change it out yourself in under 2 hours with no special skills. Your new install will be better than the original because you will actually care about vibration noise. You will also get introduced to a huge amount of wasted space behind the TV that you may decide you want to access by cutting a hold in the cabinet side panels.

If FR had more integrity/brains, they'd just have a new TV sent to you and take it out of their dealer's hide.

BOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst2 View Post
My 32" Toshiba LCD TV died suddenly after only being used 4 times. It was working great when it was turned off but now has no response when we try to turn it on with the remote or the side control panel. I've tried all the possible solutions in the troubleshooting section of the operators manual but to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem???
I ask the TV guys in Best Buy what they thought it might be. They thought it sounded like the motherboard is "fried" and it is likely cheaper to buy a new one than repair the existing one. I did not know TV's had motherboards.
If the Toshiba packs it in after less than 20 hours of use maybe it is not a good candidate for use in the RV environment. Again, I think it would be advantageous to know what other RV'ers experience has been.
I know it will be a damned hassle dealing with Toshiba. I'm from Canada visiting in the US. Their warranty statement says the warranty on a TV sold in Canada is not valid in the US. I know. The TV was sold to Forest River in Indiana but I've heard the Toshiba customer service is abominable so I expect them to make an issue out of this. Maybe they will surprise me.
What LCD HD TV lasts best jouncing around in the cockpit of a motor home?
Did Forest River choose Toshiba because they were better than the ones they were using before, or because they were less troublesome from a warranty standpoint, or because they represented better service for their valued customers, or because Toshiba gave them the best price on a bulk purchase?
What advice can you give me on this issue?
Lloyd
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
Site Team

I thought mine had died too, until I remembered I had disconnected from shore power. As soon as I plugged back into shore power, it worked great. Mine doesn't run on battery (nor does most 110v AC things LOL).

Have you tried taking the tv out and plugging it elsewhere (like your house) to see if it works? You could possibly have something simple as a bad outlet (or fuse) in the trailer.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Neither FR nor Toshiba will help you in any sort of way that doesn't make you regret being an FR owner. FR will require you to take several trips back and forth to repair centers, making appointments and ferrying estimates.

It is a cheap disposable TV made crappy in China. Don't try to fix it. Replace it.

Forget FR and Toshiba.

By investing only 20 mins of your time instead, you can pay less than $300, and have any number of 32" LCD TVs delivered anywhere you want in less than 4 days. You can even go a bit bigger if you want.

There is nothing special about the Toshiba in form or function. It has a standard panel mount. You can change it out yourself in under 2 hours with no special skills. Your new install will be better than the original because you will actually care about vibration noise. You will also get introduced to a huge amount of wasted space behind the TV that you may decide you want to access by cutting a hold in the cabinet side panels.

If FR had more integrity/brains, they'd just have a new TV sent to you and take it out of their dealer's hide.

BOHICA
Virtually all tv's are made in china or korea.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for all the great feedback. I have tried several different power sources both within the motorhome and from outside via extension cord. In no instance did I get any semblance of little lights that normally indicate the power is on. I tested with my multi meter the black box that jsutherl mentioned was there to prevent your TV from being used while the engine is running. Ingenious though it may be it is functioning and outputting 120 VAC so that is not the problem.
I phoned my dealer back in Red Deer AB and got no support. According to the watchman type guy who answered the phone, all the management have gone on holidays commencing the 17th of Dec. Toshiba told me I would need a proof of purchase, that I should be able to get from my dealer or Forest River, before they would consider any warranty repair. I already told you about the dealer so I emailed the CEO of FR and phoned FR as well. I got the ubiquitous voice mail machine saying "abcdxyd" was away from the phone or already busy with another valued customer (BS) and that if I left my phone number, my VIN number and a short message he would get back to me asap. Of course he did not. Somehow I was not expecting that miracle to happen. I think Mac's advice is the most poigniant and coincides with my inital hunch. I was in Costco yesterday and saw 32" VIZIO HD LCD's for $280 with the manufacturer's instant $50 rebate. That is probably the amount that some sane person would pay to avoid the cost of seveal long distance phone, the hassle and frustration, plus the inane answering machine messages intended to stonewall you into submission.
Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for your feed back. I will report back to let you know what FR does after I call them again tomorrow morning but don't expect surprises. I'm not.
By tomorrow night I will either have a new TV courtesy of Forest River/Toshiba or a new TV courtesy of Santa and you know who pays his bills. LOL
Regards,
Lloyd
Old 12-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo45 View Post
Virtually all tv's are made in china or korea.
That would be "ALL TVs" are imported. The last US manufacturer to make TV displays was Zenith. They closed their last US plant in December 1998.

A Big Time Hurt: Zenith Closing 10 Years Later | WBEZ
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
That would be "ALL TVs" are imported. The last US manufacturer to make TV displays was Zenith. They closed their last US plant in December 1998.

A Big Time Hurt: Zenith Closing 10 Years Later | WBEZ
I have 2 of those old Zeniths......still working great. The main reason that I bought Zeniths is because they were the only TVs that were made in America. I guess I won't have that choice the next time around.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #12

starburst2,

Try unplugging the television for a few minutes and then plug it in and let it set for a couple of minutes before attempting to turn it on and see if this works.

2010 Rockwood Windjammer 2609W
Reese dual cam sway control
2002 Chevy Express 1500 LT
Family of 4 and WeBJammin'
WeBJammin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #13

It could be a blown fuse in the tv itself. I've seen that happen before. A relatively easy fix. No way would I pay for it myself if its still under warranty.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #14

It would be cheaper to buy a new one. We bought a 32" mitsubishi
bigdaddy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy23 View Post
It would be cheaper to buy a new one. We bought a 32" mitsubishi
Cheaper than getting a free one from FR? There is a guy that posted on here that he got 7 of them.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #16

Hi all
I eventually got PO'd with all the stonewalling, took the TV out and took it to the local authorized service center. They tested it and gave me an estimate of $250 to fix it. Since my wife had been without TV for several days; and since repairing the Toshiba was less than the price of a new Vizio; and since I was uncertain that the Visio had the same mounting bolt hole spacing as the Toshiba; and since the repair shop confirmed that they repaired far less Toshibas each month than other types I bit the bullet and gave them the go ahead to fix it andI would pay for it then fight with Toshiba and Forest River. I phoned Mike Burns and told him that I was having it fixed and expected to be reimbursed between FR and Toshiba. He was a bit nonplussed about this but agreed that someway or another they would reimburse me. This morning I had a call from a Toshiba supervisor informing me that they would reimburse me upon receipt of the bill. I hope this is the end of the matter but time will tell. Aside from a lot of frustration and aggravation I think this issue is now behind me.
Lloyd
Old 12-25-2010, 01:21 AM   #17

Good for you. I'm sure that FR got a hold of Toshiba and got it done for you.

Tags
georgetown