Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #1

378 drop leaf table mods?

So, next on the list is doing something to make the drop leaf table usable.

The slides on mine were really loose so I just ran screws through the whole assembly so the top can no longer slide from side go side but at least its solid with no wobbling. I then planed down the bottom of two of the table feet so the four feet sit level on the floor. The problem is that it still wobbles badly if anyone puts their elbows on the table, or knocks it, if it is not screwed down to the floor. With the carpet and underlay padding, the foot-print of the center pedestal just doesn't seem to be large enough to provide stability. We'd like to be able to use the table for playing cards, but as it is I'd be scared to have anyone put a drink on it.

I'm lookiong at some screw on plates on Lee Valley's site that let you thread a table leg into the mounting plate. I was thinking of making four spindle table legs that I could thread onto mounting plates on the four corners of the table for extra stability when I wanted it.

Anyone come up with other creative solutions?
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
I bought an adjustable leg(metal but painted brown) at a RV store. I mounted it on on the flip up leaf just a tad bit off center so it would fold up along side the main post. It works really well when the table is extended. Also, for the looseness in the slide, I bought a package of those wooden door frame wedges and jam two of them into the slide when I get the table pulled out. I also leave them in the slides when it is pushed in, so it doesn't move when traveling. I take them out to slide the table and put them back in when its in place.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #3

No solution to the wobble but my table kept on trying to extend out into the aisle while travelling.
I drilled a hole thru the wood slide under the table and inserted a short metal pin which makes it stationary. When I arrive I pukk the pin out if I want to extend the table out.

Like to see any pictures if you find a solution to the wobble.
It just may be to get another table with a wider base.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #4

Hey Don,

I'm assuming with the single leg mod you leave the table in the bumpout bolted to the floor at all times and just slide the table top inwards to flip the leaves up?

Ideally I'd like to be able to move the table into the center of the room as I just cannot remind myself about the ceiling hieght and I keep braining myself on the bumpout ceiling when I go to sit down. You'd think a few good whacks would learn me....but it appears not.....
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #5

Our table needed several modifications to make it useable. First I removed the cheese ball hinges on the leaves and replaced both of them with piano hinges, Second I replaced the bolts at the base with stronger ones to hold the pedestal in a more rigid stance. Third I drilled a hole through one side of the slide rail under the table and added a screen door pin, the one with the chain on it, and insert it when I want the table to be in its most balanced position. As a general rule we keep one floor pin in the table at all times as it is needed to keep it from tipping if it is in the extended position. We have used the table in the center of the motor home to play cards on and it has worked relatively well. It could be that I removed the carpet in the living room and on the slides and replaced with grouted tiles, but that's another story.
CVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinkorSwim View Post
So, next on the list is doing something to make the drop leaf table usable.

Anyone come up with other creative solutions?
Your ideas got me going on mine. Checked for folding/telescoping legs on line, hard to find and ain't cheap.

I took a piece of 30" black iron pipe in the garage size 1/2". Quite strong, added a "floor flange or closed flange screwed on with orig threads. Cut to suit on other end and slipped on plastic protect cap. Assembly painted flat black, when table is out squeezed new leg under and is tight upwards. No more droop only 10% of earlier wiggle. Total cost 5 bucks for flange. Orig design is great itea gone bad! I keep a cheap fold up table under bunk for games. DR table looks better bolted down.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #7

You might read this thread from a week or two ago. I'm really happy with my table after the changes I made. Details in this thread

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ble-22625.html
Old 06-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #8

It's been a couple of years since I worked on mine, but as I recall, where the pedestal attaches to the base was loose. Upon examination, I noticed the heads of the bolts/screws (I can't remember which) were digging into the wood (no washers). I added washers and was then able to really crank them tight. That helped considerably.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote