Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #21

Well, we tried the reset this weekend with no change, so the coach is going in on Thursday for it to get checked out.
Al, thanks for the documentation and I've put a copy in the coach in case we have future issues.....!
Cheers!
Garren
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #22

Installed the new breaker; the jacks went up and down; it tripped a few times but then smoothed out. Now to get the leak found and repaired. Had a bit of smoking from the motor at one point; we let it cool off, then it seemed to work. We are concerned there may be fluid in the motor though...
ckbdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #23

So, an update on our jacks....after dropping off the coach on Thursday (with an appointment no less!) they finally got around to looking at it after I called on Monday. The verdict? It took 2 days to figure out the problem including the manufacturer, which was there is something shorting out in the motor, causing the breaker to trip. The solution? Replace the whole motor. The fun part? Since it's a newer model, and this "never" happens, they have to locate a motor, which is apparently hard, since they are still looking......
I am not annoyed so much that it isn't fixed, but because it took them 2 days to bother getting to my MH, even with an "appointment"
We could have gone camping last weekend......
Oh well......
Garren
Old 06-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAndGarren View Post
So, an update on our jacks....after dropping off the coach on Thursday (with an appointment no less!) they finally got around to looking at it after I called on Monday. The verdict? It took 2 days to figure out the problem including the manufacturer, which was there is something shorting out in the motor, causing the breaker to trip. The solution? Replace the whole motor. The fun part? Since it's a newer model, and this "never" happens, they have to locate a motor, which is apparently hard, since they are still looking......
I am not annoyed so much that it isn't fixed, but because it took them 2 days to bother getting to my MH, even with an "appointment"
We could have gone camping last weekend......
Oh well......
Garren
Sorry to hear about that. We are currently in a similar situation with our awning. Dropped it off at the dealer 45 minutes away with DW following me. Mind you, all they had to do is write up a repair estimate so that the insurance can cut a check. Two weeks later we went to pick it up to go camping and they still hadn't done the estimate, but they charged me 99 bucks for the estimate. When we got back from camping I called and they finally sent the estimate to the insurance. A week later I receive the check and call the dealer to make another appointment to drop it off. I told them that I needed the coach back in two weeks for our trip to FL. They said no problem, it's just an awning. So, DW following me again, we drop it off. Got it all checked in and I reminded them that I needed the coach in two weeks....the service individual said, no way. The awning is a special order item and it may take up to six weeks. What is wrong with these people? Drove it home and we will be camping without an awning for our trip to FL.

What really gets me is that in the estimate they overcharged for the awning and quoted 8 hours of labor to install an awning. Mind you, the upper brackets are there and all holes are predrilled, etc. I even saved the power cord and it's taped to the side of the coach. All they have to do it bolt the awning on.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #25

Leveling jacks working again!

Well, we finally had the motor replaced on the jacks, and they work like a charm! Dropped it off late on Monday, and hope it's done by Friday, and wouldn't you know it, Tuesday afternoon they call and it's done. Also had them replace the bathroom fan with a fantastic fan and cover, so that's fantastic too.
Picked it up Friday, and spent yesterday doing those little jobs that never get done, so back out to the storage unit we go now.
Too bad we are not camping next weekend!

Al, did you ever get your awning fixed?

Garren
Old 07-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
Only way to tell is by replacement, but in my experience, they're only good for about 50-60 cycles before they're toast. They're all over eBay for $40, and I'd go for the 100-A instead of the 90. They use the 100 now.
Do you have a part number for that breaker? Mine has started tripping every time I try to lower the jacks. Fluid and power is good. If that is the problem it would be cheaper, (and less headache) to replace it myself than having to take it back to the dealer

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
Do you have a part number for that breaker? Mine has started tripping every time I try to lower the jacks. Fluid and power is good. If that is the problem it would be cheaper, (and less headache) to replace it myself than having to take it back to the dealer
Does it sound like it is starting to run, then just trip the breaker? That is what ours was doing and it wasn't the breaker, there was a short in the motor (which had to be completely replaced.....)
Old 07-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #28

Quote:

Maybe a dumb question, but is the engine running, or are you hooked up to power when you drop the jacks?

You need to be, because a slightly weak battery can cause the breaker to pop.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but is the engine running, or are you hooked up to power when you drop the jacks?

You need to be, because a slightly weak battery can cause the breaker to pop.
When this happened this past weekend engine and generator were running. I always have the engine running when I lower the jacks but have not had a chance to attempt on shore power yet

Charleston SC
Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAndGarren View Post
Does it sound like it is starting to run, then just trip the breaker? That is what ours was doing and it wasn't the breaker, there was a short in the motor (which had to be completely replaced.....)
Could not hear what the motor was doing as we were at the dragstrip. Plan on trying tomorrow when I can get hooked up at home where I can listen better. Didn't attempt much while on the road since they were in the up position and I didn't have my drill in case they got stuck down. Will post what I find.

Charleston SC
Old 07-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbdk View Post
I'm hoping someone can help us with what may be a related issue on our 2005 Georgetown 342. It started after our last trip; got home, extended the jacks, then one would not retract. It had to be done manually; then none would extend. The hydraulic motor would run a second or two, then trip the breaker, and nothing was moving. The fluid was low, so we have added to that. Tried to bleed the lines by extending and retracting, a process that took over an hour. Again, the motor runs a few seconds and then trips the breaker. We did get all four jacks to extend and then retract, but the motor was running hot. I don't know if it was overheating and tripping the breaker or if there is still air in the lines. I don't want to burn out the motor. Any suggestions? Thank you!
I just went through the same problem , motor as getting way hot, checked the draw way high, ordered new motor from Lippert $732.00. Came today so installed it and presto everything back to normal. I'm going to have the old one rebuilt the brushes were down to almost nothing and it was full of carbon from them causing the short. My coach is an 06.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #32

Update; This morning I tried lowering the jacks while plugged into shore power and they went down fine. I checked the shafts and they were pretty dry so I sprayed all of them with silicone spray. Went in and tried raising the jacks and got a flashing low power indicator. Started the engine and they worked fine. Lowered and raised three times with no problem. Not sure now if they were sticking and tripping the breaker or what was happening. It was very hot the other day and the breaker was hot after tripping. Might have worked if I had let it cool down a while but didn't want to chance it away from home. Could also have a motor going bad, guess time will tell.

Charleston SC
Old 07-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Update; This morning I tried lowering the jacks while plugged into shore power and they went down fine. I checked the shafts and they were pretty dry so I sprayed all of them with silicone spray. Went in and tried raising the jacks and got a flashing low power indicator. Started the engine and they worked fine. Lowered and raised three times with no problem. Not sure now if they were sticking and tripping the breaker or what was happening. It was very hot the other day and the breaker was hot after tripping. Might have worked if I had let it cool down a while but didn't want to chance it away from home. Could also have a motor going bad, guess time will tell.

That's good to hear! Let's hope it's not the motor. I will say we had low power indicators prior to it not working though.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #34

I don't use my levelers unless the engine is running AND I'm plugged in to shore power or the generator is running. All of my leveler problems have ceased since using this method.
kmbusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling