Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #1

351DS rear slide water leak

Ahhh, have to love the new coach! Every week it is something new.

So, when we picked it up from the dealer on Jun 21, they hadn't quite finished washing it - so we went inside to make sure everything on our punch list (minus the levelers, of course) had been completed. All looked shipshape, so I took the car and drove back to our house (10 minutes away) and after about an hour, I called my DH to figure out what black hole had swallowed him up!

Turns out, right after I left, a giant puddle of water appeared just past the fridge, from underneath the bunk/rear slide (which was in) They then spent the next 30 minutes trying to figure out where the water was coming from - and decided it was due to water catching on a side piece of trim (that was not caulked) and running into the lower slide area. They caulked it, and bingo, no more leak.....or so we thought!

This past weekend, we had several large rainstorms, and with the slide out had some water accumulating in the same location, although not a huge amount (maybe a few tablespoons at most) and we can't figure out where it is coming from - the whole slide area appears dry when you look at it, and we are at a loss. It is right where the chain/wire is along the floor to pull the slide in and out, so I'm wondering if the water is just following something in and ending up there? We've checked the top seals, and the slide top itselft and aren't seeing any water there.

Would love any suggestions or info if you've had a similar problem. I don't want to have the dealer work on this because I'm sure it will require more brainpower than they have available.......

Thanks!!!!
Garren
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #2

I just changed my batteries and all of a sudden my stairs stopped working. I tried engine on, shutting door, etc... Power is connected and still no movement from the stair motor. I checked fuses is box by battery... All good... Could it be the motor?
Nsdmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #3

I experienced the same leak in my 2014 351. This was not an easy find. After extensive investigation, we located a broken overflow valve that is located behind the refrigerator. Leak was fixed once it was replaced. Had to pull the refrigerator out to get to the valve. I kept the broken valve if you want to see it.
CTMDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #4

Huh, we haven't had much water recently, but we haven't had the water on in the fridge either. Would love a picture if you have one (no hurry) just I case it's needed.
Appreciate the help as well! We are going out this weekend so we can keep an eye on it.
Thanks!
Garren

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:30 AM   #5
Plain Old Member

Is it only when it rains, or when it's washed?
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Is it only when it rains, or when it's washed?
First time was when it was being washed (had been at the dealer for service and we convinced them to wash it for free as the service had taken longer than expected)

Saw the water again when we were camping, after some rain. (next trip after the pickup) But we've both washed the camper and had more rain since, and haven't seen anything.

This weekend will be the first trip since we got the MH back from the dealer (to fix the levelers) so if it's related to the fact we defrosted/turned off the fridge, we'd probably see some water.

My speculation (the DH doesn't agree) is that they did caulk and fix the leak, but there was water in the track/hidden area that came out when we were driving or when the slide went out, since it was much less than the first time and I haven't seen it again.......

Garren
Old 07-31-2014, 04:57 PM   #7

If it were the valve (as mentioned) there would be a lot of water and would have flooded the last two exterior compartments closes to the rear wheel. Have a great time on your trip. And be safe. Keep in touch jm90504@sbcglobal.net
CTMDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:07 PM   #8

Ahhhh! Yes, no water in below compartments, so probably a different issue. Let's hope the caulk solved the problem!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #9

Our new 2015 Coachmen chapparal is in the shop being repaired for both slides leaking while driving down wet roads. We picked our up the same day as yours. They have determined that the slides aren't sealing properly when slid in and when you drive on wet roads, the tires kick the water up and in. Ours is a fifth wheel. They are putting new seals on the bottom of slides--they call it a wiper seal. Should know further tomorrow when they put the water to it.
LindyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyLu View Post
Our new 2015 Coachmen chapparal is in the shop being repaired for both slides leaking while driving down wet roads. We picked our up the same day as yours. They have determined that the slides aren't sealing properly when slid in and when you drive on wet roads, the tires kick the water up and in. Ours is a fifth wheel. They are putting new seals on the bottom of slides--they call it a wiper seal. Should know further tomorrow when they put the water to it.
UPDATE: It is now October 2015. We just delivered our Chap to the Coachmen factory in Middlebury, Indiana and feel confident our problems will be resolved there. 15 months of the dealer notching it up. Both slides getting all new seals. Thankful that Coachmen is standing behind their product and making things right!!
LindyLu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slide, water, water leak