Old 05-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #1

Question 335DS Questions?

I'm looking into buying a 335DS Georgetown 2014. I have some questions

Do you use the fireplace much? Does it keep you warm?
Can this RV pull a Jeep Wrangler?
Is the smaller RV refrigerator okay for two people that would like to fulltime eventually? We eat alot of fresh vegetable & fruits so might not use the ref too much
Will this RV hold up to a fulltimer travel agenda? I hope to travel alot

Not sure what else I should ask but any feedback is appreciated.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #2

If it has heat strips, along with the fireplace you'll save a lot on propane. Those electric fireplaces are nice and they do keep you warm. It sits on the same chassis as ours and yes you can pull a Wrangler. The hitch is rated for 5k lbs. It would be nicer if it had a full size fridge though. Our 351DS seems very well constructed and the fiberglass roof is tough so I would think it will last a long time.

The only thing that you may run into, if you are going to be on the road a lot, is dealing with sway. Give yourself a 1,500 dollar allowance to install a rear trak bar along with a steering stabilizer. You will also have to weight the coach to set the correct tire pressures. You'll know what you need after you drive it.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #3

I have a 335. Wife and I spent 3 months in it this winter in the SW. We used the fireplace almost every morning to take the chill off. Occasionally used a small space heater. Never used my furnace. We wish we had the bigger refer, but we got by just fine. More frequent trips to the grocery store. We pull a Chevy Equinox. Don't even know it's there.

Enjoy!
Old 05-16-2014, 08:25 AM   #4

I have a 335DS and pull a Jeep Wrangler. You dont even know its back there. They put the same engine in much heavier gas RVs...the v10 is a beast.

The electric fireplace works great. I have actually used it more for heat than looks lol.

The fridge works fine for my wife and me but we mainly camp on the weekends and do trips.

My only issues so far have been getting it to feel better going down the road which a track bar on the back and the cheap fix on the front have solved so far.

I'd buy it again.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #5

GT 335DS owner

We have a 2013 335DS. The bigger residential refrigerator might be nice but since it uses 110V we didn't want to rely on batteries or running the generator when shore power wasn't available. Haven't changed anything on the suspension. It already handles better than the class C we had prior. The fireplace is a must as far as we are concerned. Nice to get up on a cool morning sit in front of the fireplace and have morning coffee while watching the morning news. Seems to have plenty of power, but we don't pull dingy either (or not yet). Hope this helps. We love it so far.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB2014 View Post
We have a 2013 335DS. The bigger residential refrigerator might be nice but since it uses 110V we didn't want to rely on batteries or running the generator when shore power wasn't available. Haven't changed anything on the suspension. It already handles better than the class C we had prior. The fireplace is a must as far as we are concerned. Nice to get up on a cool morning sit in front of the fireplace and have morning coffee while watching the morning news. Seems to have plenty of power, but we don't pull dingy either (or not yet). Hope this helps. We love it so far.
You'd be surprised how efficient the Samsung refrigerators are. You can't even hear them running. I'd like to experiment to see how long it will run on a full charge of batteries. Problem is that it's hard to duplicate regular use. You know, how many times it's opened during an X amount of time.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #7

I heard refrigeration times on batteries of anywhere from 4-24 hours! So who knows. One other thing. Dealer said if residential frig fails, it's too wide to get it out door so front windshield has to be removed!!
Old 05-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB2014 View Post
I heard refrigeration times on batteries of anywhere from 4-24 hours! So who knows. One other thing. Dealer said if residential frig fails, it's too wide to get it out door so front windshield has to be removed!!
I would think that if you are boondocking and watch your what you do and use, it will last longer than that. I can't remember where I read it, but someone stated that theirs was pulling around 1 amp with the compressor running...not sure how true that is though.

A dealer will tell you anything according to what they see you are interested in. I'm sure the windshield will probably have to be removed to swap out an entire refrigerator. The thing is, when was the last time that you have had a residential refrigerator go bad? Maybe we've been lucky, but we've never had one go bad, ever. Now, let's say something zaps the electronics...well, you don't have to remove the entire refrigerator for that. We were so happy to see a residential in an RV. We are allergic to RV refrigerators.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #9

We have a 2014 335 and have put just over 10,000 miles on it thus far.

We spent 10 weeks in Florida this winter. The fireplace was an excellent source of heat, hardly used the heat strips or furnace at all. If you have electric hook up you won't use propane to heat.

The fridge was an adequate size, even when we had guests for a week (4 adults). I would think the ability to use alternate power sources (propane or electric) would outweigh any consideration of a residential fridge.

We pulled a Nissan Altima (3800 lbs) on a dolly and had to check the camera to make sure it was there. There was some difference in mileage, but not much.

All in all, we are very pleased with the unit and have reservations for 3.5 to 4 months in Florida this year. We leave for the U.P. of Michigan in a few days. In fact we have used the motor home so much that the house is up for sale. We are not planning on full timing so we are buying a condo, but that gives you some idea of our comfort level with the unit...

Jim Sullivan
Old 05-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sullivan View Post
We have a 2014 335 and have put just over 10,000 miles on it thus far.

We spent 10 weeks in Florida this winter. The fireplace was an excellent source of heat, hardly used the heat strips or furnace at all. If you have electric hook up you won't use propane to heat.

Jim Sullivan

I've seen a couple of posts that reference "heat strips". What are they? Not sure I have them.