Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #1

364 Rear view camera issues

The rear view camera and side cameras work great during the day..; The issue is the rear camera just goes to a fuzzy white color at night or in the rain.. The side cameras are clear under all conditions but the back camera is another story and we have used all the adjustments on screen with no change at all.. Any suggestions?? I am thinking the rear camera is no good
Old 05-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #2

Rvnut,

Mine is the same- worthless in the rain and usually cannot even see the toad at night. I assumed that it was normal. Works great in the daytime otherwise. I would also be interested in options.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado13 View Post
Rvnut,

Mine is the same- worthless in the rain and usually cannot even see the toad at night. I assumed that it was normal. Works great in the daytime otherwise. I would also be interested in options.
X2
Old 05-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #4
toolman_57

Had the same problem, it's the infrared bulbs in the rear camera. Replaced under warranty.
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:38 AM   #5

do they have to replace the whole camera or can it be done in place with just bulbs?
Old 05-05-2016, 12:55 AM   #6
toolman_57

Whole camera--but it's just a couple screws and a cable connection (as far as I know). The new camera is much better. Not sure what you have now, but the new one has the distance markers and a better sun shield for the daytime.
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #7

Our camera is a Rear View Safety system model number RVS-770613.. I will contact then and see what they say.. I cant deal with another dealer nightmare
Old 05-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnut View Post
Our camera is a Rear View Safety system model number RVS-770613.. I will contact then and see what they say.. I cant deal with another dealer nightmare
Rear View Safety has some of the best tech support staff that you will find. If there is an answer, they will have it. The ph is 800-764-1028
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Rear View Safety has some of the best tech support staff that you will find. If there is an answer, they will have it. The ph is 800-764-1028
You are right.. Their support is great.. I have a couple tests to try tonight in the dark and then they will know what to do.. I had an e-mail from one person and a text from another.. Wow
Old 05-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #10

Let me know what you discover - I'm interested too.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
You are right.. Their support is great.. I have a couple tests to try tonight in the dark and then they will know what to do.. I had an e-mail from one person and a text from another.. Wow
We have had the RVS camera mounted on the back of our cargo for several years. Day vision is very good, night vision is fair provided it is dark. However, headlights from a vehicle behind has a tendency to wash out the picture. The headlights override the infra red. When driving in a rain, the rear camera is in the backwash of air turbulence and moisture. When moisture get on the lens, there is a lot of distortion and blur. This is true of any rear mounted camera exposed to the elements. The backup camera (license plate frame mount) on our TV does the same thing as does our 2500TS RVS camera. Your side mount cameras don't get the same turbulence. I think that night vision will have to do with light metering. I will also be interested in what RVS has to say.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #12

I was late getting back to them today so I am on the list for a call back first thing Monday
Old 05-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #13

After doing a couple tests a new rear camera is ordered..
Old 05-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #14

Quote:
After doing a couple tests a new rear camera is ordered..
Cool, under warranty I presume? Could you share what the tests were? With nothing to compare to, I won't know if my new camera is bad or just doesn't meet my lofty expectations. Would be nice to have a way to test it out.
carmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmex View Post
Cool, under warranty I presume? Could you share what the tests were? With nothing to compare to, I won't know if my new camera is bad or just doesn't meet my lofty expectations. Would be nice to have a way to test it out.
It would be covered under warranty if I was willing to take it to the dealer and they said they would cover the camera but not labor.. I refuse to deal with a crooked dealer so I paid the $100 for a new camera.. Should be here Friday and takes about 10 minutes to install.. That would be a min $125 for a hour at a dealer..

The test was to cover over the iris (green dot under lens) with electrical tape and shield camera with hand and see if you see all the led lights turn red.. If that works leave tape in place and wait for dark. Turn on camera and see if you can still see red lights easily and go see if you get picture.. If picture is white and it all works great during the day then the led's have lost connection with camera.. She says this can happen during shipping to dealer or dropped or treated roughly during install..

If you want to talk to a great gal about your problem this is her name and number..: Priscilla 1-800-764-1028 EXT 770 Rear View Safety

If you have a RVS-770613 system you need a RVS770 camera.. To buy a complete system it is $200 on Amazon so most of the value is in the camera
Old 05-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Going to try this. One major thing I noticed was that I got a thick film of crud from rain and the highway on the camera which deteriorated the picture. At night it was almost non-existent. Going to try these tests

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #17

We have the same problem with the rain so after the camera is corrected we will try a set of mud flaps at the back of the MH to cut back on the swirling moisture.. Just got word the camera is on the way.. Also did your camera have the sunshield installed.. Ours was left off and I hope it helps to.. All the cameras are sold with them but FR or the paint shop decided to eliminate them.. Someone has a big pile on the bench..
Old 05-10-2016, 05:39 PM   #18

The camera lens is very small, so any moisture will blur the picture. It is true for all cameras exposed to the elements. Most of the turbulence at the camera is coming off the roof and the sun visor should help. You may want to paint the visor before installing because the original paint does not hold up well. The camera finish holds up fine.

Suggestion, the screws holding the camera and visor to the bracket are minute. They each also have a washer and lock washer. There are three screws on each side. You can save yourself a lot of grief if you have a magnetic allen wrench. If not, tape an aluminum tray under your work area to catch those ever so tiny screws and washers. If they hit the ground you may never find them. I also used small nails to located the holes and hold the camera, visor and bracket in place while starting the screws. You almost have to have watch maker skills.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:11 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

For me it just wasn't moisture in the lens, but after the rain dried the highway dirt created a nasty film over the lens. Mine does not have the shade.

AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
For me it just wasn't moisture in the lens, but after the rain dried the highway dirt created a nasty film over the lens. Mine does not have the shade.

I dont know why the factory gets rid of the shields.. Maybe its easier to start those small screws without them but someone must have a big pile on their work bench..