Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #1

Unhappy 378 Couch (Sleeper sofa) Mounting in Slide

Have any of you 378 owners noticed how the couch is mounted in the main slide. From day one ours seemed to have a slant to the front making it feel like you are trying to slide off the couch. That has been bugging me to no end sooooo, yesterday I went through a full investigation of the mounting.

I found that the front legs to the couch actually extend past the slide floor and with the slide out the legs sit on the coach floor, which is about 1/2 inch lower than the slide. When the slide is in the front legs are touching nothing (except the carpet that extends past the slide). That also means that when you set on it the front of the couch would mash down until the couch frame behind the legs rested on the slide edge. That is 1 1/4" drop. On top of that mess the "mounts" that holds the couch in the slide is 4 small angle brackets and mine were secured with 1 screw in each, which had torn out. Nice.

Today I removed the couch and moved the front legs back 6 inches to get the weight past the slide floor taper. Re drilled the mounting brackets to accept 2 screws in the floor and 2 in the couch. Remounted the whole affair and now it sits correctly - you don't slide forward, and you can safely sit on it with the slide in.

Whoever at Georgetown thought this up needs his backside kicked.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #2

For a hundred thousand dollar RV they really s**t (Lets call it what it is.) these things together.
I see how mine is put together and the workmanship isn't that great.
Thanks Forrest River.
jojo bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Have any of you 378 owners noticed how the couch is mounted in the main slide. From day one ours seemed to have a slant to the front making it feel like you are trying to slide off the couch. That has been bugging me to no end sooooo, yesterday I went through a full investigation of the mounting.

I found that the front legs to the couch actually extend past the slide floor and with the slide out the legs sit on the coach floor, which is about 1/2 inch lower than the slide. When the slide is in the front legs are touching nothing (except the carpet that extends past the slide). That also means that when you set on it the front of the couch would mash down until the couch frame behind the legs rested on the slide edge. That is 1 1/4" drop. On top of that mess the "mounts" that holds the couch in the slide is 4 small angle brackets and mine were secured with 1 screw in each, which had torn out. Nice.

Today I removed the couch and moved the front legs back 6 inches to get the weight past the slide floor taper. Re drilled the mounting brackets to accept 2 screws in the floor and 2 in the couch. Remounted the whole affair and now it sits correctly - you don't slide forward, and you can safely sit on it with the slide in.

Whoever at Georgetown thought this up needs his backside kicked.

well well well, i'm sure glad i'm not the only owner with a case of OCD.... that has bugged me from day one,an like you thought i must take matters in own hands, i also found mine as you did so i took it all apart an relocated sofa to the wall an screwed it back down, all is well , its is better but i think it is the nature of sofa to feel like your a little forward at least i do an i've done everything including jumping up an down on it .. if you browse the country on the web an different dealers you'll see they used a different sofa that fits under the curtain thing without touching like ours does.I think in general rv furniture is far from res. but i guess we all know that.... for the gentleman comments to yours , i would not be too hard on FR, yes there not without some problems, but so aren't the $500k jobs,its all apart of it ... makes us smarter buyers next time around .....
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #4

Well...we are getting rid of the couch and chair in our 378. The bride could not ever get comfortable on the slippery couch and I didn't like being stuffed in a corner while sitting in the Euro chair. And no place for a end table. So we found a zero wall clearance, two seat home theater set from Lazeboy that would fit and still have room for a small end table. Can't wait for it to get here!

P.S. Anybody want to buy a nearly new couch?
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #5

wow fantastic, we've been looking for something like that,could you post a model number or a pic to see ? thanks
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydriven View Post
wow fantastic, we've been looking for something like that,could you post a model number or a pic to see ? thanks
Don't have the model number with me but it's called the Pinnacle line. We ordered it in the version that can work while real close to a wall. And we got it in a leather covering. We also like the fact that it has two drawers in the center section. Everybody needs at least one "Junk" drawer.....
Attached Images

Max E. Dog, the new pup
Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
We are replacing ours too, just because we want two real recliners there. So, we got a RV double recliner from discountvantruck.com its much like the recliner above but has another seat in the middle with a back that folds down that you can set beverages etc. on. It is also in a color matching the rest of funiture and is in ultraleather. It has storage under the middle seat.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #8

I have noticed our couch leaning forward as well, and it really irritates my wife. I just noticed a piece of the fabric flaked off on the arm. It is at the dealer's, interesting to hear what FR says about it. Prior to this, I had the dealer raise the front of the couch by putting in a block of wood between the carpet and the slide underneath the front legs. Helped marginally. JimF, I may try your solution, it sounds good. Also the suggestion to replace it with two recliners is a good idea. How much did that solution cost?

Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
Sherlock

2012 378TS
Did the old & new sofas fit through the door? Did you replace just the original sofa with the new one or the sofa & chair?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwood12800 View Post
2012 378TS
Did the old & new sofas fit through the door? Did you replace just the original sofa with the new one or the sofa & chair?
We don't have it yet, but, it comes in three sections and the backs come off. I don't see any problem getting it in the door. The problem might end up being getting the old stuff out the door. And yes, we are getting rid of that worthless Eurochair and stool.
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Old 01-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
We don't have it yet, but, it comes in three sections and the backs come off. I don't see any problem getting it in the door. The problem might end up being getting the old stuff out the door. And yes, we are getting rid of that worthless Eurochair and stool.
I am also getting Lazy Boy recliners for my 378.

For those who have already gotten their recliners, is there anything special that needs to be known or done to get the new recliners in the motorhome?

But more importantly, anything special to get the sofa/sleeper out, other than completely dismantling the "monster"?

Thanks for your replies.

Pete
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gartonhl View Post
I am also getting Lazy Boy recliners for my 378.

For those who have already gotten their recliners, is there anything special that needs to be known or done to get the new recliners in the motorhome?

But more importantly, anything special to get the sofa/sleeper out, other than completely dismantling the "monster"?

Thanks for your replies.

Pete
We get our home theater set in about 2 weeks. If I have to...I'll use a saws-all to get the old junk out.....
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Old 01-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
We get our home theater set in about 2 weeks. If I have to...I'll use a saws-all to get the old junk out.....
We got ours yesterday. Actually, it was harder to get the sleeper sofa out, since the backs didn't come off. Two of the backs come off on the new recliner and the middle with the back folded down was 27 in.. The door is 30in. wide but if you don't take the screen door off you only have about 28 in. I did have to take the inside assist bar off for removal and installation. We are really happy with ours. It is 71" long and there is enough room on each side of it to put a 12" wide endtable of both sides. Now we leave the driver's seat facing forward and all the way forward and put the euro recliner that came with the motorhome in that spot. It makes for a nice neat appearing living space.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
Pete

Installed our two Lazy Boy recliners

We finally got our Lazy Boy Pinnacle recliners and installed in our motorhome. We have a GT 378TS. Just sold our house and are now full timing.

What a GREAT difference they make. It seems like more space and they are certainly much more comfortable than the sleeper sofa that came in the motorhome. The weight is less also, even with the table between the recliners.

It took about 1 hour to get the old sleeper sofa removed and the new recliners installed. Should have done this mod 2 years ago.

The back on the sleeper sofa comes off by pulling up, just like the recliners. However, I needed to take a 1x2 to assist in breaking loose the back and get it started up off the sofa itself. I guess the wood had swollen due to humidity here in Texas.

I have included pics that hopefully will help those that are also making this modification.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	10046   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0604.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	10047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0605.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	10048  
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #15

As I had stated before we ordered a Laz E Boy home theater unit (Pinnicle model with the "wall-away" feature because we are putting in the slide and we have limited room) more than a month ago. Got the call it was in and went to pick it up on Sat. Removed the "old" couch from the motorhome (not to bad, it came apart) and put the new Laz E Boy in the slide. Promply determined that we did not get the wall- away feature in the couch! I was fired up, and in no mood to negotiate with the couch sales folks. When I called them they stated "you can't get that model with the Wall Away feature". We could have been told that when we ordered. Returned the Laz E Boy to the sales store, put it in front of the entrance and walked in, got our money back and found a "going out of business" Basset Furniture Store. Walked in and walked right to a $2800 Wall Away Home Theater Couch for $1400. Somebody was watching over us! Bought on the spot and installed in coach on Sat, screwed it down to the slide on Sun. It looks great. Will post pics as soon as I remember to take the camera to the coach. Whew, glad to get that off my chest!!!!!!
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Old 01-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #16

Here's the follow up pic of what we installed this weekend.
Attached Images

Max E. Dog, the new pup
Old 03-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #17

Only been a few weeks but I'm already in the "I hate the 378 couch club". Looking at a 3 seater couch where the outer 2 recline.

For those that have already gone this route does the slider seem to have any problems with the extra wieght?

Also a little concerned that the front legs are going to fall dang close to the tapered leading edge on the slider where the wood is quite thin. Wondering how others have dealt with this. From photos it looks like some might not be bolting down their sofas at all so they just slide out and pull them forward a few inches so the legs are off the slider. Could get a little ugly if we ever hit something and the furniture joins us in the front cab..... Guess I could also get into modding the couch to weld/bolt in a bar a few inches back from the existing location.....

Why is it every project is a custom job in these RVs

All the new shelves are installed, think the two extras in the bathroom cabinet are going to really help. Was really happy with the color match of the minwax cherry stain. Also made a poor man`s safe by installing two trays in the voids on either side of the small drawer under the washer/dryer cabinet. You need to take the drawer out to access it but seems like a good spot for passports yada yada that might get overlooked by someone on a smash and grab. Next project am doing a cutout over the rearmost bedroom hanging cabinet for a poke thru DVR mount. Should be great cause the power for the TV and all the connections are already in that cabinet. Managed to remove the piece of wood with only six screws so I can do the cutout in the shop. It`s bizarre what they made the cabinets out of, thin pieces of pine sandwiched between two pieces of doorskin panel, never seen it`s like before. Just going to hang a flat metal plate from the ceiling behind the cutout to hold the unit. Off to a neighbors to use his scroll saw for a tidy cut.

All input on couches in that main slider greatly appreciated.
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #18

Ok, we went to this website RV Furniture,Seats,RV Marine Boat Furniture Sofa Beds

I got in touch with them and asked them for samples of the fabrics so we could match what was in the motor already as close as possible. After we looked over the samples which they mailed to us we ordered the DeLeon RV double recliner (you can get the samples right on the DeLeon RV Double recliner page by clicking the box for that) in ultraleather in the #IL102 cream color, it is almost a perfect match to the rest of the furniture in the motorhome. You have your choice of color on the inserts in the seat backs. We got them the same color as the rest of the couch. We were a bit apprehensive about buying an expensive piece of furniture like this sight unseen. Plus it was $250 shipping to us in south Texas. You can see, though, that other people has spent $1400 on the same thing. I think with the shipping at that time it was $1450. But, we are very happy with our double recliner. It is very well made and has an all metal frame on it and looks like it will last forever. We got the 71" model and there is enough room to put a 12" wide endtable on each side of the recliner. Which we got at Oak Express on sale for $40 each. We are very, very happy with the way it looks and it is oh so comfortable for watch TV. We don't turn around the drivers seat any more and set the euro-recliner there. When traveling we put the euro-recliner on the couch and the foot rest on the bed. We plan on getting a good air mattress to use when we have guests, probably a queen sized aero bed. Oh, it took almost a month to get it after we ordered it. Again, we are very happy with it. We sold our old sleeper couch for $250 so that paid for the shipping. It was pretty easy to sell as we are in an RV park in south Texas with a lot of old mobile homes with old furniture in them.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #19

Good for you! We sold our orginal couch and eurochair for $460. I think we got away with a good deal! Oh, and the new recliners sleep just fine!!!!!
Max E. Dog, the new pup