Old 07-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #1

364 rear black tank

So during our first camping week I tried out the black flush on the rear black tank. I dumped it first, then hooked up a hose and turned on the water. I came inside to watch the gauge as I filled. After a couple of minutes I noticed air bubbles leaking up through the seal in the toilet.

Now at this point I did something really stupid: I stepped on the toilet pedal. Of course all the pressure that was building up inside the tank exploded upward, sending the water in the bowl spraying all over me and the whole bathroom. Luckily it was just clean water in there, but GAG it was still nasty and of course the air that was released smelled terrible.

Question is, what is going on here? Shouldn't the air pressure be vented through the roof vent? I'm pretty sure it still isn't venting properly, as I can get the toilet to "burp" by running water into the bowl constantly and just opening the valve a little. After a couple minutes of this, the toilet bubbles to let out the building pressure.

Additionally if I just step on the pedal all the way and open it wide, I get a terrible odor each time. The front toilet is nothing like this.

I wanted to make sure I'm not doing something wrong... no valve or something I don't know about that needs to be opened. And assuming not, any tips on figuring out what's blocking the vent and how to get it unblocked?

Old 07-31-2016, 06:06 PM   #2

All I can say is when I hook to the black water flush and start it up I leave the gate open.. I dont even go in to watch gauge cause they never read right anyway

Old 07-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #3

Yes you should leave the black take valve open to flush. Never don't it any other way.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:40 PM   #4

Hm, I was following the RV geeks guide to flushing tanks:

Old 08-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouownbeer View Post
Yes you should leave the black take valve open to flush. Never don't it any other way.

X2. I leave it on til water runs clear out the sewer hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #6

interesting. regardless of the advice to leave the drain open, why is the pressure building? I can't believe that the water is flowing in faster than the vent can release air. this implies the vent is clogged. now I have no experience in this, but from other posts: leaves in vent? bird nest in vent? toilet paper clog in vent? vent not even installed? is there a check valve in the vent? somewhere on other posts I had read that the round pieces of the cutouts sometimes remain in the tank and plug the drain. could one of these be blocking the vent? can you get on a ladder or the roof and snake something down the vent to check to see if it is clogged? other than that i'm at a loss.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #7

x2 on what CHICKDOE said. I have always let the water fill up a bit when I flush the black tank - just seems to clean it better. I would worry about the gases in the black tank building up on a very hot day and giving you a little surprise.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmex View Post
So during our first camping week I tried out the black flush on the rear black tank. I dumped it first, then hooked up a hose and turned on the water. I came inside to watch the gauge as I filled. After a couple of minutes I noticed air bubbles leaking up through the seal in the toilet.

Now at this point I did something really stupid: I stepped on the toilet pedal. Of course all the pressure that was building up inside the tank exploded upward, sending the water in the bowl spraying all over me and the whole bathroom. Luckily it was just clean water in there, but GAG it was still nasty and of course the air that was released smelled terrible.

Question is, what is going on here? Shouldn't the air pressure be vented through the roof vent? I'm pretty sure it still isn't venting properly, as I can get the toilet to "burp" by running water into the bowl constantly and just opening the valve a little. After a couple minutes of this, the toilet bubbles to let out the building pressure.

Additionally if I just step on the pedal all the way and open it wide, I get a terrible odor each time. The front toilet is nothing like this.

I wanted to make sure I'm not doing something wrong... no valve or something I don't know about that needs to be opened. And assuming not, any tips on figuring out what's blocking the vent and how to get it unblocked?
I have been wondering the same thing. I followed other threads discussing the same topic. Unfortunately, the most common response is something along the line of "Oh my, there is a warning sticker on the tank so you can't do that." Well that doesn't really answer the question does it? I would fully expect the the water to continue to fill the tank until it overflowed through the toilet and eventually spraying out the roof vent, not compressing air in the tank like an aerosol can. It is not escaping through the vent as expected. The pressure is so great that any "bird nest" would be shot out like a Potato Gun. And the probablity of "debris" in the tank left over from the installation completely blocking the vent just seems too low to me.

So back to the OP question. WHAT is going on here?
Old 08-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Could be such a thing as your vent tube is too deep into your tank. Take the vent cap off and measure down to the bottom of the tube, then to the bottom of tank. Should have 9-10" at least.
2015 - 41
2016 - 81
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Could be such a thing as your vent tube is too deep into your tank. Take the vent cap off and measure down to the bottom of the tube, then to the bottom of tank. Should have 9-10" at least.
I'm thinking this might be the problem. I don't notice any pressure buildup until the tank is between 1/3 and 2/3 full and then it begins predictably every time. I will try your advice and see if I can figure out how to measure to the bottom of the tube.

Assuming this is the problem, I guess there's no easy fix?

Tags
black, black tank, tank

« Wine rack. | 335DS »