Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 03:46 PM   #1

351DS TV Splitter - and Antenna

I'm tired of the poor reception I get with the antenna on our 2013 351DS. So, this weekend I started looking trying to figure things out and make sure everything was tightly connected.

I know there is a splitter somewhere, does anyone know where it is? Also, any idea if it is a powered splitter to boost the signal?

I'd like to actually replace the round omni-directional but first I want to try putting in an additional splitter amp (distribution amp) right after the input selector in the overhead. I figure this will at least boost the signal some through the existing splitter if I can't change it out.

Also, does anyone know -- do you have to completely remove all the "gunk" .. ok, waterproofing, of the existing antenna to get to the connectors there? I want to check those to make sure they are good and tight.

I did do some looking on this site but really couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks for any input.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:54 PM   #2

The antenna on the roof MUST have the amplifier turned ON.
Now being you have a 2013 I'm guessing you know that, RIGHT?
Also what position is the slider switch located near the Amp? Cable, ANT or SAT?

Please be a bit clearer on what you know, what you have done? and positions of all switches.

Here is my old flat Dish and my new JACK antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH_Roof_Oct_2013 003.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	78628   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof 002.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	479.1 KB
ID:	78629  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:33 AM   #3

On my 2014 351 there is a splitter in the wall behind antenna amplifier above the passenger seat. Had to pull the AC outlet loose to pull on the cable and get it out. There is another one in the bedroom under the bottom left drawer that splits for the bunk TVs.
I have replaced both and have better reception but not great. Thinking of going with the Jack antenna like Iggy posted and installing an amplifier in the rear.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
The antenna on the roof MUST have the amplifier turned ON.
Now being you have a 2013 I'm guessing you know that, RIGHT?
Also what position is the slider switch located near the Amp? Cable, ANT or SAT?

Please be a bit clearer on what you know, what you have done? and positions of all switches.

Here is my old flat Dish and my new JACK antenna.

Is the jack antenna stationary like our omni antenna or do you have to drill through interior ceiling for a spin mechanism?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABoy View Post
Is the jack antenna stationary like our omni antenna or do you have to drill through interior ceiling for a spin mechanism?
Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
It spins and has a amp with led lights to adjust direction.
Much better than the flat stationary dish.
I used the existing hole that the coax goes to roof and had to make it larger. I think it needed 1 1/2" or so. See install manual.
I used the existing hole but had to make it larger for this new antenna.

Check this video
https://youtu.be/91V_UtMTkww

I also attached the owners manual.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
It spins and has a amp with led lights to adjust direction.
Much better than the flat stationary dish.
I used the existing hole that the coax goes to roof and had to make it larger. I think it needed 1 1/2" or so. See install manual.
I used the existing hole but had to make it larger for this new antenna.

Check this video
https://youtu.be/91V_UtMTkww

I also attached the owners manual.
I didn't realize the Jack antenna went all the way through the roof. The Omni antenna just sits on top so a hole would have to be drilled all the way through to mount the Jack. Not sure if I want to go that route.

Charleston SC
Old 06-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #7

Sorry for the non-clarity on my original...

Yes, I do know about the amp up above the passenger seat. I have worked that both on and off so I know it works (only get tv channels with it on). I have also set the slider to the Antenna mode and confirmed the signal there as well.

To eliminate another variable, I actually pulled the "out" side from the black box (the one that actually feeds all the TV's) and connected it to the "extra" amplifier output to see if that would help when just watching off the antenna -- didn't really help.

As another pointed out, my concern with going to the Jack antenna is having to poke a hole on the inside of the camper -- not sure the wife would be up for that one. Although, it does look close to the overhead light that is right there.

cjd10, thanks, I will have to pull those covers to see them. Do you recall if they were powered/amplified splitters? Changing these out for some high quality distribution amps may be the "easiest" method -- instead of the Jack. If I do go with the Jack, may have to get someone a little better with the finish work to do it rather than me.

Thanks again
Old 06-03-2015, 04:55 AM   #8

"cjd10, thanks, I will have to pull those covers to see them. Do you recall if they were powered/amplified splitters? Changing these out for some high quality distribution amps may be the "easiest" method -- instead of the Jack. If I do go with the Jack, may have to get someone a little better with the finish work to do it rather than me."

The splitters were not powered. I did replace the one up front to insure I had a good quality splitter and it did help a little. I also installed another powered amplifier at the output of the selector box and that increased the signal strength on both TVs. Doing this helps if there is a signal coming in to be amplified, however, that dome antenna just doesn't seem to have much of a range. An example of this is we were at Hunting Island this past weekend and some friends of ours in their camper with the batwing were pulling in 4 local channels with no modifications and we were only able to pick up 1 sometimes.

Charleston SC
Old 06-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #9

I have a 2013 351ds my splitter was in the cabinet over my head more in the middle af the 2 cabinets I took it out and put in a 3 chanel switch I had a dome satellite installed I had to find the splitter so each TV could watch cable or satellite our antenna. Good luck
Grouch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouch1 View Post
I have a 2013 351ds my splitter was in the cabinet over my head more in the middle af the 2 cabinets I took it out and put in a 3 chanel switch I had a dome satellite installed I had to find the splitter so each TV could watch cable or satellite our antenna. Good luck
How did you get the back of the cabinets out? Did you have to break them to get them out?

I liked it better when they were just behind the existing amp and plug! I could get back there without any "destruction".

Summer trip out to New Orleans next week, so will have to do some digging during any of my "down" time.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #11

I pulled the cable heard were the noise was and cut a hole and was lucky I was right on it I just covered the hole with a plate
Grouch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #12

I had the same problem with my 2011 Georgetown 327DS. There should be a 4-way splitter behind the amplifier in the overhead and there just wasn't enough signal getting to the TVs. I connected the output of the switchbox to a single port amplifier which feeds the cable going to the splitter. This provided a needed signal boost for not only the antenna, but also the park cable and the aux inputs to the switchbox. Best of all, no cutting to get to the splitter behind the cabinet and there's AC power in the cabinet for the amplifier.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna