Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #1

351 review

We have owned our 2014 GT 351 bunkhouse for about 8 months now and thought I would pass along a few findings/comments we have with the coach. So far we have spent about 20 nights in this unit.

Overall we are happy with the quality and performance of this decent priced Class A. This is our first Class A but we have camped for years and jumped from a hybrid bumper pull trailer to this RV (and saving buying a big truck to tow a larger camper).

1. Residential galley appliances are nice for those that do not dry camp too much and the frig room is quite nice. The ice maker is not great and output really depends on campground water pressure. I did change to the "blank" water filter per Frigidaires suggestion without much change.
2. Get the front end alignment done if you buy new and/ or still have the warranty.
3. Tire pressure monitor system is a must
4. Keep your slide seals well lubed so they seal when slides are out
5. Check the smoke detector battery and that dealer actually connected it at delivery
6. Watch the booth dinette cushion covers and make sure the threads do not become loose (we had our replaced under warranty)
7. Watch your hitch receiver plug as introduces low ground clearance- best to move to the top as others have done
8. The driver and passenger side sliding windows rattle when at highway speeds - no solve all found for that yet
9. Inspect your basement plastic housings and insure the seal is good / recaulk as needed to keep them dry. Also check your basement door latches are properly adjusted- not fun watching them swing in the mirror as you make a turn.
10. We had the transfer switch fail within a few days of use. I also added the Progressive power surge unit which helps with the unknown power towers out there
11. Check all driving and clearance lights are properly sealed and not cracked
12. Watch the roof- I see some areas starting to bubble and will be showing dealer shortly
13. Corian like counter tops scratch easily
14. Stove cooktop is high output and cooks quickly
15. Convection microwave is nice (though our unit failed twice)
16. We upgraded to the oxygen shower head and glad we did
17. We have factory outside tv and audio output is weak
18. We upgraded the clarion in dash DVD to a Fusion DVD radio - makes a difference as we drive as you now can hear it. We added 2 small speakers on the floor which helps also.
19. Inside main cabin DVD player is nice and all enjoy watching a movie as "surround" sound is decent
20. Toilet seat is quite cheap. Will see if it lasts.
21. Kids enjoy the bunks
22. Storage overall is good. Wish the bed lifted to gain access to basement (like some other rvs)
23. Watch roof sealant- esp around radio antenna
24. I added a magnet to hold the screen door to the main entry door- stopped the rattle and banging as it opened and closed
25. I changed to the Maxx air power ventilator for the bath (removed the small factory fan) - makes a nice difference during the shower times
26. I added rubber bumpers to where the edge of bath door would hit the bunk (with slide in)
27. Camera system is overall decent- make sure the backup has the 3 foot marks added via the menu
28. Make sure your engine cover is installed tightly and properly sealing- makes a big difference in heat and reduced road noise
29. Do not dry clean any of the pillows or master comforter provided with the coach....
30. Check you can actually check tightness or remove the wheel covers. You may find the silly wrench they provide is not up to the task it's intended for.
31. Forest River adds a cable splitter behind center overhead cabinet backing. If you have a tv with poor reception it is probably that splitter with a loose connection. We had removed our back panel during satellite install and after a while troubleshooting found the splitter behind some insulation. If you do decide on satellite consider a portable antenna as we have poor luck with southern latitudes and tree cover with our fixed King dome.
32. Get plastic mattress covers for bunks. Saved our cushions one night with a sick child! Foam egg crates have added to comfort to master and the bunks also.
33. I added a 8 ft 5" pvc fence post with gutter slide to store the sewer slinky. I mounted it at an angle in the propane compartment- works great!
34. Averaging about 7 mpg including generator running. I only run full synthetic and just changed early at about 5k mile mark. I do not push this rv and like to run max about 63-65 mph on highway.
35. Rand McNally 7" RV gps is nice addition and keeps me well posted on the route ahead.
36. Driver and passenger seats swivel back to add seating in main cabin. We have eurocliner also and do not find much interference with all 3 in use.
37. Watch the slide retractable covers as rain water can accumulate in small puddles.
38. I find the coach rocks if the jacks are allowed to extend out too far (they seem a little small for even a coach this size). It's a pain but adding wood or blocking to reduce jack travel stroke results in less rocking. I also add a squirt of lube to the jack chrome rod occasionally especially if real dusty or salty air location.
39. I find the electric hot water is adequate for 2-3 showers and almost never need the propane keep the propane switch off.
40. A 90 degree fitting left on city water inlet helps with hose bend and door closure.

Hope these help - feel free to ask questions or comment.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1409709967.152511.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	618.1 KB
ID:	62020  
FL family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL family View Post
We have owned our 2014 GT 351 bunkhouse for about 8 months now and thought I would pass along a few findings/comments we have with the coach. So far we have spent about 20 nights in this unit.

Overall we are happy with the quality and performance of this decent priced Class A. This is our first Class A but we have camped for years and jumped from a hybrid bumper pull trailer to this RV (and saving buying a big truck to tow a larger camper).

1. Residential galley appliances are nice for those that do not dry camp too much and the frig room is quite nice. The ice maker is not great and output really depends on campground water pressure. I did change to the "blank" water filter per Frigidaires suggestion without much change.
2. Get the front end alignment done if you buy new and/ or still have the warranty.
3. Tire pressure monitor system is a must
4. Keep your slide seals well lubed so they seal when slides are out
5. Check the smoke detector battery and that dealer actually connected it at delivery
6. Watch the booth dinette cushion covers and make sure the threads do not become loose (we had our replaced under warranty)
7. Watch your hitch receiver plug as introduces low ground clearance- best to move to the top as others have done
8. The driver and passenger side sliding windows rattle when at highway speeds - no solve all found for that yet
9. Inspect your basement plastic housings and insure the seal is good / recaulk as needed to keep them dry. Also check your basement door latches are properly adjusted- not fun watching them swing in the mirror as you make a turn.
10. We had the transfer switch fail within a few days of use. I also added the Progressive power surge unit which helps with the unknown power towers out there
11. Check all driving and clearance lights are properly sealed and not cracked
12. Watch the roof- I see some areas starting to bubble and will be showing dealer shortly
13. Corian like counter tops scratch easily
14. Stove cooktop is high output and cooks quickly
15. Convection microwave is nice (though our unit failed twice)
16. We upgraded to the oxygen shower head and glad we did
17. We have factory outside tv and audio output is weak
18. We upgraded the clarion in dash DVD to a Fusion DVD radio - makes a difference as we drive as you now can hear it. We added 2 small speakers on the floor which helps also.
19. Inside main cabin DVD player is nice and all enjoy watching a movie as "surround" sound is decent
20. Toilet seat is quite cheap. Will see if it lasts.
21. Kids enjoy the bunks
22. Storage overall is good. Wish the bed lifted to gain access to basement (like some other rvs)
23. Watch roof sealant- esp around radio antenna
24. I added a magnet to hold the screen door to the main entry door- stopped the rattle and banging as it opened and closed
25. I changed to the Maxx air power ventilator for the bath (removed the small factory fan) - makes a nice difference during the shower times
26. I added rubber bumpers to where the edge of bath door would hit the bunk (with slide in)
27. Camera system is overall decent- make sure the backup has the 3 foot marks added via the menu
28. Make sure your engine cover is installed tightly and properly sealing- makes a big difference in heat and reduced road noise
29. Do not dry clean any of the pillows or master comforter provided with the coach....
30. Check you can actually check tightness or remove the wheel covers. You may find the silly wrench they provide is not up to the task it's intended for.
31. Forest River adds a cable splitter behind center overhead cabinet backing. If you have a tv with poor reception it is probably that splitter with a loose connection. We had removed our back panel during satellite install and after a while troubleshooting found the splitter behind some insulation. If you do decide on satellite consider a portable antenna as we have poor luck with southern latitudes and tree cover with our fixed King dome.
32. Get plastic mattress covers for bunks. Saved our cushions one night with a sick child! Foam egg crates have added to comfort to master and the bunks also.
33. I added a 8 ft 5" pvc fence post with gutter slide to store the sewer slinky. I mounted it at an angle in the propane compartment- works great!
34. Averaging about 7 mpg including generator running. I only run full synthetic and just changed early at about 5k mile mark. I do not push this rv and like to run max about 63-65 mph on highway.
35. Rand McNally 7" RV gps is nice addition and keeps me well posted on the route ahead.
36. Driver and passenger seats swivel back to add seating in main cabin. We have eurocliner also and do not find much interference with all 3 in use.
37. Watch the slide retractable covers as rain water can accumulate in small puddles.
38. I find the coach rocks if the jacks are allowed to extend out too far (they seem a little small for even a coach this size). It's a pain but adding wood or blocking to reduce jack travel stroke results in less rocking. I also add a squirt of lube to the jack chrome rod occasionally especially if real dusty or salty air location.
39. I find the electric hot water is adequate for 2-3 showers and almost never need the propane keep the propane switch off.
40. A 90 degree fitting left on city water inlet helps with hose bend and door closure.

Hope these help - feel free to ask questions or comment.
Thanks.

Here is help on audio for outside TV if you don't already know. Switch the outside radio mode to auxilary input and crank it up. Its hooked to TV's output. Gets plenty loud with all three running at same time and has better sound.

As for the toilet seat, I installed a china bowl toilet. I couldn't stand that cheap plastic one it came with. Nice strong and quiet now.

I had same issue with front side windows rattling. I adjusted the 3 slider tabs and it took almost all noise out from rattles. If you open glass portion of window you will see them on rear side track, vertical section. I also put a little velcro wrapped on top/bottom edges on screens and it tightened them up in track for no rattles.

I use quick connects on all water connections with elbows installed as you mentioned. Makes connecting quicker and less bending down time.

I invested in the Sewer Solution. A 1" sewer line with water powered macerator. Love it. It self cleans after dumping waste and takes much less room to store. Keep it in a tote that's 8" wide by 12" long. Have a 5' hose for backup of dumping at stations to not slow everyone else down. Havn't used it yet.

Have similar issue with roof bubbling in couple areas and wrinkles in it where it rounds over at both sides at front of coach. I will have it checked out when take in for few minor warranty items.

Upgraded our mattress with a 9" thick memory foam and a 2" memory topper. Sleeps better than one at the house. Need to change one at home now! DW changed all bedding covers as soon as we got unit home. Originals are in attic.

X2 on the shower head! Love ours too!

Love our "Georgia"! Had to name the girl! She's big as a boat so just seem fitting.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:39 AM   #3

We will have had our 351 for one year in just a few weeks and can relate to most of the issues and upgrades mentioned.
X3 on the oxygen shower head. We also changed to a memory foam mattress topper before our first outing. Followed soon after with a Progressive Dynamics surge protector, installed angled quick disconnects on the water connections, installed Maxx air vent covers, and modified the trailer hitch connector. Plan on changing the toilet to a china unit soon.
Have done many more mods but these are the ones I would highly recommend to a new owner.
Was not aware the TV splitter was behind the center cabinet. Will have to check it out as we do have much better reception on the front TV than on the rear. Learned something new.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

3. Tire pressure monitor system is a must - Which one did you get?
4. Keep your slide seals well lubed so they seal when slides are out What lube have you been using?
7. Watch your hitch receiver plug as introduces low ground clearance- best to move to the top as others have done - Agreed! we had it done prior to pickup at the dealer.
10. We had the transfer switch fail within a few days of use. I also added the Progressive power surge unit which helps with the unknown power towers out there - had our Progressive installed prior to pickup as well. It's awesome.
16. We upgraded to the oxygen shower head and glad we did - yes, and so easy to do. x4 on this one!
18. We upgraded the clarion in dash DVD to a Fusion DVD radio - makes a difference as we drive as you now can hear it. We added 2 small speakers on the floor which helps also. Did you change the subwoofer as well? and where did you stick the speakers? Photos please!!!
25. I changed to the Maxx air power ventilator for the bath (removed the small factory fan) - makes a nice difference during the shower times Agreed! we have the fantastic fan in both kitchen and bath, makes a huge difference!
26. I added rubber bumpers to where the edge of bath door would hit the bunk (with slide in) Good idea! will do this.
27. Camera system is overall decent- make sure the backup has the 3 foot marks added via the menu How does one do this? Menu on the viewscreen?
31. Forest River adds a cable splitter behind center overhead cabinet backing. If you have a tv with poor reception it is probably that splitter with a loose connection. We had removed our back panel during satellite install and after a while troubleshooting found the splitter behind some insulation. If you do decide on satellite consider a portable antenna as we have poor luck with southern latitudes and tree cover with our fixed King dome. Good to know, we haven't purchased one yet.
33. I added a 8 ft 5" pvc fence post with gutter slide to store the sewer slinky. I mounted it at an angle in the propane compartment- works great! Pictures please!!! would love to move the tub that is storing ours currently!
39. I find the electric hot water is adequate for 2-3 showers and almost never need the propane keep the propane switch off. Huh. we've only been on propane so far - may have to try this, it's just a hassle cause it's outside....
40. A 90 degree fitting left on city water inlet helps with hose bend and door closure. Good tip!!!

I've added some questions and comments - thanks for taking the time to post! We love our 351 so far, have had some minor issues but overall good. We've camped 28 nights (I think) so far since May 15. Would love some photos of your mods on the sewer slinky in the propane area, and the speakers in the front (which is my personal biggest pet peeve right now...!)

Thanks!
Garren
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #5

Attached a few pictures showing forward speakers and sewage hose storage setup. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410306212.499930.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	62507 Also a screen shot of tire monitor I use. Enjoy!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410306171.186345.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	686.1 KB
ID:	62504Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410306188.271516.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	526.8 KB
ID:	62505Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410306201.373595.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	546.0 KB
ID:	62506

Old 09-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #6

See I was asked few more questions:

I use foaming slide lube from Campers World

I left the subwoofer but the Fusion head unit has internal amp that helps output quality

Camera menu includes back up distance overlay (quite accurate)

Left front speaker is on floor even with dash and Velcro'd to left wall. I used some Cambridge Soundworks speakers I had from the house. The Fusion head unit has multiple zones so I can use the 4 overheads or move to just front speakers.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:23 PM   #7

Thank you so much! How did you attach the sewer pipe holder? That looks like an awesome idea!
Appreciate all the photos, and the answers. We're all excited to make some changes to the stereo, did you have a model # that you used? My husband is muttering something about subwoofers and wiring harnesses......maybe looking that up will help him visualize?

Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:28 AM   #8

Quote:
How exactly did you get to this menu? Can you attach a picture of the 3 foot marks and the menu? Thanks!
chill960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #9

Excellent advice. So far we love ours. Looking forward to making some of these modifications.
bstovall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #10

We love our 351 too. I dropped it off for some warranty work, the most serious of which to me was a small gap between the roof and the rear end cap that would let water in.

I'd love to know more about the shower head you guys are raving about. Which one is it and where can I get it?
DustyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #11

Can someone let me know if the tv outside and the bedroom tv are linked to the Jensen DVD player and if so how do I get the signal from it? Also what are the functions of the Jensen puck control under the outside tv.
bstovall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #12

Did the hitch 7pin plug relocation along with roller under hitch- only scraped a couple times but twice too many. Doing CHF this weekend for our upcoming Keys trip. Did a hot water flush too as part of my maintenance plan- anode wastage was ok but replaced since wastage was at threaded end and had rod drop into tank on previous travel trailer. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1415926228.549726.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	843.3 KB
ID:	66371Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1415926142.324443.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	912.8 KB
ID:	66369Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1415926164.578202.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	66370

Old 11-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #13

Did you add an led strip under the awning?
Coleman 12' Pop up
Jayco X23B
jimacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #14

Ours came installed from the factory- Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1415930002.079391.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	841.4 KB
ID:	66386

Old 11-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #15

FL Family - not sure what you do for PSI, we inflated to 92 PSI. Combine this with a driving technique of looking out ahead and bingo - easy peasy driving.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #16

What model fusion radio did you get????

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
k3wtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #17

Ended up replacing factory radio with a Fusion MS-AV700i. I also added the Bluetooth module to stream music. The system overall was a little pricey but the features are tough to match. It includes remote, built in amp, selectable speaker zones, VHF radio that includes weather broadcast and still plays DVDs to cabin tv and improved surround sound. I kept the original radio and if I sell the RV will move it to my next rig.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstovall View Post
Can someone let me know if the tv outside and the bedroom tv are linked to the Jensen DVD player and if so how do I get the signal from it? Also what are the functions of the Jensen puck control under the outside tv.
Not sure about outside TV since I don't have one, but the Jenson DVD player in mine only connects to the living room TV.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Ended up replacing factory radio with a Fusion MS-AV700i. I also added the Bluetooth module to stream music. The system overall was a little pricey but the features are tough to match. It includes remote, built in amp, selectable speaker zones, VHF radio that includes weather broadcast and still plays DVDs to cabin tv and improved surround sound. I kept the original radio and if I sell the RV will move it to my next rig.

Thanks for all the info - how tough was the rewiring when you replaced the Jensen?
Old 11-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstovall View Post

They are not connected. The only connection to all tv's is the cable run and antenna. The DVD is outputting signal through RCA cables to main.
The puck outside is a radio tuner with built in amp. It has several inputs according to documentation but they are behind unit. If you use mode and switch to aux it will play the tv audio. Which is great because the tv is not loud outdoors. The puck and speakers sound good. The puck has USB and more audio inputs. Will play mp3s. I want to access the inputs and bring the connections into the tv compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums