Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #1

351DS leveling jacks

So, went out for our 2nd trip last night - can't get the jacks to come down at all. No manual, no auto no nothing.

They worked 2 weeks ago, but we got a "low voltage" error when deploying and retracting. We got the same "low voltage" error first last night, then nothing, no errors, all the lights come on cycle, but nothing happens.

I'm guessing there is a fuse or circuit or something that has tripped? Would appreciate any suggestions. My DH will be calling the dealer today to see what they have to say, but wanted to double our chances of a good answer!

Also - how long should it take for the water heater to heat up on propane? It seemed to take forever last night to get some hot water. I turn the switch on inside, it is red for a few minutes then goes off, but the water isn't hot, probably took another 30 minutes....... I don't remember it taking this long in the rentals we've had before, so was just wondering.

Thanks!
Garren
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #2

Make sure your engine is running and parking brake is on. The hydraulic jacks take allot of juice. If its dead check fuses at battery compartment.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #3

Yes, tries it with engine last night, no go. The brain trust at the dealer had told us to have it on accessory mode only, so I think that drained it last time. Whereare the fuses in the battery compartment? House batteries or coach?
Old 05-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

Upper left corner in coach battery compartment beside entry steps. Two breakers, push reset.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABoy View Post
Upper left corner in coach battery compartment beside entry steps. Two breakers, push reset.
Awesome! will check it out when back at the coach in a few hours.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:40 AM   #6

I'm hoping someone can help us with what may be a related issue on our 2005 Georgetown 342. It started after our last trip; got home, extended the jacks, then one would not retract. It had to be done manually; then none would extend. The hydraulic motor would run a second or two, then trip the breaker, and nothing was moving. The fluid was low, so we have added to that. Tried to bleed the lines by extending and retracting, a process that took over an hour. Again, the motor runs a few seconds and then trips the breaker. We did get all four jacks to extend and then retract, but the motor was running hot. I don't know if it was overheating and tripping the breaker or if there is still air in the lines. I don't want to burn out the motor. Any suggestions? Thank you!
ckbdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #7

Here is how we do it. When we get to our spot, leave engine running and level it. Shut engine off and hook up to shore power then extend the slides. We never run anything on just batteries.

If you drained the batteries, get them fully charged (check water level also). Reset the two CBs in the battery compartment. You will then have to reset the system and then recalibrate the auto level. If you need the procedures I can load them up for you.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:57 AM   #8

Oh, and in reference to your water heater. It take a little while to heat up on just propane. If you are hooked up to shore power turn on the electric side of the water heater and with both propane and electric it will heat up in a hurry.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbdk View Post
I'm hoping someone can help us with what may be a related issue on our 2005 Georgetown 342. It started after our last trip; got home, extended the jacks, then one would not retract. It had to be done manually; then none would extend. The hydraulic motor would run a second or two, then trip the breaker, and nothing was moving. The fluid was low, so we have added to that. Tried to bleed the lines by extending and retracting, a process that took over an hour. Again, the motor runs a few seconds and then trips the breaker. We did get all four jacks to extend and then retract, but the motor was running hot. I don't know if it was overheating and tripping the breaker or if there is still air in the lines. I don't want to burn out the motor. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Are the shafts that extend down clean and lubricated with silicone spray?
Might be causing a bind in the system but doesn't seem like it would cause all them to have problems.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #10

The shafts appear to be fine.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #11

This is when the "adventure of RVing" begins
jojo bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbdk View Post

You must have either:
a. the engine running
b: the generator running
c: shore power.

If you have one of these, and it still trips the breaker, your house batteries are probably shot.

Your 342 has one of the last fairly reliable Liipert systems in it. The only problem I've had was hoses leaking. When I bought it, I found that they had bypassed a bad breaker (the side was blown off of it!),and just replaced it myself. The dealer had told me the same as someone else mentioned, "Just put the key in Accessory!"

It was five years old, and had never been sold to an end-user when I bought it. FR used it as a demo, and it then went to two other dealers, the first of which went B/K. The only things that had ever been used were the reefer and the genny. It had 12K miles on it, and the genny had 550 hours!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #13

Thanks! House batteries are fine (they show 13.5), we're plugged into shore power and have tried it with the engine running. Some posts have mentioned replacing the breaker; easy enough, but is there a way to know if that is the problem? Don't want to burn out the motor if it is good... Jacks have been run up and down 3 times using drill; they do not seem to have any issues.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #14

Only way to tell is by replacement, but in my experience, they're only good for about 50-60 cycles before they're toast. They're all over eBay for $40, and I'd go for the 100-A instead of the 90. They use the 100 now.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #15

Thanks! Will try to buy one locally tomorrow, if I can't find it I'll order. Will re-post with results.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
Here is how we do it. When we get to our spot, leave engine running and level it. Shut engine off and hook up to shore power then extend the slides. We never run anything on just batteries.

If you drained the batteries, get them fully charged (check water level also). Reset the two CBs in the battery compartment. You will then have to reset the system and then recalibrate the auto level. If you need the procedures I can load them up for you.
We reset the breaker several times, and whenever we got the RV levelers started, they'd make some noise with no deployment, and then the breaker would trip again, only the top one. Lucky for us, the spot was level, so we could live with it but the coach moved around a lot when you were walking.

Would love the reset directions, we've got an appointment with the dealer but not til the 12th. The batteries appear fully charged and full of water, so I'm at loss otherwise.......!

Hope the pictures help with your awning!

Thanks
Garren
Old 06-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Oh, and in reference to your water heater. It take a little while to heat up on just propane. If you are hooked up to shore power turn on the electric side of the water heater and with both propane and electric it will heat up in a hurry.
Good to know! I know exactly where that switch is also!
Old 06-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAndGarren View Post
We reset the breaker several times, and whenever we got the RV levelers started, they'd make some noise with no deployment, and then the breaker would trip again, only the top one. Lucky for us, the spot was level, so we could live with it but the coach moved around a lot when you were walking.

Would love the reset directions, we've got an appointment with the dealer but not til the 12th. The batteries appear fully charged and full of water, so I'm at loss otherwise.......!

Hope the pictures help with your awning!

Thanks
Garren
Hey Garren, here are the PDFs. Try the trouble shooting procedures.

Thanks for the pics, I hope to hear something back from the vendor tomorrow.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1.pdf (2.68 MB, 89 views)
File Type: pdf 2.pdf (1.70 MB, 62 views)
File Type: pdf 3.pdf (942.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: pdf Troubleshooting.pdf (806.5 KB, 59 views)
Old 06-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAndGarren View Post
Good to know! I know exactly where that switch is also!
Don't forget to turn it off if you are not going to use it. If you leave it on and the electric heating element is not submerged in water it will burn up almost instantly.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Don't forget to turn it off if you are not going to use it. If you leave it on and the electric heating element is not submerged in water it will burn up almost instantly.
Good call! Will add it to our shutdown checklist!
Thanks for the PDFs, we shall see if that is the problem.

Tags
jacks, leveling