Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #1

351DS Residential Fridge, How?

I still haven't figured out how to run my fridge without shore or gen power. It's supposed to be able to run on batteries for a while, but I can't figure out how to make it work on batteries. There is a push botton on the steps that appears to be a switch button for an inverter, but nothing happens when depressed. It has an LED that, I'm guessing, should come on when activated. Am I missing something or is something broken?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #2

Do you know the brand name and model number of the fridge?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

On my 351DS, there is a breaker on the outside of the coach. It's in the same compartment as the water valves. Had that happen to me a while back, and that's all it took to going back to draining the batteries when parked! Love being able to run down the road with it running, keeps dinner cool...

--Life is Good...!
CaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Do you know the brand name and model number of the fridge?
It's a three door Frigidaire with water and ice. It's not the fridge since it come on with shore or gen power.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyC View Post
On my 351DS, there is a breaker on the outside of the coach. It's in the same compartment as the water valves. Had that happen to me a while back, and that's all it took to going back to draining the batteries when parked! Love being able to run down the road with it running, keeps dinner cool...
Thanks for the tip. I have to look for it. I can't think off the top of my head which compartment has the water valves.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #6

It's on the passenger side, in front of the water heater panel. It uses the ch951 gas key. You'll probably want to remove the black panel with square head screws. I'm sure its a breaker or something loose in that compartment.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #7

We just got our 2014 328TS a couple months ago with res. fridge. I have the same remote invertor switch by the door. I could not get invertor to work! Took it to dealer and they removed the remote switch and there was another switch on the back of the switch... they flipped it and it now works! ( apparently you can choose to interlock the invertor with the engine ignition or not and the switch on the back corrected my situation)

2014 Georgetown 328TS
towing 2013 Honda Fit
louigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #8

I had this happen when I first got mine (I was trying to find the old thread but couldn't find it and the pics). On the passenger / entry door side going towards the back, you have two storage bay doors and then a smaller door. Unlock and open this one up. It'll be a black plastic panel with a white cap that you can unscrew. Unscrew that cap and look in there with a flashlight. This is where the inverter is for the fridge. Trip the breaker and reset it. Go back by the stairs and press that black inverter button. The green light should go on and your fridge lights will go on as well. Give it about 30 seconds and all should be well. From there, you should be able to turn on the fridge without shore power nor gen.

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMSNT View Post
I had this happen when I first got mine (I was trying to find the old thread but couldn't find it and the pics). On the passenger / entry door side going towards the back, you have two storage bay doors and then a smaller door. Unlock and open this one up. It'll be a black plastic panel with a white cap that you can unscrew. Unscrew that cap and look in there with a flashlight. This is where the inverter is for the fridge. Trip the breaker and reset it. Go back by the stairs and press that black inverter button. The green light should go on and your fridge lights will go on as well. Give it about 30 seconds and all should be well. From there, you should be able to turn on the fridge without shore power nor gen.
Thanks all for the replies. I just removed that black plastic cover panel and I'm a bit confused. There is no inverter. There is a small black box with the same name as the switch by the steps that looks like a switch box with a common household plug that is just dangling there. That box is not even screwed down to the wooden platform, it's just sitting there. Is that how it's supposed to be, or did FR never installed an inverter there?

I also found a dangling cable with a telephone or network end terminal.

And last, but not least, the salesman told me that when I winterize the water heater, all I had to do is turn just one knob (the middle one) and not the other ones. On my travel trailer I had the same setup and I had to close the two to the water heater (in and out) and then open the bypass one in the middle. Please see pictures below...I'm confused. I need to winterize it today because it's already snowing and it's going to be freezing for the next few days.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #10

I'm going from memory at this point and I can't reference or take pics of my coach because it's in the shop... however, I'd say you're missing your inverter! I'm not too sure what the phone cable is for. Sorry to not be of much more help... :-(

Old 10-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #11

I take that back!!!! Here's the pic from when I took it before! :-)

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=photo%2c.jpg

Old 10-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to Chrisbrock
And I'm guessing no gas for the fridge?

Mine operates off shore, gen and gas
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Chrisbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #13

We're talking about the residential fridges in the Georgetowns... they are electric only.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #14

Well, I removed the push button box by the steps and it has a data cable plugged in along with a switch on the back side. Now it makes sense, that cable goes to the MIA inverter. The switch on the back of the box was set on disable.

What do I do from this point? Call FR directly to let them know I'm missing an inverter? This is really starting to chap my hide.

One nice thing I found is that the fresh water tank is enclosed in a heated compartment.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMSNT View Post
I take that back!!!! Here's the pic from when I took it before! :-)

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=photo%2c.jpg
Thanks Chris, yup mine is gone.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
Well, I removed the push button box by the steps and it has a data cable plugged in along with a switch on the back side. Now it makes sense, that cable goes to the MIA inverter. The switch on the back of the box was set on disable.

What do I do from this point? Call FR directly to let them know I'm missing an inverter? This is really starting to chap my hide.

One nice thing I found is that the fresh water tank is enclosed in a heated compartment.
If you have a good relationship with your dealer, I'd start there.

Otherwise, I'd go directly to Georgetown.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If you have a good relationship with your dealer, I'd start there.

Otherwise, I'd go directly to Georgetown.
I guess FR it is, since the dealer I bought it from is a POS.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
Always Learning

Sorry to hear that. Someone found this:
Dealer warranty contact information
Old 10-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Sorry to hear that. Someone found this:
Dealer warranty contact information
thank you. I actually emailed someone from FR that has gotten good reviews in this forum (April). We'll see if she can help. We have a 1k mile trip to FL coming up soon and the kids need their stuff cold.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
thank you. I actually emailed someone from FR that has gotten good reviews in this forum (April). We'll see if she can help. We have a 1k mile trip to FL coming up soon and the kids need their stuff cold.
Al...sorry about your inverter ( ....or lack of! ). From your picture it looks like all the accessories were installed and just waiting to install the inverter?? I know you don't want to run the genny going down the road, but thats what I had to do until i figured out what was wrong. I am sure when you send them your picture they will see the empty space and make it right!

2014 Georgetown 328TS
towing 2013 Honda Fit
louigi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge