Old 01-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
378 Black Water Valve Replacement - Tips?

I need to replace black water waste valve (has gotten so stiff I've broken plastic handle ) I've picked up a Valterra 3" Bladex valve from local RV dealer as replacement . Before I started I thought I'd post this to see if anyone who 's changed out black water valves had any tips, cautions etc I should be aware of . Appreciate hearing from you guys

Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
Fill the tank about half way with water and a good cleaner.

Or something like it, let it sit over night.
Drain and flush a couple of times.
I would then raise the drain side a few inches so that anything still in the tank can not run out while you are swapping out the valve.

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Let us know how you made out. Mine is getting a little hard to close so I may be doing mine some time soon.
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #4
First rule of changing out the black tank valve, don't get shat upon. Hope you have a lot of clearance so you can get some vise grips on what's left of the handle to open the valve and dump before removing the valve, or rig up something to sluice the offal away from you as you uncouple it. You would not overdo it by suiting up in a Tyvek suit and have someone tape the arms to your gloves, and have someone ready to hose you off.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
Hope you have slack in pipes to get the old valve out and new one back in they had to cut 2 = 11/2 gray line to get the new one back in
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #6
Just replaced both valves due to an unfortunate collision between an immovable object that the waste drain below the coach.

1) Flush well...even tip the unit towards the valve to help get the very last drop.

2) I drove home with the grey valve open.

3) remove the brackets in the compartment and below the compartment.

4) take off the bolts, back them out and replace the valve. You may have to take out the grey valve first so that there is more room to push the waste ell back to get the gaskets out.

5) replace.

On my 335 it took about an hour, but then I had to replace the entire waste ell as well as the lower piping.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #7
Grumpy Old Curmudgeon
I just did mine last summer. I keep my TT at home and did it in the driveway. I had dumped my tanks and flushed them well before I came home and after I got it set up in the driveway completely just like going camping, +-1* both laterally and longitudinally, I took a 5 gal bucket and removed the y cap and let the buildup from the BWV leakage drain into the bucket. I then opened the BWV and let any residual drain out and then disassembled the 3" BWV. I had to remove the y piping and then reassemble with new orings and was careful not to over tighten. I used nitril gloves and was careful not to get any black water splashing around. When I finished I scrubbed the piping down and the driveway under it and everything was fine. I used several pairs of gloves because every time I was into the job i would have to stop so i would remove my glove to prevent cross contamination of the BW residue.

Not a complicated job you just have to pony up working in Dooky!!
Puma 29FQS
LBZ GMC Sierra 2500HD, CCSB, 4WD, D/A,
Marauderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:24 AM   #8
Have to replace mine just broke one side of the T on the handle. Looks pretty straight forward, hardest part is gonna be me, having a knee replacement 3 months ago, but we'll get her done.

Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378XL
2015 Ford Taurus
Our Baby Dachshund
ramair is online now   Reply With Quote

black, black water, replacement, water