Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #1

374ts. Useless awning....canopies?

Does anyone else find the awning on the 374ts, or similar model, almost useless? With the awning over the slide, we've found that shade is only hit and miss, mostly miss. It seems that the only time we get shade are the times we are less likely to be outside at the campsite, around lunch. I'm thinking a couple 10x10 canopies with at least one fold up and down side, maybe 2, would serve us far better than the awning ever could. I might even remove the awning, seal it, and store it?

Thoughts, ideas, experiences.

Thanks

Days Camped 2011 - 52
Days Camped 2012 - 93
GrowingGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
HUMMMM must be Gainesville, FL

"IN THE SWAMP", seems I have heard that before. Must be GATOR country. Correct me if I am wrong. Reread your profile--- Maryland, do you really have a swamp?

And soon as you remove the awning, when the occasion arises your D/W will say, what in the heck did you remove the awning for? This place where we are parked is just right for it?????????????

Sorry about trying to upstage your lifestyle and standing in the world of college football by placing you in the dreadful city of Gainesville, FL. GO GATORS!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Our awning is not over a slide but we have the same situation. It doesn't slant much from the top to bottom like manual awnings do. I believe the new units have adjustment knobs. I think someone posted it here a few months ago. It does do a good job of keeping rain away if you want to sit outside but stay clear of the side that dumps the water. Just certain times of the day it's just about useless. I may add the shade attachment soon.

Products - Dometic

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
"IN THE SWAMP", seems I have heard that before. Must be GATOR country. Correct me if I am wrong. Reread your profile--- Maryland, do you really have a swamp?

And soon as you remove the awning, when the occasion arises your D/W will say, what in the heck did you remove the awning for? This place where we are parked is just right for it?????????????

Sorry about trying to upstage your lifestyle and standing in the world of college football by placing you in the dreadful city of Gainesville, FL. GO GATORS!

No need to reread my profile. Yes, Maryland does have swamps. Mostly in the Southern counties along the Chesapeake Bay. Cypress Swamp in Calvert County is one. I live next to a 1000 acre swamp In Anne Arundel.

No big deal. Lived in Ormond Beach.

Actually, the other half suggested I sell the thing. But I figured it was best to keep it in the event we ever sell.

Days Camped 2011 - 52
Days Camped 2012 - 93
Old 07-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #5

Charlie and Sheri have a similar awning to ours - pretty much sticks straight out. I'm also thinking of add ons - for shade as well as mosquitoes. Has anyone actually got those for these awnings and how much trouble is it to put them up? Would you do it for a one night stay?
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
Charlie and Sheri have a similar awning to ours - pretty much sticks straight out. I'm also thinking of add ons - for shade as well as mosquitoes. Has anyone actually got those for these awnings and how much trouble is it to put them up? Would you do it for a one night stay?
Ours sticks straight out too. Although there are adjustments, anything over a few of inches rubs the slideout. The dealer told us to always keep it high as it will go, allowing the rear to tilt slightly for water run-off. He said he had seen a few like ours replaced because of the constant rubbing against the slideout wearing the fabric through, holes and runs. I'd never considered a screen or add-on. The number of times I've seen guys fighting sceens and straps during sudden winds or storms...the damage I've seen from it. Not worth my time. I've seen guys with canopies drop it to the ground with the click of 4 buttons and have the cover off in just minutes, while the guys with awnings are still messing with straps, etc...My phone gives me constant weather updates and alerts so I fell pretty comfortable with the idea. I've been witness to several storms that destroyed awnings, yet canopies that had been dropped down survived.

Days Camped 2011 - 52
Days Camped 2012 - 93
Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #7

On my 378TS the with the awning as high as it goes STILL rubs the slide. Yes very little to NO shade other than it does keep the sun off of the side thus preventing some heating during the day. Mine also leaks where the metal protective cove attaches to the awing! Bought our unit in another province do to price difference and now the local dealer refuses to do warrantee work
CanadianRVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #8

To the question of mosquito awnings... We used ours for the first time this summer. 10 minutes to put up.... But we are pretty handy.
Works ok... But over the time we were there, it became covered in tree sap and filth.... So it took me a whole afternoon to clean it off before storing it. Did I mention it weighs about 100 pounds... I think for most trips, I would be fine with a couple of mosquito coils.... I might consider it again if I ever take a seasonal sight.... Also... We were in a very sheltered city spot... Would hate to have it attached to my trailer during a major wind storm....might end up like Dorthy... Flying to Oz.
However, that being said... There are free standing screen units, that weigh under 20 pounds and set up like an umbrella... One push... I am thinking that might be a nicer accessory for us.
Ps... The attached units cost over $1000. Where I live.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRVER View Post
On my 378TS the with the awning as high as it goes STILL rubs the slide. Yes very little to NO shade other than it does keep the sun off of the side thus preventing some heating during the day. Mine also leaks where the metal protective cove attaches to the awing! Bought our unit in another province do to price difference and now the local dealer refuses to do warrantee work
We have a leak almost dead center in the same area where the metal cover attaches to the fabric. It's not bad as long as there's nothing below it that the dripping will get wet.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning